Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    This is a helpful thread. I'm about to transition from Mac to PC again and going to build my first machine. I want to drop like $2000 (what I normally would if I was going to just buy a new Mac), but I'm thinking it might be best to just building something in the $700 range just incase I mess something up pretty bad.

Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    This is a helpful thread. I'm about to transition from Mac to PC again and going to build my first machine. I want to drop like $2000 (what I normally would if I was going to just buy a new Mac), but I'm thinking it might be best to just building something in the $700 range just incase I mess something up pretty bad.
    The main thing you don't want to mess up on is correctly installing your Processor Chip and heat sink if you buy one. Make sure to read the directions and even watch a video on how to do this so you don't break the chip.

Also, if you get an expensive video card, dont force it in, or you can damage the connectors. Everything else is pretty simple.

Deleted
    The HDD is mainly for storage. All the Black has is a longer warranty, which you pay for. The Black and Blue (WD10EZEX) is neck and neck performance wise.

Last question...do I need to buy speakers with that setup or any special cables for the monitor or CPU?
    If you don't wanna use headphones/headset all the time or at all yes you will want speakers. Let me know if that's the case.

You need a SATA cable for the HDD, SSD and DVD drive. There are 2 cables in the motherboard box so you'll need to buy and extra SATA cable if you don't have one already.

The DisplayPort cable I believe is 1.5 meters (~5 feet) long so fairly short, if you know you'll need/want a longer cable you'll have to buy that as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Serion View Post
    The main thing you don't want to mess up on is correctly installing your Processor Chip and heat sink if you buy one. Make sure to read the directions and even watch a video on how to do this so you don't break the chip.

Also, if you get an expensive video card, dont force it in, or you can damage the connectors. Everything else is pretty simple.
    Thanks for the tips.

Hey also... do "Sound Cards" exist anymore? I used PCs about 10 years ago and I remember there was a sound card... is that a separate piece or is that like baked in the motherboard or something? Just curious I'm a total noob when it comes to this stuff.

Deleted
    There is decent onboard sound in the ~$100+ motherboards. Below that it's just OK but yes there is onboard sound on everything pretty much.

I wouldn't mind getting speakers but do they make them these days so they are really low profile? I always just remember the wires for the speakers being a pain because they were connected to each speaker and if you moved one more than 6 inches the other would move as well. Do they have one speaker now like a soundbar or something like that? To be honest the internal speakers on my Imac sufficed...

Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    Thanks for the tips.

Hey also... do "Sound Cards" exist anymore? I used PCs about 10 years ago and I remember there was a sound card... is that a separate piece or is that like baked in the motherboard or something? Just curious I'm a total noob when it comes to this stuff.

Pretty much every mobo nowadays has a built in 'High Quality' Sound card of 5.1+ levels. (Almost all of them are RealTek actually). You won't get much out of a PCI-E Sound card unless you are doing some pretty serious audio work, or the only other reason is if you like porting different audio sources to different places. (IE have a non USB Headset and Speaker systems and want to send Vent audio to Headset and Music/Game Audio to Speakers or something like that)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Oliviasimone View Post
    I wouldn't mind getting speakers but do they make them these days so they are really low profile? I always just remember the wires for the speakers being a pain because they were connected to each speaker and if you moved one more than 6 inches the other would move as well. Do they have one speaker now like a soundbar or something like that? To be honest the internal speakers on my Imac sufficed...
    I don't know that much about speakers, I have these Logitech Z313, it's 2.1, it's nothing special but they're reasonable quality for just $35, fits easily underneath the BenQ monitor. At that price I say it's worth giving a go. Cable length is alright or well enough to fit near the monitor as I mentioned.