Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Bought Scabbard for 20k and got some bad news.

Simcraft tells me that scabbard is a nearly 1k dps loss if I switch it out with tectus beating heart trinket (655).
    The bracken trinket (670) is over 1k dps loss if I choose SOK over it.

I use empowered seals. I however heard that SOK was BiS. What's going on here? Did I just lose 20k?

How do you have your trinket use set up? Ideally you want it to sync with Wings/Seraphim, the difference in DPS between that and using it on CD is pretty substantial.

side question - why emp seals?

10+ Year Old Account
    What. No. Don't follow sims for this one, you want to I believe...keep tectus' beating heart and if possible acquire the heroic/mythic one.

And keep the Scabbard. The sheer magnitude of the burst you get from this trinket with your cooldowns will trump any sustained simed dps.

Test it yourself. In game. Not on a numbers sheet.

Edit: You might want to not... use empowered seals with it if you want to see a truly amazing increase in damage. FV/SW (reliable single target) or FV/DP (infrequent, good multi target, can yield amazing dps with luck) will likely see the numbers soaring larger.
    Last edited by Aqua; 2014-12-28 at 08:22 PM.
    I have eaten all the popcorn, I left none for anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by MBDTF View Post
    How do you have your trinket use set up? Ideally you want it to sync with Wings/Seraphim, the difference in DPS between that and using it on CD is pretty substantial.

side question - why emp seals?
    I have a seal switch macro on G and hekili rotation addon. So when ever it comes up to switch seals I just press G (my keybind for the macro) and it switches my seal.

Macro:
    #showtooltip
    /castsequence !Seal of Righteousness, !Seal of Truth

My rotation starts off as Judge for the attack power buff from the truth seal, then burst macro which procs my wings, pots, etc all at once. Then I use Execution sentence and then I just start spamming my hammers and a filler spell in between and get a 60k burst which slows to 39k and leaves my ending fight dps at around 27-29k on a fight like butcher.

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...s/Yardu/simple

With the macro it basically makes seal switching just an instant filler spell so that it's not even noticeable. Can track the buffs with weakauras as well if you don't like rotation addons. I do of course talent switch on bosses that can bring more dps or be more useful like bracken, koragh, twins & imper but for single target I just love and enjoy Emps.

Here's your good news:

It's BiS until Mythic BRF

10+ Year Old Account
    Ignore sims. They are not a reliable source when RNG is involved. Sims can only ever be reliably used to find a min, avg, and max on a target dummy over a course of time. This will never change.

Unless Blizzard nerfs it or adds a similar/better trinket for Foundry, SoK is the best core trinket available. Sure there might be better situational, but It doesn't matter if there's "better", because you have two trinket slots and there's no rule against swapping before a fight.

Grats on getting it so cheap.
    There are no bathrooms, only Zuul.

Hmm, seems like nobody here really knows how a monte carlo sim works, anyway, yes. you can trust simcraft, you just need the correct TCI input. In the case of Scabbard of Kyanos, simply replace the 'use_item', under the actions section, if you're using the base Ret APL.
    Code:
    actions+=/use_item, whatever
    with:

Code:
    actions+=/use_item,name=scabbard_of_kyanos,if=buff.avenging_wrath.up
    This will allow the sim to use scabbard only when avenging wrath is active, i assure you, you'll notice a massive increase.
    Last edited by Solsacra; 2014-12-28 at 09:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Solsacra View Post
    Hmm, seems like nobody here really knows how a monte carlo sim works, anyway, yes. you can trust simcraft, you just need the correct TCI input. In the case of Scabbard of Kyanos, simply replace the 'use_item', under the actions section, if you're using the base Ret APL.
    Code:
    actions+=/use_item, whatever
    with:

Code:
    actions+=/use_item,name=scabbard_of_kyanos,if=buff.avenging_wrath.up
    This will allow the sim to use scabbard only when avenging wrath is active, i assure you, you'll notice a massive increase.
    Thanks for the help. Ended up being a 400dps increase. So eh, I suppose it was worth it. Only tried with simming Emps so far. Tho from what I saw on test dummies Sera was pulling ahead at the begining a lot more but dying down in steady dps over a long time period compared to emps (Longer than a raid boss would normally be alive for anyway). So honestly, it seems worth the gold. Was so close to reselling.

sims tell me to keep my legendary cloak mayne.

Rotation Increase

Quote Originally Posted by Yardu View Post

My rotation starts off as Judge for the attack power buff from the truth seal, then burst macro which procs my wings, pots, etc all at once.

You should be potting before you judge the boss and then using your second potion when wings comes up again 3 minutes later, so you may need to make a second macro for wings+potion+scabbard+whatever else, and then one that just doesn't use your potion but pops wings scabbard and the other stuff you have. When you have Prepot, lust, scabbard, wings, the sheer amount of burst will push you above the sim data.

Quick question. Wouldn't scabbard be better suited to be used on cd depending on your raids fight length? Using it with AW would miss out on a full use of trinket.

Quote Originally Posted by Yardu View Post
    I have a seal switch macro on G and hekili rotation addon. So when ever it comes up to switch seals I just press G (my keybind for the macro) and it switches my seal.

Macro:
    #showtooltip
    /castsequence !Seal of Righteousness, !Seal of Truth

My rotation starts off as Judge for the attack power buff from the truth seal, then burst macro which procs my wings, pots, etc all at once. Then I use Execution sentence and then I just start spamming my hammers and a filler spell in between and get a 60k burst which slows to 39k and leaves my ending fight dps at around 27-29k on a fight like butcher.

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...s/Yardu/simple

With the macro it basically makes seal switching just an instant filler spell so that it's not even noticeable. Can track the buffs with weakauras as well if you don't like rotation addons. I do of course talent switch on bosses that can bring more dps or be more useful like bracken, koragh, twins & imper but for single target I just love and enjoy Emps.
    The hekili addon does seem kinda nice, but is it actually working right with emp seals? tried it once and it seemed to suggest staying in SoR instead of switching back to SoT after getting the SoR buff, unless you need to set something up to get it to work right.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hemanse View Post
    The hekili addon does seem kinda nice, but is it actually working right with emp seals? tried it once and it seemed to suggest staying in SoR instead of switching back to SoT after getting the SoR buff, unless you need to set something up to get it to work right.
    Haven't played with Emp Seals and Hekili, but likely what happened was there was more than one target and Hekili recognized it and put itself into cleave mode.

If you are playing anything but Sera with the existence of four set PR even without IMO you're doing it wrong sera's burst alone is overpowered as hell when four set is giving it +15% stand back while your raid becomes silent at what they just saw.

Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    If you are playing anything but Sera with the existence of four set PR even without IMO you're doing it wrong sera's burst alone is overpowered as hell when four set is giving it +15% stand back while your raid becomes silent at what they just saw.
    only 15% til you TV / FV 1 time then back to 9%...

Quote Originally Posted by Broccoliform View Post
    You should be potting before you judge the boss and then using your second potion when wings comes up again 3 minutes later, so you may need to make a second macro for wings+potion+scabbard+whatever else, and then one that just doesn't use your potion but pops wings scabbard and the other stuff you have. When you have Prepot, lust, scabbard, wings, the sheer amount of burst will push you above the sim data.
    Indeed I do pre-pot, forgot about that tho. Thanks for the tips.

Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    Don't have the 4 set. Also for me Sera is only a slight burst increase and has less sustained. I have more fun using empowered seals. If/when I get the 4 piece I'll switch to Sera but for now I like the extra haste of empowered seals. Just feels better.

Ya you lost 20k, even if the trinket is slightly better.
    You'll replace it shortly.
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

Quote Originally Posted by NoobistTV-Metro View Post
    Your name is fitting because you are.

Don't spread misinformation.

Quote Originally Posted by NoobistTV-Metro View Post
    Unless something's changed it's BiS until 2x Mythic BRF trinkets...

Deleted
    Why not HA and FV.

Seriously though?

I'm curious as to if SW truly is that much better.

HA burst is more controlled and yields bigger numbers in my eyes.