Deleted

Shadow: LF some basic answers.

Hey all!

So I have been healing since vanilla and only used shadow to level with. Now in WoD I decided to go DPS since I'm getting tired of the healing game.
    I have been trying to find information but everywhere people seem to suggest different things..

So I'm using CoP, do I still use the normal dot rotation or ignore the dots? Could somebody give me a short rotation / priority list?
    What is this 'dotweaving' people keep referring to?
    Also what is the stat prio I should aim for with said rotation?

Sorry if all this is covered elsewhere, I'm usually a top dps on other classes. But I can't seem to wrap my head around shadow.

Thanks!

CoP rotation is:

MS/MB spam until 4 orbs

at 4 orbs: MS -> SWP -> VT -> MB

then with 5 orbs: -> DP -> Insanity -> Clip it to cast MB -> DP -> Insanity -> Clip it to cast MB

And then back to MS/MB spam.

For stat priorities, I think it's something like: Int > Haste > Multistrike/Mastery > Versatility. Not 100% sure about it though.

Quote Originally Posted by anon5123 View Post
    For stat priorities, I think it's something like: Int > Haste > Multistrike/Mastery > Versatility. Not 100% sure about it though.
    Int (ilvl) > all, then the rest of the secondaries are pretty even for us, with Versatility being the least desired. Crit will help with your execute, Haste is just a good stat to have, Mastery is pure ST (but doesn't effect our execute) and MS is kind of like a second version of Crit.

basically, MB(gain 1 orb)>Spike>spike>spike>MB(now at 2 orbs)>spike>spike>spike>mb(3 total orbs)>Spike>spike>spike>MB(four total orbs)>spike>spike>pain>MB(5 orbs!)>VT>DP>Insanity -> Break insanity at half-cast when MB comes up>Insanity>DP>MB>Insanity>Insanity>MB when it's up and start over

That's not "super optimal" but it's very easy and will give you good numbers. The bottom line is: MB and death on CD at sub 5 orbs. DP at 5 orbs but never dp immediately after a mb because you lose insanity ticks in the long run. dot only when you go into a double-dp section of your rotation because otherwise you're spiking that off anyways.

stat prio people argue about. Single target fights mastery is king. so the easy path to win - get mastery imo.

This is all covered extensively and in much more detail on howtopriest.com.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Insaetia View Post
    That's not "super optimal" but it's very easy and will give you good numbers.
    Why is not "super optimal" about the rotation you presented? I saw the exact same rotation on how2priest.
    Can you ellaborate on how to do better?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuray View Post
    Why is not "super optimal" about the rotation you presented? I saw the exact same rotation on how2priest.
    Can you ellaborate on how to do better?

The "other rotation" is better because you take advantage of the full duration of VT+SWP. It also has a nicer flow to it imo.

Only difference really is the order of spells on the 4th orb.

CoP rotation is:

MS/MB spam until 4 orbs

at 4 orbs: MS -> SWP -> VT -> MB

then with 5 orbs: -> DP -> Insanity -> Clip it to cast MB -> DP -> Insanity -> Clip it to cast MB

And then back to MS/MB spam.
    Last edited by mmoc1b009d603f; 2015-01-06 at 12:30 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Heap View Post
    The "other rotation" is better because you take advantage of the full duration of VT+SWP. It also has a nicer flow to it imo.

Only difference really is the order of spells on the 4th orb.
    Well, actually with the 1 MS and both dots up before MB rotation I'm consistently running out of insanity before my dots end, due to high haste (but not high enough to squeeze second insanity after each MB). And if I have PI, trinket or BL up, it all goes to hell even worse.

Deleted
    You must be doing something wrong then I think.

@ 4 orbs
    MS + SWP > VT + MB

@ 5 orbs, cast DP
    Insanity + MB + DP
    Insanity + MB + MS (start rotation again)

It all lines up perfectly with MB cooldown and should scale with haste.

You might cancel you VT+SWP a second early or so due to MS but that's all.

The rotation Insaetia posted allows for the dots to fully tick and also gives you 6 ticks of Insanity every time you use it. There's 14 GCDs from putting pain up to resuming mind spike.

In the rotation Heap posted there's only 12 GCDs from putting pain up and you lose two ticks of Insanity, so you definitely clip your dots and do less total damage as your Insanity isn't being utiised properly.

During bloodlust on the first rotation you're still going to clip dots but to try and combat that you can use a cascade/halo/divine star before the resuming mind spike.

7+ Year Old Account
    CoP rotation is:

The internet is full of conflicting information about this. Based on actual raiding experience & some math, I think gearing for haste is not a great idea. The higher end priests are all gearing for mastery & after trying crit & haste I think they might be onto something.

I guess it depends on your playstyle as well. Do you clip insanity, how do you dps when there are 2 targets etc etc.

Deleted
    I missread Insaetias rotation, so nevermind that. Thought it was SWP after 5 orbs for some reason.

Yeah i can see how that would be slightly better.

Gemming/enchanting mastery isn't worth it unless your guild really needs the ST DPS for Butcher
    Zinge
    Officer of <Smitus and Friends> 7/7M 10/10M
    US 10th

Quote Originally Posted by Heap View Post
    You must be doing something wrong then I think.

@ 4 orbs
    MS + SWP > VT + MB

@ 5 orbs, cast DP
    Insanity + MB + DP
    Insanity + MB + MS (start rotation again)

It all lines up perfectly with MB cooldown and should scale with haste.

You might cancel you VT+SWP a second early or so due to MS but that's all.
    There are ONLY 3 possible ways to DoTWeave, and only 2 of them are optimal. If you are doing anything else than the below, you are doing it wrong.

Rotation 1# - Starting on the 1st GCD after the MB that gives you 4 OR 5 orbs:
    MB (5) > SW:P > VT > DP (2) > MB (3)> MFI > MFI > MFI (3 GCDs, 2 casts) > MB (4) > filler > DP (1) > MFI > MB (2) > MFI > MFI (2 GCDs, 1 cast) > MS > MB (3) > resume MS/MB spam.

It's the exact same rotation if starting on 4 orbs, just subtract 1 from each orbindicating number after the MBs and DPs.

Rotation 2# - starting on the 3rd GCD after the MB that gives you 4 orbs: MB (4) > MS > MS > SW:P > MB (5) > VT > DP (2) > MFI > MB (3) > MFI > MFI (2 GCDs, 1 cast) > DP (0) > MB (1) > MFI > MFI > MFI (3 GCDs, 2 casts) > MB (2) > resume MS/MB spam.

These are the only 2 rotations you want to use. Below, is the one you linked, and you never want to use this, because it's basically the same as 2#, except that it starts the actual Weave a bit later, which results in your DoTs falling off a few seconds prematurly, instead of perfectly timed with your last MFI like it is with the 2 first ones.

Rotation 3# - Starting on the 2nd GCD after your 4th orb: MB (4) > MS > SW:P > VT > MB (5) > filler > DP (2) > MFI > MB (3) > MFI > MFI (2 GCDs, 1 cast) > DP (0) > MB (1) > MFI > MFI > MFI (2 GCDs, 1 cast) > MB (2) > resume MS/MB spam.

As for stats, just consider it to be Int >>> Mastery = Haste = Crit = MS > Versa. The difference between for example stacking Crit, or stacking Mastery, is not noticeable. At all. 1-2 Mistakes from your part, will always have a waaaaaaaaaaaay bigger effect on your Dps, than your stat balance. (This is kind of the case for all classes except for Fury Warrs and Fire Mages, but that's a discussion for another time).
    Last edited by ThrashMetalFtw; 2015-01-06 at 03:04 PM.
    They're (short for They are) describes a group of people. "They're/They are a nice bunch of guys." Their indicates that something belongs/is related to a group of people. "Their car was all out of fuel." There refers to a location. "Let's set up camp over there." There is also no such thing as "could/should OF". The correct way is: Could/should'VE, or could/should HAVE.
    Holyfury armory

Stat priorities change on fights most fights in Highmaul at just stand still and whack your buttons so Mastery pulls way ahead but one you have more things to off DoT value of mastery falls way down and crit/multistrike pull ahead. This is why the majority of players are enchanting and gemming mastery.

was this supposed to be a pvp or pve question?

Deleted
    PvE Question