Need a little advice on my current build

Currently running:

I5 3570k (haven't bothered to overclock it, would need to buy a better fan and heatsink before I did considering my room stays pretty warm)
    ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 motherboard
    Samsung 840 120GB SSD
    8GB Corsair Vengance DDR3 2133

I've been using a Radeon HD6770 which isn't giving me anywhere near the performance I want (haven't been doing much gaming until recently so it wasn't an issue until now) and I'm considering buying a GTX970 to replace it. Would that be overkill in comparison to my other hardware? I'm not very up to date on current hardware but I get the impression that the 970 is a very powerful and reliable card that doesn't have too high of a price tag. I'll probably update the CPU, motherboard, and possibly RAM once Intel releases their next line. Let me know what you guys think. I don't have a strict budget, but I don't want to dip into my savings or anything to cover this upgrade.

Edit: To be more specific, I want to put about $400-$500 in it and have it last another year or two before needing another update.
    Last edited by Tonkaman; 2015-01-12 at 03:43 PM.

You already figured things out yourself, not much else to tell.

And no there wont be any issues at all.

Also i doubt you would need to change for the next line depending on what Skylane will bring but i dont expect much difference ;p

Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    You already figured things out yourself, not much else to tell.

And no there wont be any issues at all.

Also i doubt you would need to change for the next line depending on what Skylane will bring but i dont expect much difference ;p
    Thought so, but wanted to check with those more experienced than I Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Tonkaman View Post
    Thought so, but wanted to check with those more experienced than I Thanks!
    Make sure to buy some OC version and not a reference though.

MSI=Gigabye>Asus>EVGA-->The rest

My opinion on the 970s.

Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    Make sure to buy some OC version and not a reference though.

MSI=Gigabye>Asus>EVGA-->The rest

My opinion on the 970s.
    Yeah I was planning on buying this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814127833

Just checking around different sites and reading reviews before I finalize the purchase.

MSI Gaming/ Gigabyte G1/Asus STRIX/Zotac AMP!/EVGA FTW