Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

How much mastery to move from frost to arcane?

I'm currently at 669 ilvl but when I swap to arcane I only get 38% mastery. I'm thinking that's most of the reason I can't dps at all in arcane right now.

Why would you even consider going arcane instead of frost. The only fight where arcane is the best is low movement fighs like butcher. Frost beats arcane on pretty much all other fights.

The Patient Mountain Called Monkey's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slykz View Post
    Why would you even consider going arcane instead of frost. The only fight where arcane is the best is low movement fighs like butcher. Frost beats arcane on pretty much all other fights.
    Both Specs are completely viable as of right now, so really its just a matter of preference. Many do not like the playstyle of Frost and would rather switch to Arcane or Fire.

OT: I would think 30% mastery is the point where you can really take off with Arcane. Switching from Frost to Arcane is very difficult for me because there's more that I need to keep track off and Arcane takes much more practice to get used to then Frost. I don't usually enjoy the spec so I couldn't give you any real tips on how to improve but I would compare my rotation to other Arcane Mages on twitch/youtube and try to see what the differences are. If you post a log of your damage as Arcane maybe some one here could help better than me. Also what fights do you seem to have more trouble on? I've heard a lot of comments about Arcane not meshing well with fights and often requires advance understanding of the spec and fight to preform above average
    There were no screams, there was no time
    The mountain called Monkey had spoken
    It was only fire and then, nothing

10+ Year Old Account
    Unbuffed you mean? That should be fine. I'm a little under 46% unbuffed and that gets bumped up to 58% raid buffed (674 ilvl). Arcane is just as competitive as Frost on most fights. But it does take getting used to, and you do have to be more careful about your movement and how you react to mechanics, so that's probably a bigger reason for dps issues than the your mastery %/

Butcher, Kargoth, Brack, and Koragh all are better arcane fights.

10+ Year Old Account
    It took me 3 minutes to relearn arcane. It's not particularly hard. As of now I'm only doing 28k dps and just wondering if it's mastery dragging me down or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Sundrah View Post
    I'm currently at 669 ilvl but when I swap to arcane I only get 38% mastery. I'm thinking that's most of the reason I can't dps at all in arcane right now.
    You get 44% if you are raid buffed (275 enchants + 550 mage armor + 550 buff + 100 food = 1475/55 =28% +16% passive = 44%).

It shouldn't be too much of an issue, I had next to no mastery when I switched (like 500 from gear (mythic helm, heroic belt + back and leg ring) and it was more then enough to compete with frost.

It took me 3 minutes to relearn arcane. It's not particularly hard. As of now I'm only doing 28k dps and just wondering if it's mastery dragging me down or not.
    Mastery may be the issue but I doubt anyone can jump on a class/spec they haven't played in a while and play the class at 100%

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sundrah View Post
    No, your mastery isn't an issue.

Deleted
    I'd run sims to make sure, it depends on your gear itemization. Arcane only started simming higher than frost for me at about 668 ilvl.

Deleted
    Gotta remember that arcane simming is pretty fail. It sims higher but in reality you can just cut off 15% of that damage when there's movement involved.

Not even Icy Floes can cover that gap unless you have very well placed runes of power in general.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazori View Post
    Gotta remember that arcane simming is pretty fail. It sims higher but in reality you can just cut off 15% of that damage when there's movement involved.

Not even Icy Floes can cover that gap unless you have very well placed runes of power in general.
    Tectus is the only fight I can think of as an arcane Mage where movement totally kills me. Maybe if you're doing orbs on koragh. Ice floes, PoM, supernova, blink, and barrage offer plenty of options to cast while moving.

I should also state I haven't entered mythic raiding yet as well.
    Last edited by shaft4783; 2015-01-03 at 01:07 AM.

If you are going to fully swap to a spec you would want to enchant everything to mastery which costs a lot right now. The blue mushroom on Brackenspore is probably enough for Arcane to be the best on that fight no matter what. The reason I haven't swapped to Arcane full time yet is because it is really bad for Mythic Mar'gok, especially if your strat requires you to run evanesce for the wrath debuff thing. You will still do good dps as Arcane with multistrike enchants on the Kargath, Butcher, and Ko'ragh but unless you are struggling with the dps checks you shouldn't spend 30k gold to swap enchants back and forth. So because of my enchants and strats we use on bosses, why don't we do Butcher water strat yet? I just play Frost for everything right now.

Any amount imo. Arcane is super awesome and it only requires you to press two buttons lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Deesol View Post
    Butcher, Kargoth, Brack, and Koragh all are better arcane fights.
    Yes, Yes, and No. Now here's the fights where Frost beats Arcane or is very close to it: The other 5, though Tectus is the only fight where Fire beats both.
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

Quote Originally Posted by Leomaric View Post
    Any amount imo. Arcane is super awesome and it only requires you to press two buttons lol.
    Haha, that's good. So the more buttons you have to press for a rotation the better the spec? I think I counted 12 different spells or abilities for frost when I was using frost at the beginning of WoD.

I find it funny when people ask me about arcane and they tell me they try it and always go oom.

Deleted
    You dont need any specific mastery to play arcane on butcher/kargath.

For other fights you will need to be very experienced in arcane and be good geared for it to have any shot at beating frost.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't be looking at Arcane when still progressing(and taking it fairly seriously) since Frost is so much better on imperator which is the most imporant/hardest boss of the instance.

The Patient Mountain Called Monkey's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Puuhis View Post
    I wouldn't be looking at Arcane when still progressing(and taking it fairly seriously) since Frost is so much better on imperator which is the most imporant/hardest boss of the instance.
    An argument can be made for Arcane with the Imp fight. The adds in the intermission phase need to go down quickly and Arcane provides the highest single target damage in the game as of now. This is of course something that should be discussed within the progression group if the intermission adds become a problem. It's a viable spec in almost every fight it just takes a lot of practice and a good understanding of the spec and fight
    There were no screams, there was no time
    The mountain called Monkey had spoken
    It was only fire and then, nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Slykz View Post
    you make it sound like frost has more damage on the move than arcane?

both have 0 mobility so why is that worth bringing up, its just which does mroe dmg is better still

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by onemanaleft View Post
    you make it sound like frost has more damage on the move than arcane?

both have 0 mobility so why is that worth bringing up, its just which does mroe dmg is better still
    Please dont touch your keyboard ever again.