10+ Year Old Account

Measuring Fever most accurately?

So I have been Ill for past few days (fever and all that shenanigans) and was wondering what is the best way to measure your body temperature? At home we have been using Mercury Glass thermometer (underarm) however is there a better device out there? Are Digital ones better or the old school way > best way?

Thanks in Advance ^^
    -K

15+ Year Old Account
    I used to work in a kindergarten, we used a laser thing that you put in the ear, was very accurate.

Not sure it's worth spending cash on that for personal use though, most thermometers (for under arms, up the bum, under the tounge etc.) should be plenty, pretty cheap in most pharmacies.

10+ Year Old Account
    Cranial nerve thermometer.

Swipe it across the forehead to the temple and bang.

Why did I say 'nerve'? Well, you get it.

Best way = rectal thermometer
    Fastest and good enough = digital ear thermometer (though not the cheap ones)

Yesh, it's rectal all the way. Not sure if worth it though!

Rule of thumb is if you're doing it in your armpits, you can add about a degree or so and that would be your actual body temperature. Like szandos said, rectal is the most accurate, but considering most aren't willing to deal with sticking stuff anywhere near their poop holes, you can just wash that glass thermometer you've been using for your armpits and stick it under your tongue. Oral is generally pretty accurate as long as you haven't been eating or drinking anything like right before it.

My hospital switches from mercury to digital based on availability (though obviously we've been using digitally more often since they're easier to use).

Really though, unless your temperature starts swinging wildly above 102-103 (which indicates a pretty bad infection), you shouldn't be worrying *too* much as long as you're staying hydrated and getting rest. You concerned you have a massive flu or something?

This isn't really a Fun Stuff sort of topic and also these forums aren't a great place to look for health advice, so I'm going to go ahead and close this.