Keeping my PC going until I can afford a new rig

Hey guys, as the title suggests I'm basically looking to keep my PC gaming smoothly for a few more months until I have enough to get a new one sorted out.

What I'm looking for is suggestions for some cheap upgrades just to keep it going for a bit, so I can play WoW without the ridiculous amount of framerate drops I currently get (on Low), as well as being able to play some newer games (like Dragon Age: Inquisition) relatively issue-free.

I'm definitely in need of a CPU, as DA:I requires a quad-core, and the one I have now is pretty knackered.

The parts I have currently:

Motherboard: Gigabyte M61PME-S2P
    CPU: AMD Phenom II X2 545 3.0GHz.
    Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GTS 250
    RAM: 2x2GB DDR2 1066MHz
    PSU: OCZ 400SXS 400W

As I've said, I'll be replacing it in a few months when I have enough saved up, and this is meant purely as a temporary easing, so I would prefer to just replace the graphics card and/or CPU for now. I'm based in the UK, so UK or Ireland sellers would be ideal, and would like to keep the cost together around £150-£200, if possible.

If you need to know any more, please ask away, and aye, I'm aware the whole lot is hella old, but I've had next to no money in recent years to replace anything. :P

Cheers!

How old is the OCZ PSU?
    If you must insist on using a non-sanctioned sitting apparatus, please consider the tensile strength
    of the materials present in the object in question in comparison to your own mass volumetric density.

In other words, stop breaking shit with your fat ass.

Probably around as old as the rest. Something like 5 years, maybe 6.

Edit: Yeah, about 6 years old.
    Last edited by Lawci; 2014-12-11 at 03:09 PM.

Then it's probably time for a replacement

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i3-4130 3.4GHz Dual-Core Processor (£78.79 @ Aria PC)
    Motherboard: MSI H81M-P33 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£31.74 @ Ebuyer)
    Memory: G.Skill Value 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£27.22 @ Ebuyer)
    Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply (£31.15 @ Aria PC)
    Total: £168.90
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-11 15:07 GMT+0000

You can get a new GPU later on and eventually add another 4GB stick of memory.
    If you must insist on using a non-sanctioned sitting apparatus, please consider the tensile strength
    of the materials present in the object in question in comparison to your own mass volumetric density.

Oh Brilliant! Thanks a lot! Aye, the whole lot will be getting replaced sometime in the new year once I've saved a few months' worth of disposable income!

Is there an option you'd recommend on a quad-core, so I can play Dragon Age, as well, by any chance? Minimum system requirements are not my friend for that game..
    Last edited by Lawci; 2014-12-11 at 03:26 PM.

The i3 is a psuedo-quad-core thanks to it's hyper-threading(2 cores + 2 virtual cores) and DA:I will run on it just fine. It just refuses to run on straight dual-cores(like your X2 or my G3258) because reasons.
    Last edited by tielknight; 2014-12-11 at 04:27 PM.

Beautiful! Thanks so much!

Deleted
    What will be your budget for that new build?

I am aiming for high hundreds. Possibly around £1000, though I'd say it's flexible enough that I may go a bit higher.

Deleted
    I figured something like that. Do not get the i3 set up, with a budget of 800-1000 pounds you can probably get a 4690k + 970.

TBH, I would just live with your system for now. It might be painful, but anything you spend on it now is pretty much wasted imo.

Did some looking around for 1000 pounds. You can get this system

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (£167.50 @ Amazon UK)
    CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 93.3 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler (£59.99 @ Aria PC)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£107.96 @ Scan.co.uk)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory (£59.79 @ Ebuyer)
    Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£76.24 @ Ebuyer)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£39.99 @ Amazon UK)
    Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card (£269.94 @ Amazon UK)
    Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case (£87.13 @ Scan.co.uk)
    Power Supply: XFX XTR 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£69.92 @ More Computers)
    Total: £938.46
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-12 10:34 GMT+0000
    Last edited by mmoc24391763c2; 2014-12-12 at 10:36 AM.

See, I would live with it for now, but it'll be a few months into next year before I can, and it's started being very bad, so I wanted to throw together an affordable bandage-type thing so I could comfortably play until I can get the machine sorted. Able to cash in on Xmas for it, for the most part, anyways.

I very much appreciate the recommendation, though. Thanks very much!

Maybe if you have a bit bigger budget above the 169 pounds, you could get a higher wattage PSU and/or 8G memory. That way you can use it again in the new build. Maybe it is cheaper in the long run. 500W might be okay but might also not. Depends on the graphics card you will buy in 6 months.