[Prot] New Shield of the Righteous Values

Protection
    Shield of the Righteous should no longer incorrectly provide a greater than intended reduction to physical damage taken after refreshing the ability.

So this change went in yesterday and I noticed a significant difference in the SotR buff but was unable to nail down what the change really was. How exactly does this mechanic work now?

From what I am seeing, if I use Holy Avenger and Pol's trinket at the same time to get a huge mastery buff I can get my SotR buff to ~70% for ~10 seconds. However as soon as Pol's trinket buff is gone, if I cast another SotR, the whole 10 seconds of the stack got reduced to 40%. Is this actually what is happening? Or does the buff immediately drop from 70% to 40% when the mastery buff goes away.

Also, with the Seraphim rotation a big hunk of reduction comes from casting SotR right before Sera runs off and extending the empowered buff with a second cast 2 seconds after Sera runs off. Is this irrelevant now?

If it is functioning either of these ways, that seems like bogus and a huge nerf.

If it is not, how does it work now?
    Last edited by Killingjudge; 2015-01-07 at 06:19 PM.

Does this not work like all DoTs do now? As in, they're only buffed during the duration of a buff then as soon as the buff falls, the damage drops? It was called "snapshotting", I believe, what you're trying to do

Quote Originally Posted by Earthbound View Post
    Does this not work like all DoTs do now? As in, they're only buffed during the duration of a buff then as soon as the buff falls, the damage drops? It was called "snapshotting", I believe, what you're trying to do
    Correct. The new buff seems to function without snapshotting like DoTs and HoTs. So I guess I'm better off getting a 10 second buff then hitting my mastery trinket. Still messes with the Sera rotation pretty badly though.

I'm pretty sure this was meant to stop SotR snapshotting with seraphim.

Deleted
    There was a bug that meant if you used SotR before the previous buff ran out, it would buff the physical damage reduction on the second one even if you had the same mastery value

Now, if you SotR you get a set damage reduction depending on your mastery when you cast it. This damage reduction amount lasts the entire duration on the SotR and wont change if your mastery drops during the buff

However, it will change if you REAPPLY a SotR buff when you have a different amount of mastery. For Example, with Holy Avenger and Pol's Blinded Eye I can get like 30 seconds of SotR at 45% DR. If I reapply SotR after my mastery trinket falls of it will add the duration to my 30 seconds, but update the amount of damage reduction to whatever my mastery was when I last cast SotR. That means I now have a 33 Second SotR at 35% DR

This does effect Seraphim as the first SotR will have the mastery but the second one wont regardless if you overlap them

Quote Originally Posted by Wymarc View Post
    There was a bug that meant if you used SotR before the previous buff ran out, it would buff the physical damage reduction on the second one even if you had the same mastery value

Now, if you SotR you get a set damage reduction depending on your mastery when you cast it. This damage reduction amount lasts the entire duration on the SotR and wont change if your mastery drops during the buff

However, it will change if you REAPPLY a SotR buff when you have a different amount of mastery. For Example, with Holy Avenger and Pol's Blinded Eye I can get like 30 seconds of SotR at 45% DR. If I reapply SotR after my mastery trinket falls of it will add the duration to my 30 seconds, but update the amount of damage reduction to whatever my mastery was when I last cast SotR. That means I now have a 33 Second SotR at 35% DR

This does effect Seraphim as the first SotR will have the mastery but the second one wont regardless if you overlap them
    You sure about this? This would make SotR now not function as we all took it to before the fix AND make it the only spell in the game that snapshots anymore.