Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

Netflix "clamping down" on geofiltering

http://torrentfreak.com/netflix-crac...irates-150103/

Just when you thought some progress was being made toward the people that matter learning that timely, location-free content availability is important, Netflix and its contemporaries start road-testing geoblocking software.

For those who don't know; people in Australia (and I am sure in other places as well) get charged RIDICULOUS prices for the exact same content, even when the delivery of that content is available via digital means. Parlimentary inquiries have come to the conclusion that as far as the law is concerned, it is legal and even encouraged to evade geoblocking methods where appropriate.

Apparently Netflix, however, want me watching OitNB, House of Cards, etc on third party websites instead of paying for it on netflix? Oh well, no skin off my nose. I'm happy to support a good service, as long as they don't take measures to screw me months before coming to my country. I'm sure when they do come here, the plan will be to continue to offer the service at a price equal to that of other countries rather than gouging the local market just because they can, like everyone else, right?

http://i.imgur.com/fa53uS0.jpg

Maybe it's nothing. Maybe they are testing for no reason. Maybe not. Who cares? My account is gone!
    Last edited by Delekii; 2015-01-05 at 10:40 AM.

Deleted
    fighting "VPN-Pirates" by turning them into torrent-pirates? Nice job breaking it, Hero

well that kinda sucks

i've watched all i've wanted to on UK netflix so often find myself hooking up to a US VPN service to watch netflix US as there is a greater variety of shows available.

want me to just download these shows via torrent/newsgroups, rather than pay for a netflix sub - then sure, block my VPN access and see a rise in piracy until a new way around it becomes available.

honestly couldn't give a monkeys about half the movies on there, it's the TV shows i'm interested in. tbh they need to sort out the licensing laws so more stuff is available worldwide, not less.
    <insert witty signature here>

10+ Year Old Account
    Eh i get all this shows i wana watch from torents anyway. And most of the time is 10 times better quality.
    Netfix doesnt want EU money it seems.
    Don't sweat the details!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Companies own greed is what led to piracy of TV Shows. They've got no one to blame but themselves, perhaps if they stopped fucking over their customers then they would have loyalty and less piracy.
    Last edited by NatePsy; 2015-01-05 at 12:04 PM.

Deleted
    Netflix, pushing people towards torrenting since 2015.
    when will they understand that they are on a global market now, they can either be competative and make some money, or be greedy as fuck and make less.

Quote Originally Posted by NatePsychotic View Post
    Companies own greed is what led to piracy of TV Shows. They've got no one to blame but themselves
    It's not really greed as far as I can tell.

The core problem is not greed, but because of how massively inconvenient and difficult it is to get and watch movies and TV shows otherwise, because of there being too many morons in business who don't understand their business model is dead and aren't forced to update it because they earn all their revenue from theaters anyway.

You need to go out and buy them on BluRay, and then sift through tons and tons of DRM, swapping discs, ordering over Amazon, unskippable ads on your purchases, and other, similar total stupidity.

Someone made the point over 10 years ago and it still hasn't really changed, except now the pirate doesn't even have to do the first bit, either:
    http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/73...7173929da2.jpg

This sounds like a good reason to just start pirating.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    So they're stopping you from doing illegal shit? Good.
    Um, no? vpn spoofing is not illegal in most countries. It is more to not piss off publisher deals.

Somewhat relevant, Netflix now has Friends!
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Deleted
    Over here in Europe. Netflix is terrible. The shows they got can be seen on other Video sites for allot less. The only reason to pay more was so with a VPN you could watch the good stuff.

Now it seems it is no longer worth it.

Yeah, stopping you from doing something illegal while still paying them money, making you do something illegal without paying them anything instead. Great plan.
    Like, we got Netflix a couple of months back, and I was like "great, now I can watch shows legally". Then I looked at the shows available in Denmark... and went right back to pirating them instead because the stuff available in Denmark is like 2-3 years behind(at best)
    Tradushuffle
    <Echoes>
    Laughing Skull-EU

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kotutha View Post
    Over here in Europe. Netflix is terrible. The shows they got can be seen on other Video sites for allot less. The only reason to pay more was so with a VPN you could watch the good stuff.

I think it's good enough for what I use it for. Watching Supernatural & Marco Polo.

Don't use the service.
    Well yeah, that's exactly what they're making people do. Which means they lose money, so they're the only ones losing anything from it.
    Tradushuffle
    <Echoes>
    Laughing Skull-EU

Deleted
    Well then, people have the option not to use NetFlix if they don't like what they're are doing.
    Well la-ti-da arent you a righteous white knight.

This is a bad way of going about it.

10+ Year Old Account
    We have better streaming services in Germany already. Also cheaper. Only problem: Sometimes there's no original audio.

Paying for Netflix ever when you can get it all free with a google search, the year is 2015 people.

10+ Year Old Account
    lol.... I agree, partially...
    The region blocks of content can be a brutal annoyance too though. And not because the content costs money.
    If you're a person like me, a foreigner living in the US, and you want to watch something on your home country's tv stations that is freely broadcasted there on the equivalent what would be public tv here, and then you get that nice message "This content is not available outside of the blabla region", that's the moment when you can get, at times, pretty pissed lol
    And it does have to do with greed..
    Let me specify it.. I wanna watch a football game that's broadcasted on one of Germany's major networks. But I can't.
    Because, somewhere, some business outside Germany bought a content package, they're selling to their cable/sat customers, where they will possibly show that game too. But only possibly, and not definitely, and definitely not live, but a day or two later... Whoopdie fucking doo..
    Nothing more exciting than a game whose result you already know. lol

Now I got 2 options....... I either spoof my IP and pretend I am on a German IP, or I find myself a website that streams it...
    Normally it's the latter, because the former usually causes an immense drop of bandwidth and makes watching my game a nightmare.

The thing is.. I'm in the US long enough to be able to report that the region blocking did not decrease, instead it has gone from non-existent, to outright ridiculous.
    They're blocking ever more of the content to be streamed directly at the TV stations website. And like I said, I am not referring to premium content. I'm talking about free content otherwise.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kotutha View Post

Doesn't Europe have it's own video service thing?
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

I've only heard this through media reports. I've yet to meet or hear of an actual person that has had issues. I certainly haven't had any issues. It seems more like a media beat up than actual netflix clamping down, not too mention nexflix have made an announcement that they are not doing this.

Not that it matters, I'll happily start pirating again if this source of content is removed and an inferior australian netflix is implemented.

It's funny people hating Netflix for doing this when it's your own countries laws that cause this. They would be more than happy to take your money and show you everything they have but that's not how it works. Take House of Cards in the EU for example, Netflix has to sell the distribution rights to a EU company and then they decide what to do with it.
    "Oh, you know what? You could bitch about anything couldn't you?" - Leonard L. Church