Help Understanding PWS on Warcraft logs

Hi,

I do not play a priest but I was log checking for one of our raiders and I was stumped for the first time in a long time when it came to healing for Disc mainly with PWS.

Assuming the fight is equal (length, number of healers, iLVL)

If both people have the same amount of casts, the over heal % is about equal, they absorb for the same amount of damage yet one person has almost 30-40% more "Hits" on Warcraft logs what does that mean exactly.

If this is not clear please let me know and I can try to further explain but I am completely stumped.

Thanks in Advance for your help!

It sounds like one disc priest is choosing better targets than the other one, but if they both have same/similar HPS, then I don't see how that's possible. I've just started analyzing logs, so I'm probably not the best opinion to chime in.

Information that would help are the actual logs so others can examine them. Armory links or a way to find them would/could also help to compare gear and stats. Even at the same ilvl, the stats could be significantly different.

Quote Originally Posted by karlshalamon View Post
    Hi,

I do not play a priest but I was log checking for one of our raiders and I was stumped for the first time in a long time when it came to healing for Disc mainly with PWS.

Assuming the fight is equal (length, number of healers, iLVL)

If both people have the same amount of casts, the over heal % is about equal, they absorb for the same amount of damage yet one person has almost 30-40% more "Hits" on Warcraft logs what does that mean exactly.

If this is not clear please let me know and I can try to further explain but I am completely stumped.

Thanks in Advance for your help!
    The "hits" on wcl indicate when a player has Power Word: Shield on them and takes damage. The discrepancy between your two priests is most likely because one of them is doing a better job predicting damage and shielding targets what will take damage while the other is just randomly shielding.

Quote Originally Posted by Nahdu View Post
    The "hits" on wcl indicate when a player has Power Word: Shield on them and takes damage. The discrepancy between your two priests is most likely because one of them is doing a better job predicting damage and shielding targets what will take damage while the other is just randomly shielding.
    Doesn't over heal % account for expired shields/over stacking shields? Or is this me miss understanding how over heal is represented on WCL? Even if someone is putting shields on less favorable targets as long as it is consumed in full before falling off then it should have the same impact on the meters.

Do you have a link to the logs I can look at so I can better answer your question?

Do you have a link to the logs I can look at so I can better answer your question?
    I cannot link so I sent you a PM with our guild info to find. Thanks for your help it is much appreciated.

The first thing that sticks out to me is that he is using spirit shell. Then general choice right now is power infusion because Spirit Shell requires using Pray of Healing which costs a lot of mana. This is especially true at low gear levels. Im 674 on my priest and I dont even use it. Youre better off using Power Infusion to get out shields really fast with lower mana on important targets.

He is also casting PoM which is a bad thing. The heals per mana on that spell are rather low. It is viable to use the Word of Mending talent on that fight since there should be someone else tank healing and it is about 5% overall healing when blanketing with PW:S. Flash heals casts are also a bad thing but that is highly situation and is ok if a target is about to die.

He also needs to be using Solace instead of Mindbender and be using it on cooldown as much as he can. It is more mana overall if used properly. This can be easily managed with a weakaura. I can send you mine if you like.

Borrowed Time ( the buff you gain from casting PW:S ) is VERY low. It should be 90%+ at least. Make sure he is pre-shielding when pulverize and quake are coming out. Personally I use an int pot and power infusion on pull to shield up the entire first quake. Make sure to use a mana pot later however.

I can look more in depth later as I am at work right now.

The first thing that sticks out to me is that he is using spirit shell. Then general choice right now is power infusion because Spirit Shell requires using Pray of Healing which costs a lot of mana. This is especially true at low gear levels. Im 674 on my priest and I dont even use it. Youre better off using Power Infusion to get out shields really fast with lower mana on important targets.

He is also casting PoM which is a bad thing. The heals per mana on that spell are rather low. It is viable to use the Word of Mending talent on that fight since there should be someone else tank healing and it is about 5% overall healing when blanketing with PW:S. Flash heals casts are also a bad thing but that is highly situation and is ok if a target is about to die.

He also needs to be using Solace instead of Mindbender and be using it on cooldown as much as he can. It is more mana overall if used properly. This can be easily managed with a weakaura. I can send you mine if you like.

Borrowed Time ( the buff you gain from casting PW:S ) is VERY low. It should be 90%+ at least. Make sure he is pre-shielding when pulverize and quake are coming out. Personally I use an int pot and power infusion on pull to shield up the entire first quake. Make sure to use a mana pot later however.

I can look more in depth later as I am at work right now.
    Thanks for your help I will look later tonight as I am also at work. If you could link your logs or PM them to me that would be great.

Lookup Convergence Gaming - US Illidan on wcl. I am Holyhater/Nahdu. I recently changed my name. There is a lot of parses in there. Some better than others. I log just about everything including pugs.

I also tried to armory your priest but for some reason he is not showing up even when I click on him in the guild.
    Last edited by Nahdu; 2015-01-15 at 04:57 PM.

Personally I use an int pot and power infusion on pull to shield up the entire first quake. Make sure to use a mana pot later however.
    This is interesting, thanks. So you're pre-potting int? Any other fights you do this?

The only ones that I feel it is useful are Butcher and Twins where the healing is immediately needed. And I can still use a mana pot later if I need it.

Quote Originally Posted by chrrie View Post
    This is interesting, thanks. So you're pre-potting int? Any other fights you do this?
    It's common to pre-pot intellect as a healer, because you start at full mana and it is a straight increase. What else are you going to pre-pot? Min-maxing at its finest.
    Pew Pew Pow Pow Bam Pop Smack