Page 1 of 15
... LastLast

Most broken card in GvG

I'm sure people will disagree with me as we're all gonna have our pet hate cards; but which addition that came with GvG do you feel is the most "broken"

Define broken however you will, for myself I mean it "ruins" the fun for you by being so strong and requiring immediate counter. Not so worried by later game cards as you have had opportunity to get answers by then but my contribution would have to be Iron Sensei. Faced the "coin Mechwarper > Iron Sensei" combo enough times now and it just makes me want to concede if I see I'm against rogue before I even get my first hand. (You start turn 3 facing a 4/5 and a 2/2 which can continue to buff)

Ain't nobody got time for that!

So what are yours?

(Please try to limit it to the new cards)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Deleted
    Doctor Boom feels like it should cost 8 mana. I don't really care that it power creeps War Golem, but it's essentially a 7 mana 9/9, Deathrattle: deal 2-4 damage split between two random enemies. Of course there is the argument that the 7+ slot requires cards to be above the 2M+1 formula so they aren't too slow. And in practice it seems to be solid but balanced. I really can't think of a card which, in practice has been overpowered. Mech Warper could probably be a 2/2.

Quote Originally Posted by Protar View Post
    Doctor Boom feels like it should cost 8 mana. I don't really care that it power creeps War Golem, but it's essentially a 7 mana 9/9, Deathrattle: deal 2-4 damage split between two random enemies. Of course there is the argument that the 7+ slot requires cards to be above the 2M+1 formula so they aren't too slow. And in practice it seems to be solid but balanced. I really can't think of a card which, in practice has been overpowered. Mech Warper could probably be a 2/2.
    I always felt Dr Boom should be a 5/6 or something, Goblins strength has been in their explosives, not their brute Still its nice that you can BGH it I guess. But yeah it does seem to be an "auto include" in a lot of deck types.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Mech warper should IMO be limited to first per turn - like summoner. It's benefit for only working on mechs is that is has 3 health and is naturally a lot harder to remove via any turn 1 play, a lot of 2 damage aoe's, etc.

That or up the mech warpers cost and stats so the effect comes in a couple turns later maybe.

I'd vote Dr Boom as well. The card near guarantees you using multiple cards to remove, even in bigger decks. It works on the end of rushes and is pretty much staple in control.

I could see a stat squish on boom himself being the best change as well, since he would still be bulky enough for rush decks to like him, and he keeps his cool bombs which hes generally run for anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

Dr. Boom, pretty much every deck uses this card just for all the value. Its straight out better than a War Golem for the same cost, while the cards should be balanced atleast.

Unstable Portal, there's a way too high chance to get extremely value out of it.

Undertaker could be slightly nerfed.

Nothing. There are zero degenerate cards in GvG. Doctor Boom is an incremental upgrade on the existing control finisher package that hardly alters the strength of control decks at all, the mech archetype isn't strong enough to call Mechwarper broken yet, and nothing else is a candidate.

Quote Originally Posted by Mahourai View Post
    Nothing. There are zero degenerate cards in GvG. Doctor Boom is an incremental upgrade on the existing control finisher package that hardly alters the strength of control decks at all, the mech archetype isn't strong enough to call Mechwarper broken yet, and nothing else is a candidate.
    Whole archetypes held up by single cards is terrible design regardless of whether the archetype is OP or not.
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by McNeil View Post
    Dr. Boom, pretty much every deck uses this card just for all the value. Its straight out better than a War Golem for the same cost, while the cards should be balanced atleast.

Unstable Portal, there's a way too high chance to get extremely value out of it.

Undertaker could be slightly nerfed.
    I disagree with Unstable Portal, yeah the odds of you getting value out of it are usually 75% if not higher, the point is, you always play this early and you miss out on Tempo because you wasted a turn playing it (unless of course you get a 3 drop or less out of it). What doesn't make Unstable Port broken is that it is 100% RNG, hell, I've gotten Wisps and Target Dummies at times out of it.

With Dr Boom, I can see why it's an issue, but I think that's precisely why they kept him at 7 ATK for BGH reasons, you could turn him into a 5/5 too I guess?

I haven't really encountered cards that are outright broken, most seem perfectly balanced to me.

10+ Year Old Account
    mech warper needs to be made one more mana.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Have to agree with the Dr Boom votes

Quote Originally Posted by Protar View Post
    My problem with it is that Blizzard needs to price bodies that defy removal higher. The classic example is minions that summon another minion, like creepers, harvest golems and Cairne. Notice their extreme and lasting popularity. Creepers are especially bad in that they summon two bodies on death, meaning that you in principle need three attacks or three individual forms of removal to clear them (if you have no AoE). Dr Boom is also three bodies for one card, not even counting how powerful the bots are.

Multiple bodies for one card are much stronger than their pricing indicates and that's why most of those cards are a mainstay. Especially if they also have a deathrattle like Dr Boom.

- - - Updated - - -

I wouldn't say it's degenerate, but "incremental" my ass.

It's a little too strong is what I'd say. Costing more mana would fix it quite nicely. And/or altering Dr Boom's own stats.

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    Yeah. Or 2HP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Deleted
    Dr Boom is in 100% of legendary decks right now. Zoo, control, ramp, tempo, spell, OTK. Dr Boom is there. He could be a 4/4 and still be a perfectly viable card, because he's essentially a 3-for-1 just on play.

Iron Sensei is pretty crazy. Even if it died on turn 1, it gets its value. That Mage goblin thing that Battlecry: Casts a combo'd Eviscerate is totally broken as well. Without the battlecry it's a balanced card. Throw in a 2-mana spell for free and it's- shocker- 2 mana overpowered.

And it's not really broken because Priests have always had ridiculous combos, but that 'Minus 2 attack to a minion' thing is insane; 4 damage minions went from being the safest to the worst things you could possibly play against a priest, because guess what? They're not 2 mana, and get MCd.
    Turn 2 [3/7] spellpower+1 Northshire Cleric is also a bit of a joke.

10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum
    The game needs a sideboard. I hate 1 duel battles.

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    lol

Quote Originally Posted by Raiju View Post
    Whole archetypes held up by single cards is terrible design regardless of whether the archetype is OP or not.
    No, it isn't, and looking at Mech like it's being "held up" by Mechwarper is not correct.

EDIT:

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    I wouldn't say it's degenerate, but "incremental" my ass.
    It just isn't that big of an upgrade from the pre-GVG "splashly endgame legendary" slots.
    Last edited by Mahourai; 2015-01-08 at 11:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    Define broken however you will, for myself I mean it "ruins" the fun for you by being so strong and requiring immediate counter. Not so worried by later game cards as you have had opportunity to get answers by then but my contribution would have to be Iron Sensei. Faced the "coin Mechwarper > Iron Sensei" combo enough times now and it just makes me want to concede if I see I'm against rogue before I even get my first hand. (You start turn 3 facing a 4/5 and a 2/2 which can continue to buff)
    IMO, for 3 mana it should read "at the start of your turn".

Otherwise it should cost more like 5.

10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    IMO, for 3 mana it should read "at the start of your turn".

Otherwise it should cost more like 5.
    Does Hearthstone have an "POWER NINE" yet? I got most legends and cards but unsure what are the power cards.

No, it isn't, and looking at Mech like it's being "held up" by Mechwarper is not correct.
    I could bring up dozens of examples of bad metas in previous card games caused by single cards propping up archetypes. It's terrible design and makes games awful to play with that archetype if you get unlucky and don't see it. PARTICULARLY in one of the only card games of its 'style' with no searches/engines.

10+ Year Old Account
    Iron Juggernaut is OP in any decent control/turtle deck. Free pyroblast kthnxbai.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    I do not have enough hands to apply enough palms to my face.

Quote Originally Posted by Raiju View Post
    I could bring up dozens of examples of bad metas in previous card games caused by single cards propping up archetypes.
    This isn't evidence that building your deck around one card is bad design. There is no evidence for that, since it's ridiculous. Splashy, build-around-me cards are great when well tuned (which Mechwarper is).

Quote Originally Posted by DFTR View Post
    And it's not really broken because Priests have always had ridiculous combos, but that 'Minus 2 attack to a minion' thing is insane; 4 damage minions went from being the safest to the worst things you could possibly play against a priest, because guess what? They're not 2 mana, and get MCd.
    Turn 2 [3/7] spellpower+1 Northshire Cleric is also a bit of a joke.
    Eh, I think Shrinkmeister is fair, because the 4 attack blind spot left Priests wide open to certain minions, now they can counter them if they happen to have the mana and cards in hand to get off the combo that turn.

I've actually yet to see it used as anything other than a body, and I haven't seen SW:P in forever. Might be a symptom of the decks I play.

lol
    A 2/3 for 2 is good. A 2/3 for 2 that benefits you from the round it is played and continues to add value every turn thereafter? Yeah it should probably cost 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayburner View Post
    Does Hearthstone have an "POWER NINE" yet? I got most legends and cards but unsure what are the power cards.
    I don't know a lot about MTG... power nine is old legacy cards no longer allowed in regular play?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrgannus View Post
    Iron Juggernaut is OP in any decent control/turtle deck. Free pyroblast kthnxbai.
    It's a clutch card. It's rubbish if you mulligan it for example. Or it could lolwin a match for you. I saw some of the big name streamers debating its value a lot, think they wound up benching it.