Thread: $700-800 build

$700-800 build

Building my first Desktop. Got a budget of 700-800 bucks.

What I'm going to use it for:
    League of Legends
    Smite
    Tomb Raider
    Skyrim
    Torchlight 2
    Batman Arkham Series
    Borderlands Series
    Civ 5
    Dark Souls

You get the gist.

I wanna be able to get as high in the settings as I can at 30 fps+ I'm not looking to blow everything out of the water. Just want to play games without everything looking like poop for once.

This is what i came up with: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/RCxGwP
    It totals out at around $831 before rebates.

Thoughts?

Is the wi fi really a must? You really want ethernet for gaming but anyways..

Here, fixed it for you.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($185.88 @ OutletPC)
    Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($79.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($72.69 @ B&H)
    Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($104.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 280X 3GB Double Dissipation Video Card ($219.99 @ NCIX US)
    Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($57.99 @ Micro Center)
    Power Supply: XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($52.99 @ Newegg)
    Wireless Network Adapter: Asus PCE-N15 802.11b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($24.99 @ Micro Center)
    Total: $799.51
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-01-11 21:38 EST-0500

Now for the changes and explanations.

i5 4440 is for the lowest possible budget builds, you arent that, for everything else 4590, for OC 4690K, for work 4790K.

A cooler is a massive waste of money on any build thats not going to overclock, the default is there for a reason, it doesnt do an amazing job but it does a half decent job for whats it supposed to do, there is absolutely 0 need to add a cooler on a non-K CPU, but its the trend lately and you wont listen so , unless you are gonna be playing next to a furnace or an oven 24/7 and the room temperature isnt the usual 20-25C but you are playing in a 45C room then yeah, the cooler might have issues.

B85 is old chipset and overpriced, i put you a Z97 only for the memory support it provides, price difference from a H97 is non existent.

Seagate is horrible, gaming PC without SSD = MASSIVE NO after pretty much 2012.

When you have 50$ more add a http://pcpartpicker.com/part/western...drive-wd10ezex nothing else, just this particular HDD, there are reasons i am saying that.

A 760 was a good card, but right now its a no, its overpriced even the 4GB versions while not as strong compared to the competition, anything below 300$ and you go AMD, anything above 300$ and you go Nvidia.

Generally the 280X is about 10-15% faster than a 760 and the particular XFX is a beast, you wont have any VRAM issues at 1080p too.

750W PSU is a massive massive overkill unless you plan to SLI 2x290X (Which only an idiot would do with the existence of 970) therefor you do not need one unless you plan to SLI another 280X or something.

And dont cheapen out on an adapter, put you a half decent PCI one although i would seriously look into 50$ + ones.
    Last edited by potis; 2015-01-12 at 03:11 AM.

Router is in another room, so Ethernet cable isnt really an option.

Also thank you for the explanation. I didn't know that about the cpu cooler (First time build, I just looked at examples and went with it)

Thanks for the advice!
    Last edited by amishjello; 2015-01-12 at 02:57 AM.

Lets hope from what i wrote you didnt just focused on the part about the cooler..

No, I focused on it all. I'm assuming the HDD will be good as an external, unless it can be mounted on the inside. You said there were reasons for the one you mentioned, what are they?

I am planning running two gpu's in the future, and since you said running two 280x would be stupid. Will another card work alongside the 280x in the build or should I buy two new cards when I do decide to run two.

The reason for it is because even as a storage, it aint crapstatic from any aspect.

Long short explanation, that particular revision is made out of better parts that belong to a more expensive drive because the more expensive drive hasnt had its upgrade yet.

If you are planning to run two GPU's i suggest you buy the other one very soon cause you are gonna be looking for them just to make sure its the same exact one to avoid any weirdness.

2x280x isnt stupid at all, considering their price right now it would be an amazing thing assuming the game you play and the AMD drivers like each other.

I said running 2 x 290X would be stupid, not 280x (290X costs as much as a 970 while being worst in every aspect other than performance which they are equal hence the comment because they require lots of power).

If you are planning to SLI/Xfire then the EVGA one isnt a bad choice but maybe the 80+gold one ;p or the XFX 750W one.

Deleted
    This build comes to around $900 before rebates:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.88 @ OutletPC)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper TX3 54.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($16.99 @ Micro Center)
    Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($79.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Patriot Viper 3 Low Profile Red 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($71.99 @ NCIX US)
    Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($104.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 285 2GB Double Dissipation Video Card ($184.99 @ NCIX US)
    Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($57.99 @ Micro Center)
    Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($49.99 @ NCIX US)
    Wireless Network Adapter: Rosewill RNX-N150UBE 802.11b/g/n USB 2.0 Wi-Fi Adapter ($11.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $798.80
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-01-12 03:04 EST-0500

Itr includes full OC capacity as the expense of an additional HDD. You get an R9-285 (which is almost equivalent to the 280X, but with Mantle included natively, as well as some other revisions/updates) and an after-market cooler for instant OC capability out of the box, although the board I chose is a limiting factor.