Page 1 of 46
... LastLast
    Herald of the Titans Babylonius's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

[HELP] *Official* "Fix My Monk" Thread

Fix My Monk

Purpose of this thread:
    - To assist people who have made an effort into their damage yet are struggling to meet their expected numbers. If you have exhausted other avenues and don't know what to do for further improvement this is the thread for you.
    - To allow experienced players to share their oozing nuggets of wisdom with those eager to learn. Everyone who has a solution to share is welcome to contribute.

Before Posting:
    - Make sure you've read the relevant sticky guide (Windwalker, Brewmaster, Mistweaver) and understand the basics of preparing your spec. This thread isn't for teaching you how to gem, glyph, enchant correctly or of the basics of stat priority and rotation usage.
    - Don't just throw up links to your armory or logs and expect somebody to dig through it. Explain what you're not satisfied with, what you want to become better at and/or tell us when you think you're lacking.
    - Any resources you have which can detail the problem are useful. Warcraft Logs parses are especially helpful, but in the worst case other types of information like prints of Recount could suffice. To create World of Logs parses, simply type /combatlog into your chat ingame. Your combatlog will then be saved as a .txt in your WoW > Logs folder. Once leave combat or finish raiding for the day you can upload that log to your account on World of Logs.
    -Most people have the same problems. Chances are you aren't keeping Tiger Power, Shuffle, Renewing Mists up, or using Rising Sun Kick, Fists of Fury, etc, enough. Please check these things first, it may be a simple change that will save everyone time.
    To figure out maximum number of casts: Fight length (seconds) divided by spell cooldown
    Example: Butcher - 4 Minute (240s fight), Fists of Fury - 25s cooldown
    240s / 25s = 9 possible casts

Before posting, upload your WcL report to Checkmywow.com all three Monk specs are implemented and work very well. This is a great place to start and will save everyone lots of time.

What to post:
    Use the template below, be as specific as you can, you will get more help that way.
    HTML Code:
    [B]Armory[/B]:
    [B]Spec[/B]:
    [B]Combat Log Parse (WoL/WCL)[/B]:

Example Post:
    Armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...onius/advanced
    Spec: Windwalker
    Combat Log Parse (WoL/WCL): http://warcraftlogs.com/superawesometotallylegitlink

Hey, I'm having some issues with my DPS. I've seen people with my gear do at least 32k on Brackenspore, but I've only managed 29k. What's wrong? I've included some recent logs so you can see my performance etc. Thanks!

What NOT to post:
    - A question thats blatantly answered in your specs stickied guide.
    - Stealth bragging damage logs.
    - "Is Gear A > Gear B?" queries those are often best simulated using SimCraft on your own character to find a personal solution, see below for instructions on how to use SimCraft
    - Theorycrafting discussions should be kept in their respective guide thread

How to help:
    - Quote the user you wish to help.
    - Flame or trolling such as "L2P issue" will not be tolerated at all.
    - Make your post as clear as you can.

Try to keep the thread as clean as possible, any new thread regarding DPS help will be merged with this one and original thread closed.

SimulationCraft

What is SimulationCraft?
    SimulationCraft is a tool to explore combat mechanics in World of Warcraft. It's a tool which simulates in-game combat based on variables you've set, like class, spec, gear, buffs/debuffs, ability prioritization, encounter type, fight length etc, then provides you with a breakdown of statistics similar to a World of Logs parse. SimulationCraft simulates combat tens of thousands of times to create as accurate avarages as possible.

It's most commonly used to find personal stat weights, find or test optimal ability prioritizations, test different gear approaches, or simply confirm that you're doing a good job at the combat dummy.

Simple 7-Step Guide to Using SimulationCraft
    1. Download from http://code.google.com/p/simulationcraft/
    2. Run the program and click the Options-tab. Specify the specifics of the simulation you want to do and how many times to simulate it.
    3. Scroll through the Buff/Debuff panes selecting the relevant spells (realistically you won't be getting Dark intent for example)
    4. Scroll through Scaling/Plot panes selecting all relevant Warrior stats (or just select everything). Note that simulating scaling for stat weights takes a lot of time and if you're not interested in finding your stat weights you should uncheck everything here
    5. Click Import, either pasting your armory link into the textbox at the bottom of the software or selecting the chardev pane and pasting the link for that under that heading
    6. Once imported click simulate and wait patiently
    7. This should show stat weights and an overall dps estimation. Through using altered chardev profiles you can estimate the potential benefit/loss from any specific gear change
    Last edited by Babylonius; 2016-10-06 at 06:16 PM.
    Creator of WalkingTheWind.com and PeakOfSerenity.com
    Former Monk Mod of MMOChampion | Admin/Moderator of Monk Discord
    Armory | Logs | Guild | Twitch

Armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ybounce/simple
    Spec: Mistweaver
    Combat Log Parse (WoL/WCL): https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...ss=-2&source=3

Thanks a lot for this thread, lord knows we needed one.
    I'll kick this off, since I recently started a thread asking for help, if you lot have any suggestions to increase my overall healing, it would be greatly appreciated!

edit for specifics: I see other mistweavers w/ the same gear as I with more healing, generally would love some nitpicking on my logs, sorry if that's not what this thread is for, but it's definitely what I want. >.<

Deleted
    Armory: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../Itzboa/simple
    Combat Log Parse (WoL/WCL): https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...nVxMmP#boss=-2
    https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/RDtPBFVpc1vm4Lq6

I looked @ simcraft and there i should do 31k dps in a patchwerk fight.. I know patchwerk is without movement etc. But am i missing something? 662 gear and 20-23k dps i quess thats kinda low. Hopefully someone can help me.
    Thx in advance

i looked at the rankings with my ilvl @WCL but i cant get to them numbers...
    https://www.warcraftlogs.com/ranking...r&difficulty=4

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by princeboa View Post
    Armory: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../Itzboa/simple
    Combat Log Parse (WoL/WCL): https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...nVxMmP#boss=-2
    https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/RDtPBFVpc1vm4Lq6

I looked @ simcraft and there i should do 31k dps in a patchwerk fight.. I know patchwerk is without movement etc. But am i missing something? 662 gear and 20-23k dps i quess thats kinda low. Hopefully someone can help me.
    Thx in advance

i looked at the rankings with my ilvl @WCL but i cant get to them numbers...
    https://www.warcraftlogs.com/ranking...r&difficulty=4
    31k dps on a single target fight in 662 gear seems a bit high to shoot for. However, 20-23k dps is a bit low, I believe.

Looking at The Butcher (Der Schlachter) that you provided, you did 26k dps, which is pretty good on that fight. It put you at the 72nd percentile overall and 79th for your ilvl, which is above average. Here's what I look for in a log:

Tiger Power - 99% uptime before you died - Awesome
    Fists of fury - 8 casts, 9 possible - Pretty good
    Rising Sun Kick - 23 casts, 30 possible - could be better
    Chi Wave - 13 casts, 16 possible - could be better
    Touch of Karma - 2 casts, 3 possible - can always fit another in there
    Serenity - 3 of 3 casts - Good
    Chi Brew - 5 of 5 casts - Good

A few tweaks:
    You're TEB wasn't always used with your trinket proc, it fell off while your trinket was still up several times, and never got higher than 12 stacks. You appear to have been using it with Fists of Fury, which is fine, but using it with trinket procs will get you a little bit more damage.
    You know the fight is going to be 4 minutes so its easier to plan out your CDs and know how many you need to fit in to make the most out of it. If you cast Fists of Fury the max 9 times, you have 15-23 seconds throughout the fight to delay FoF and wait for a trinket proc to use TEB. It can be a bit risky, but the reward is greater the more you can stack CDs together.

Overall I don't think you're far off from where you want to be, just make sure you're hitting more buttons. You had 172 casts in a 248 GCD fight, which means (minus 4s for every FoF) you were only auto attacking for 28 seconds. This may be unavoidable at this gear level, but its always good to be conscious of.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Boottybounce View Post
    Armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ybounce/simple
    Combat Log Parse (WoL/WCL): https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...ss=-2&source=3

Thanks a lot for this thread, lord knows we needed one.
    I'll kick this off, since I recently started a thread asking for help, if you lot have any suggestions to increase my overall healing, it would be greatly appreciated!

edit for specifics: I see other mistweavers w/ the same gear as I with more healing, generally would love some nitpicking on my logs, sorry if that's not what this thread is for, but it's definitely what I want. >.<
    How would you feel if I said you could cast Uplift twice as much as you did for less over-healing? I'm not great at scrutinizing logs but that is something that immediately jumps out at me. I think you are undervaluing it. Use it more and time it better to try and reduce the over-heal.

Also, across all fights I don't see a single cast of Rushing Jade Wind. On a fight by fight basis (like say you are FWing) you might want to try switching between Xuen and RJW. People who are in the same gear but doing more healing than you, take a quick look at their logs if you can and tell me how high of a % of their healing is RJW.

Hope this helps.

Deleted
    Armory: Aedwin
    Combat Log Parse (WoL/WCL): Warcraft Logs

I think for the most part I'm doing pretty well, but if I'm missing something that could pop up my DPS a bit or I'm failing to abuse a mechanic let me know. This was last nights Mythic Brackenspore progression.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zalon View Post
    Armory: Aedwin
    Combat Log Parse (WoL/WCL): Warcraft Logs

I think for the most part I'm doing pretty well, but if I'm missing something that could pop up my DPS a bit or I'm failing to abuse a mechanic let me know. This was last nights Mythic Brackenspore progression.
    2 things real quick:

1. You seem to not have popped your TEB stacks for the beginning trinket proc/lust/prepot and first FoF. Anytime things are lining up like that you need to pop whatever TEB stacks you have. There have been some threads discussing openers, and essentially you want to come into the fight with full chi power, get RSK and TP up then chiex > TEB > Jab > FoF (something like that).

2. Your 2nd pot was used during the beginning of the second ad. You should line it up with trinket proc/TEB (and in this case, also the ad).

edit: oh, noticed your raid wasn't making good use of the blue mushrooms (some pulls that were long you guys had zero uptime on them). You guys need to do that.

Keyboard Turner
    7+ Year Old Account
    Hey all, so i finally decided to finally make an account on here and start mingling. but any who i have been playing brewmaster since mop and i have fallen in love with him. my issue is i know there is so much i can do better but i am kinda stuck at trying to figure out what i can do.

i am wulfbide on blackhand server. i would post my link to my warcraftlog but it wont let me. i have swapped from a mastery build and went to crit. also started using chi ex. but my issue is i feel like i am lacking and not sure were. i have been searching these forums since launch and been following leblues stream and misume's stream. but i cant figure out how to read my logs. also i have a small guild we only have about 4 people so i would like to get my self confidence up so i can pug to actually get some more kills in and try to go onto mythic.

Thank you for your help in advance and also if u need to rip my toon apart i have no issues i wanna learn and be one of the best since i only really ever play my monk.

and my main thing its it feels like i take a crap ton of damage.
    Last edited by wulfbide; 2015-01-13 at 03:43 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by wulfbide View Post
    Hey all, so i finally decided to finally make an account on here and start mingling. but any who i have been playing brewmaster since mop and i have fallen in love with him. my issue is i know there is so much i can do better but i am kinda stuck at trying to figure out what i can do.

i am wulfbide on blackhand server. i would post my link to my warcraftlog but it wont let me. i have swapped from a mastery build and went to crit. also started using chi ex. but my issue is i feel like i am lacking and not sure were. i have been searching these forums since launch and been following leblues stream and misume's stream. but i cant figure out how to read my logs. also i have a small guild we only have about 4 people so i would like to get my self confidence up so i can pug to actually get some more kills in and try to go onto mythic.

Thank you for your help in advance and also if u need to rip my toon apart i have no issues i wanna learn and be one of the best since i only really ever play my monk.
    Armory link

Logs

Where do you feel you're lacking? Are you referring to that in terms of damage output, or survival?

If it's the former, are there any specific examples you have? If it's the latter, I would recommend staying with Mastery/Serenity until you build up some confidence with tanking.

Keyboard Turner
    7+ Year Old Account
    its mostly the latter. i mean i feel like when i was using the serenity build i had i was doing really good survival but i was also bored as hell cause we would keep hitting enrage timers hence why i jumped to the crit build that i ran in mop. hence why i came here for help i feel that i can get better just not sure were i am lacking if i am not purifying enough or if its just my chi management for using chi ex.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lumi
    WW
    Logs

I hate asking for help since I generally know what I'm doing, but there's just something FUNDAMENTALLY wrong with Serenity and I. These logs are all probably a bad example, but since it's the first time I've had to go back to using it, and on progression to boot, they're the only ones available. What am I missing? It's infuriating pulling 30k on that specific log with 6 procs from Scales. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. RIP 2pc.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ow/Vtek/simple:
    Windwalker:
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...?s=5715&e=5972:

I don't know how to seriously take simulationcraft but im off on mine a little, also the higher ilvl everyone gets the lower my dps becomes so it would be nice to know how to get the rest of my DPS/what im doing wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lunasta View Post
    Lumi
    WW
    Logs

I hate asking for help since I generally know what I'm doing, but there's just something FUNDAMENTALLY wrong with Serenity and I. These logs are all probably a bad example, but since it's the first time I've had to go back to using it, and on progression to boot, they're the only ones available. What am I missing? It's infuriating pulling 30k on that specific log with 6 procs from Scales. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. RIP 2pc.
    Not exactly sure why 30k is cause for concern but:

Tiger Power - 94% - Good
    Fists of fury - 9 of 9 casts - Good
    Rising Sun Kick - 28 of 30 - Good
    Chi Wave - 11 of 16 - Definitely could be better
    Touch of Karma - 2 of 3 - could be better
    Serenity - 3 of 3 - Good
    Chi Brew - 5 of 5 - Good

TEB seemed lined up with trinkets and other bonus damages as much as possible. Not really sure what you think you're missing other than a few more Chi Wave casts.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nicry View Post
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ow/Vtek/simple:
    Windwalker:
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...?s=5715&e=5972:

I don't know how to seriously take simulationcraft but im off on mine a little, also the higher ilvl everyone gets the lower my dps becomes so it would be nice to know how to get the rest of my DPS/what im doing wrong.
    Again, not sure how 27k at 669 ilvl is much cause for concern but:

Tiger Power - 97.8% - Good
    Fists of fury - 8 of 9 - Not perfect, but fine
    Rising Sun Kick - 29 of 30 - Good
    Chi Wave - harder to see on WoL but... 12 casts? out of 16 - could be better
    Touch of Karma - 1 of 3 - missing some DPS here
    Serenity - 3 of 3 - Good
    Chi Brew - 5 of 5 - Good

World of Logs is harder to see timing for things, but overall things look decent, just make use of ToK as an offensive when you know you dont need it as a defensive, and try to fit in a few more Chi Waves.

Valdarixie:
    Windwalker:
    https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...pe=damage-done:

I am my guilds floater (DPS and Heal depending on the fight). My WW set has gotten some decent drops but I still can't seem to compete with the rest of my raid group. The log above is the last time I killed Butcher as DPS. Since this raid the rest of the groups DPS has risen even more and I still can't break 20k, in reality I only really seem to compete on Twins because of SEF. I have tried following the many guides online and just can't seem to break out of the weak-mediocre. On Ko'ragh I was doing 13k WW, and could pull 11 during times that I was FW in MW stance. I just can't figure out why my WW spec is so bad.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Valdarix View Post
    Valdarixie:
    Windwalker:
    https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...pe=damage-done:

I am my guilds floater (DPS and Heal depending on the fight). My WW set has gotten some decent drops but I still can't seem to compete with the rest of my raid group. The log above is the last time I killed Butcher as DPS. Since this raid the rest of the groups DPS has risen even more and I still can't break 20k, in reality I only really seem to compete on Twins because of SEF. I have tried following the many guides online and just can't seem to break out of the weak-mediocre. On Ko'ragh I was doing 13k WW, and could pull 11 during times that I was FW in MW stance. I just can't figure out why my WW spec is so bad.
    Tiger Power - 49% uptime - huge loss of DPS
    Fists of fury - 6 of 8 casts - losing dps here
    Rising Sun Kick - 16 of 25 - Not good
    Chi Wave - 8 of 13 - see above
    Touch of Karma - 3 of 3 - good
    Serenity - 2 of 3 - could be better
    Chi Brew - 4 of 4 times - good

You're losing a bunch of DPS by letting Tiger Power fall off and by simply not pressing enough buttons. RSK's debuff even fell of a few times which should pretty much never happen, you have 7 seconds after the CD is up before the debuff falls off. It was also hard to see any attempt to use TEB at times to boost DPS, a few times you used it at less than 10 stacks, but didnt have any trinkets or other buffs up. You didnt appear to use FoF during any TEB casts, which is a huge DPS increase.

Your first priority is to set a way to track Tiger Power if you haven't already, it should almost never fall off, and if it does, should be applied immediately. After that make sure you're using RSK at least every 15s for the debuff. Once you have those 2 things down then plan a way to use FoF on CD so you're not missing casts. Then focus on using RSK on cooldown, provided it doesnt' put off FoF. Fill your time with casting Jab> Blackout Kick as long as it doesn't stop any of the above from happening.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Babylonius View Post
    Not exactly sure why 30k is cause for concern but:

Tiger Power - 94% - Good
    Fists of fury - 9 of 9 casts - Good
    Rising Sun Kick - 28 of 30 - Good
    Chi Wave - 11 of 16 - Definitely could be better
    Touch of Karma - 2 of 3 - could be better
    Serenity - 3 of 3 - Good
    Chi Brew - 5 of 5 - Good

TEB seemed lined up with trinkets and other bonus damages as much as possible. Not really sure what you think you're missing other than a few more Chi Wave casts.
    I'm probably just being too nit-picky then. Truly felt like I must have been missing something with Serenity with some of the numbers out there. Thank you for the input, Babylonius I wont worry too much about it then which is some weight off my shoulders.

Armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...rmonk/advanced
    Combat Log Parse (WoL/WCL): https://www.warcraftlogs.com/ranking...503037/latest/

I think I am doing everything as I should, I just want to know if there is more I could be doing.

Deleted
    What NOT to post:
    - Stealth bragging damage logs.
    Please remember, boys and girls.

Help me with butcher

Hey i've some problems with butcher i dont know but i deal very low dps about 20k and im ilvl 657 :S

here is the log

http://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/...Cdykf#fight=20

pj: Jastic

Mod note: Moved, please check existing threads before making your own.
    Last edited by Babylonius; 2015-01-14 at 04:21 AM.

Logs: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...pe=damage-done (Tonights H Butcher, feel free to look at any of the other fights)
    Armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...Tenziin/simple

My monk guildy was asking for some advice to improve, unfortunately monks aren't a class I know much about. Any help would be appreciated.