Page 1 of 3
LastLast

battle.net general forum vs mmo general

Why are these two forums so different, what i am reading here is WoD is the best expansion since TBC but battle.net forum posts are all whining bored/unsubbing etc. like this expansion is the worst ever.
    Is this hardcore gamers (mmo) vs regular gamers differences or the stuff I am reading there are all from trolls made by other mmo-game companies?

Because if you're arrogant enough to think that a "I'm unsubbing" post is needed, then you're sure as hell going to inform the developers of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by holynorth View Post
    Because if you're arrogant enough to think that a "I'm unsubbing" post is needed, then you're sure as hell going to inform the developers of the game.
    well i am still deciding whether or not to get this expansion, after reading this post http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/15538885908 i kind of leaning toward wait for 1-2 more major patches.

7+ Year Old Account
    These forums attract more of a general crowd. The WOW forums is where people go to complain. The people that aren't complaining, well they're playing the game.

What Aka said. The only times I post on the official forums is to voice my displeasure at something. For example, when they changed PL to NBG was the first time I'd posted there in 3 years. Not much point complaining here as it's not read by devs anywhere near the same level. People who complain here do so because they like the echo chamber.
    Quote Originally Posted by DSRilk View Post
    The true measure of a person is how they act when they know they won't get caught.

*shrug* it's all opinion. People that stop playing won't have as much to discuss here.

For what it's worth:
    Dungeons: Far better than MoP, very enjoyable
    Raids: Highmaul's been decent, but can't really judge the expansion yet after only half a tier
    Dailies: Nonexistent for the most part, a huge mark AGAINST WoD. Mandatory dailies of MoP were annoying, but lack of dailies is just as bad.
    Questing: WoD is heads and shoulders above MoP imo, as well as Cataclysm. Bonus Objectives were a nice way to handle some of the extraneous "kill/gather a bunch of random crap" stuff.
    Lack of flight: Still adds nothing to the game, while increasing time requirements, in my opinion.
    Garrison: Enjoyable, but does remove a lot of reason to venture into the world and marginalizes gathering professions (and, to some extent, crafting professions).

Overall I've found WoD questing to be enjoyable, instances to be enjoyable, garrison to be enjoyable, but the world itself to be less enjoyable AFTER hitting max level (due to a combination of lack of dailies, lack of flight, and lack of repeatable things to do and the use of mob grinding as the sole means of building rep).

*shrug* for what it's worth.

I dunno, I see plenty of bitching and QQuitting here as well?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

15+ Year Old Account
    People think Blizzard devs read the official Blizz forums (big lol) and don't read fansite forums (even bigger LOL).
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Ah, i remember when battle net general RU forum was filled with "X guild on Y server is shit! Look at the video where we camp their GM for half of an hour lololol".

But to be honest, i've seen enough positive and negative opinions about WoD on both forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
    People think Blizzard devs read the official Blizz forums (big lol) and don't read fansite forums (even bigger LOL).
    I've had replies from devs (not gms) on official forums. That counts for more than what some PR lackey may or may not read on a third party site. "Lol" all you want. I'm sure they'll chime in here to support your position. "Blizzard" does put some effort in to monitoring fan sites, but devs aren't spending their time reading your posts here unless someone gives them a good reason to.
    The true measure of a person is how they act when they know they won't get caught.

Main thing is the WoW forums don't have megathreads whereas anything significantly negative can be kept to a single topic here. The ToS is also different and doesn't employ prohibited topics like these forums do [ie: US vs EU, 10 vs 25 man etc], so the standards are higher here on MMO-C. They're official company forums so they're not going to really restrict discussion as much even if it's beating a dead horse or a flamebait thread.
    Last edited by MrExcelion; 2014-12-16 at 04:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Janaa View Post
    What Aka said. The only times I post on the official forums is to voice my displeasure at something. For example, when they changed PL to NBG was the first time I'd posted there in 3 years. Not much point complaining here as it's not read by devs anywhere near the same level. People who complain here do so because they like the echo chamber.
    ok i guess the complaining posts are concentrated there, but the points they raised are from playing the same game this community plays right?
    the post i referenced above has so many replies that whine about many aspects of WoD, i would like to confirm with you guys if they are true?
    1. not much to do after you hit 100, no dailies and only some shards thing you can farm to kill time, no hp/vp means heroics are meaningless after you got what you want.
    2. world outside of garrison is dead after you find everything (some treasures or rares, i am not so sure)
    3. garrison is a facebook kind of game, i never played one so i don't know why that is bad
    4. professions are fked up
    5. raiding in general is not as active as before and lfr is getting worse (some trash boss farming? no idea what that is)
    6. new pvp zone is a mess.
    and alot of posts want flying back but i am neutral about it.

idk, you guys think another 1-2 content patches some of these issues will be addressed?

People having fun with the game have no real reason to go to the battle.net forums. That's why it appears filled with people complaining. As mentioned above.

Quote Originally Posted by kejer View Post
    ok i guess the complaining posts are concentrated there, but the points they raised are from playing the same game this community plays right?
    the post i referenced above has so many replies that whine about many aspects of WoD, i would like to confirm with you guys if they are true?
    1. not much to do after you hit 100, no dailies and only some shards thing you can farm to kill time, no hp/vp means heroics are meaningless after you got what you want.
    2. world outside of garrison is dead after you find everything (some treasures or rares, i am not so sure)
    3. garrison is a facebook kind of game, i never played one so i don't know why that is bad
    5. raiding in general is not as active as before and lfr is getting worse (some trash boss farming? no idea what that is)

idk, you guys think another 1-2 content patches some of these issues will be addressed?
    1. Subjective, but still early days. Some dailies would be nice, but they're just artificial "stuff to do". I easily fill the 2-4 hours I play a night. School kids with 6-8 hours to spare may run out of stuff to do besides grinding.
    2. No more so than previously. There's never been a dynamic world.
    3. Garrisons are a bit of a mini game, especially the mission aspect. Not bad per se, plenty of people like this. There should be a bit more dynamicism to them since they're the expac focus. It is a bit samey day after day once you know why you're doing, but like those repetitive Facebook games, some people like this.
    4. Professions are indeed pretty bad. Some people like them, some don't. They're so different to what we've had in the past, YMMV.
    5. Raids are early days. LFR has been out for one week with one wing. Give it more time. Blizz are trying to push people who can afford the time into normal raids, even if via the new Group Finder, by making LFR even easier than it already was and removing tier gear from LFR. Still viable for super-casuals, as you won't need the tier gear for LFR content anyway
    6. Yes, Ashran is a joke.

I wouldn't wait 2 patches if I were you. About now is a good time to start since a lot of the initial broken stuff has been fixed, balanced or improved. By the time you hit 100 and are starting to get good results from your garrison, tier 3 LFR will be open and you'll have a good time.

Also, get the addon "master plan" to improve your garrison mission UI. Everybody should have this. It is so very very good and beautifully integrated, if you don't want to spoil the look of the original UI.
    Last edited by Janaa; 2014-12-16 at 05:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Akaihiryuu View Post
    These forums attract more of a general crowd. The WOW forums is where people go to complain. The people that aren't complaining, well they're playing the game.
    That goes with any game too. BF4 had a really bad release, but the people that could play were enjoying it so they didn't vent their frustrations out on the EA forums like so many others.

1. They replaced dailies with a general daily quest for the new currency which replaced hp/vp. First heroic of the day gives you garrison resources which is essential because you need A LOT of resources to max all your buildings out, and with 6.1 or 6.2 possibly bringing in a tier 4 garrison, your going to need some stocked up either way.
    2. I could see this from some peoples point of view, but it heavily relies on what garrison buildings you pick as some REQUIRE you to go out into the world to make up these work orders (like the barn so you can get savage blood for your professions - otherwise, atleast on my server, you will be paying 2k gold per one, and you need a minimum of 15 to start upgrading the gear you craft - there are other ways to get savage blood, which requires you to be out in the world even more cause its a lot more farm heavy)
    3. Garrisons are awesome. I honestly didn't think I would like it that much, I liked the concept of it coming from like SWTOR with the folllower missions and that, but blizzard definitely made it a lot better and I absolutely love it.
    4. Professions are linked with garrisons in terms of getting new mats, and you are linked to 3 pieces of crafted gear equipped (of raid level? I haven't checked with the weapons and such you can make). This one really is 50/50 on if you think it would suck or not. I think it's fine, because you can focus on crafting less pieces, but these pieces can be your BIS items - not to mention you can reroll the stats until you get perfect stats, which you can't do on ANY raid gear.
    5. LFR is mean't to be LFR, a piss easy joke of a raid. It only makes sense it would be even more like that now cause it doesn't share gear visuals/sets with the normal raids. Raiding seems just as active if not more active to me, cause you have like trash farm runs going on now... I haven't really seen that since like WOTLK days of rep farming in ICC. That's just awesome.
    6. Haven't tried the PVP zone so I can't really comment, I know it's queues can be a bit messed up but from what I've heard from friends that do PVP say it's pretty good.

I hope this helps you a bit with your decision.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    I dunno, I see plenty of bitching and QQuitting here as well?
    Whining about the game happens everywhere. Even other sites such as the wow subreddit see complaints from time to time.
    Enstraynomic - League of Legends
    TheEnst - Starcraft II

Quote Originally Posted by Janaa View Post
    1. Subjective, but still early days. Some dailies would be nice, but they're just artificial "stuff to do". I easily fill the 2-4 hours I play a night. School kids with 6-8 hours to spare may run out of stuff to do besides grinding.
    2. No more so than previously. There's never been a dynamic world.
    3. Garrisons are a bit of a mini game, especially the mission aspect. Not bad per se, plenty of people like this. There should be a bit more dynamicism to them since they're the expac focus. It is a bit samey day after day once you know why you're doing, but like those repetitive Facebook games, some people like this.
    4. Professions are indeed pretty bad. Some people like them, some don't. They're so different to what we've had in the past, YMMV.
    5. Raids are early days. LFR has been out for one week with one wing. Give it more time. Blizz are trying to push people who can afford the time into normal raids, even if via the new Group Finder, by making LFR even easier than it already was and removing tier gear from LFR. Still viable for super-casuals, as you won't need the tier gear for LFR content anyway
    6. Yes, Ashran is a joke.

I wouldn't wait 2 patches if I were you. About now is a good time to start since a lot of the initial broken stuff has been fixed, balanced or improved. By the time you hit 100 and are starting to get good results from your garrison, tier 3 LFR will be open and you'll have a good time.
    thanks for the detailed reply! like you said alot of issues raised are subjective, i may end up liking them.
    but i do have one major concern still, I am a casual player and haven't been actively raiding since wotlk, but i did do alot of lfr in cata/mop and i loved it (shining but not as powerful gears just like others for less effort). The changing of lfr (the loot is nerfed i think) is not that appealing to me, you think they will reverse it say in 5.1 patch lfr for the old tier starts to drop the same but lower ilvl gears?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MyndZero View Post
    1. They replaced dailies with a general daily quest for the new currency which replaced hp/vp. First heroic of the day gives you garrison resources which is essential because you need A LOT of resources to max all your buildings out, and with 6.1 or 6.2 possibly bringing in a tier 4 garrison, your going to need some stocked up either way.
    2. I could see this from some peoples point of view, but it heavily relies on what garrison buildings you pick as some REQUIRE you to go out into the world to make up these work orders (like the barn so you can get savage blood for your professions - otherwise, atleast on my server, you will be paying 2k gold per one, and you need a minimum of 15 to start upgrading the gear you craft - there are other ways to get savage blood, which requires you to be out in the world even more cause its a lot more farm heavy)
    3. Garrisons are awesome. I honestly didn't think I would like it that much, I liked the concept of it coming from like SWTOR with the folllower missions and that, but blizzard definitely made it a lot better and I absolutely love it.
    4. Professions are linked with garrisons in terms of getting new mats, and you are linked to 3 pieces of crafted gear equipped (of raid level? I haven't checked with the weapons and such you can make). This one really is 50/50 on if you think it would suck or not. I think it's fine, because you can focus on crafting less pieces, but these pieces can be your BIS items - not to mention you can reroll the stats until you get perfect stats, which you can't do on ANY raid gear.
    5. LFR is mean't to be LFR, a piss easy joke of a raid. It only makes sense it would be even more like that now cause it doesn't share gear visuals/sets with the normal raids. Raiding seems just as active if not more active to me, cause you have like trash farm runs going on now... I haven't really seen that since like WOTLK days of rep farming in ICC. That's just awesome.
    6. Haven't tried the PVP zone so I can't really comment, I know it's queues can be a bit messed up but from what I've heard from friends that do PVP say it's pretty good.

I hope this helps you a bit with your decision.
    wow, another long/detailed reply, thanks!
    I see your liking of Wod is centered around liking garrison.
    I am hoping i can follow the same old path max level -> profession/heroics/pvp gears -> lfr.
    But after reading your post i have a feeling garrison is something i can't bypass? i guess this is the main selling point of this expansion so you are not supposed to?

thanks for the detailed reply! like you said alot of issues raised are subjective, i may end up liking them.
    but i do have one major concern still, I am a casual player and haven't been actively raiding since wotlk, but i did do alot of lfr in cata/mop and i loved it (shining but not as powerful gears just like others for less effort). The changing of lfr (the loot is nerfed i think) is not that appealing to me, you think they will reverse it say in 5.1 patch lfr for the old tier starts to drop the same but lower ilvl gears?
    To be honest, LFR is - as many have put it - purely a tourist mode now. It's very easy, although that's only the first wing. End bosses may prove more challenging for random groups. That being said, while the gear is weaker than normal gear, it's set up to be fine for LFR, so it'll see you from raid to raid just fine. I see no indication that tier gear will ever be available in LFR in this xpac. If you want it for looks or bonuses, then just use the group finder. You may get rejected from some but eventually you'll get a group and do a run. If you have a tank or heal spec, even better, since under the new itemisation, stats and tier set bonuses switch between specs, so you can run as heals and then use that same gear as dps for brawlers guild, soloing, whatever (some spec specific items aside, but you can alway choose your drop specialisation anyway if you need different spec gear). Don't let the changes to LFR put you off. It's not all that dire. Trust me, I'm a super casual too.

Bnet forum is not a forum @ all.

It's a place for suckers complain, with no room for free speech since Blizz banned everybody with 2 braincells that complained about the game in the past.

No point comparing.
    Everyone having an Artifact equals nobody having one.