Page 11 of 30 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Begrudge View Post
    pirating is not illegal, distributing it is. I pay for internets, it comes with my internets, I am not stealing.
    I pay for my Costco membership, what the hell do you mean I can't take all this meat without paying for it?

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orly View Post
    EXCEPT stealing implies removing someone's access to something. Pirating doesn't.
    No it doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    You pay for access to the internet, this does not guarantee that all content is free. Hence why there are payment methods, and also why torrenting is illegal.
    Pls.

Ask a dutchman how illegal torrenting is.

Seeding is almost everywhere, torrenting isn't everywhere.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocketknight View Post
    I watched The Interview illegally. I went to 'www.watchtheinterview.com', entered my credit card details, and was told I needed to be inside the US. I downloaded a proxy, set myself on a US server, and tried again. I was told I also needed a US credit card.

I don't feel at all bad about watching the interview. I tried to give them my money, and they would not accept it, so now they will miss out on my money. I don't want to wait until it is available in my country to watch it; I want to watch it while it is relevant.
    I mean, the attempt is notable. But that is like saying, "I tried to knock on the door, but they didn't want to let me in, so I just picked the lock and helped myself in." I mean, yeah, you tried to enter the right way, but then you just pulled a B&E because you just had to get inside.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by Baar View Post
    This does not change the definition of stealing.

And yes. copying = taking. I mean for the simple fact you are making a copy for yourself to take.
    You have the wrong definition. It's a good reason as to why there are two different words. They are two different things.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketknight View Post
    I watched The Interview illegally. I went to 'www.watchtheinterview.com', entered my credit card details, and was told I needed to be inside the US. I downloaded a proxy, set myself on a US server, and tried again. I was told I also needed a US credit card.

I don't feel at all bad about watching the interview. I tried to give them my money, and they would not accept it, so now they will miss out on my money. I don't want to wait until it is available in my country to watch it; I want to watch it while it is relevant.
    That's the thing though, if a product wasn't legally available to you why exactly do you feel you should still be able have access to that product?

10+ Year Old Account
    You have the wrong definition. It's a good reason as to why there are two different words. They are two different things.
    Whats wrong about my definition? What definition are you using.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shahad View Post
    I'm a pirate. I don't steal anything and I'm not going to stop pirating anytime soon, simply because I can't feasibly afford much. Seeing as I would not be buying the stuff I pirate, there is literally no loss on the part of the content creator. In fact, there's only gain, since I will be recommending the content I consume to others, which is essentially free advertising. There's simply no basis for treating this the same way as theft.
    The loss is that you have the potential to be a paying customer. And instead of accepting your place in the financial world, you decide since you can't afford it, you'll just help yourself to it anyway.

You could find ways to make extra money to afford those luxuries, but instead you decided to just take it for free. Which is illegal.

EXCEPT stealing implies removing someone's access to something. Pirating doesn't.
    It's one and the same. It's the digital equivalent of stealing, you know that though. That's like saying as long as I'm never removing someone's access to something I'm never doing anything illegal when obtaining digital items.

Whats wrong about my definition? What definition are you using.
    The correct one. You know....the one that implies the original owner not having something anymore.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by alturic View Post
    I pay for my Costco membership, what the hell do you mean I can't take all this meat without paying for it?
    they arent giving you meat for free from an illegal source your semantics are not relevant.
    Processor:Intel I5 8600 @ 3.5Ghz
    Ram:G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) ddr4
    GPU: EVGA SC 1070
    some other stuff i can't remember eh

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Can call me a sheep, but considering I will most likely be producing stuff on my own in the future, i will refuse to do what I don't want people to do to me. *shrug*
    I'm producing stuff for 10+ years now. I would prefer to know how my customers want to get my stuff.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    Oh please ,you won't win this argument semantically.

Copying != taking.
    If item is available for paid digital distribution. In order to legally obtain a copy of the file, you must pay the owner of the file a fee. You did not pay this fee, there for you have stolen the copy of the file. This is illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by alturic View Post
    It's one and the same. It's the digital equivalent of stealing, you know that though. That's like saying as long as I'm never removing someone's access to something I'm never doing anything illegal when it comes to digital items.
    You'd do well to find out that it's illegal to make a profit out of things not your own, not merely copying them.

10+ Year Old Account
    The correct one. You know....the one that implies the original owner not having something anymore.
    If you are talking about stealing. There is no definition that stats what you are. If there is please provide a source.

10+ Year Old Account
    This does not change the definition of stealing.

And yes. copying = taking. I mean for the simple fact you are making a copy for yourself to take.
    Copying is copying. I take the copy I made - therefore it belongs to me.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm producing stuff for 10+ years now. I would prefer to know how my customers want to get my stuff.
    Where is your stuff. Since you don't mind I wouldn't mind downloading some of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Espe View Post
    And yet, in this very thread people have admitted to paying for things they could have downloaded for free.
    So anecdotal evidence of...5, 6 people in a thread with over a hundred responses refutes dozens of torrent trackers with millions of downloads.

Gotcha

Steam still sells masses of single-player only and single-player dominant games. Games that people don't have to pay for if they don't have to... and yet people do.
    Compare their torrented copies to their actual sold copies. I'll bet a nickel as to which one is higher.

And yet Netflix is not only surviving, but thriving. How could that be? Could it be that their price point and convenience match up with what the majority of the market is willing to pay? I wonder....

So why is it that when digital distribution "works" it's the exception to the rule, and when it doesn't "work" it's just because "all people are wired to be thieves?"
    Digital distribution works as a fallback medium to make continued profits once a film has already made back its original investment via Ticket sales at movie theaters. Netflix would bankrupt itself in a single year attempting to pay for production of a single summer's worth of blockbusters.
    I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes
    Or should I?

10+ Year Old Account
    Copying is copying. I take the copy I made - therefore it belongs to me.

You are making a copy for you to take. so what I said is still right.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    If item is available for paid digital distribution. In order to legally obtain a copy of the file, you must pay the owner of the file a fee. You did not pay this fee, there for you have stolen the copy of the file. This is illegal.
    No it is not illegal. Illegal would be to RESELL it.
    Also if item is available for paid digital distribution - I will but it.