Thread: Tough Mudder

10+ Year Old Account

Tough Mudder

I made the foolish decision to start training for the ridiculously grueling Tough Mudder in September this year. I have never done anything like this and am currently not in shape to complete it with only 8 months to condition my body. I'm not in completely terribad shape now, but I need to be able to run a 10-12 mile obstacle course. It's brutal. Anyways, has anyone here done this or anything like it? What would be some training suggestions? I actually have a friend who is a coach as their profession helping me out with it (they were also the one that talked me into doing it) so I'm not going in completely blind in my regimen. The thing that will be difficult will be finding consistently muddy terrain to train in as a large portion of my 8 month training period will be in the summer and the ground will be far more dry. Am I overthinking this?

I don't know, I don't like to do things unless I can pull them off well. I want to kick ass at this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    I do not have enough hands to apply enough palms to my face.

8 months is a long time to get in shape for a 12 mile run. Run every 2 or 3 days and slowly ramp up the distance.

The Unstoppable Force Friendlyimmolation's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The Dreadfort, or Korriban. You never know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrgannus View Post
    I made the foolish decision to start training for the ridiculously grueling Tough Mudder in September this year. I have never done anything like this and am currently not in shape to complete it with only 8 months to condition my body. I'm not in completely terribad shape now, but I need to be able to run a 10-12 mile obstacle course. It's brutal. Anyways, has anyone here done this or anything like it? What would be some training suggestions? I actually have a friend who is a coach as their profession helping me out with it (they were also the one that talked me into doing it) so I'm not going in completely blind in my regimen. The thing that will be difficult will be finding consistently muddy terrain to train in as a large portion of my 8 month training period will be in the summer and the ground will be far more dry. Am I overthinking this?

I don't know, I don't like to do things unless I can pull them off well. I want to kick ass at this.
    Ive done it twice with my dad and I can say it is very very fun, you wont feel like you have ran 12 miles when your done and it will be over before you know it. Most of my training was just going to a park with lots of hills and just running the trail there for 45 minutes a day. Id also say to do a lot of stretching too, the only time I had to stop running fora bit was when I had a cramp in my leg.

tough mudder isn't tough at all. i did it in 2010 and unless they really ramped it up, it was a joke as far as the "tough" part goes. that being said, it's a fun event and if you just go at it for the experience you'll be fine. just ramp yourself up as the guys above said and you'll do fine

Foolish decision? You mean awesome decision right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrgannus View Post
    Am I overthinking this?
    Very much so.

First off, Tough Mudder is done by all shapes, sizes and fitness levels. It's also not a race, you go at your own pace. If anything the mental aspect will be more the issue, simply having the will to not just up and quit no matter how long it may be taking you to finish.

As for training on muddy terrain... While I don't personally see that being necessary, you could possibly try sand if you can find an area with it like a beach or such.

I'm currently looking forward to the Tough Mudder in my area in October... And I'm confident as all hell that even in my current state I will finish it at what I find an acceptable pace, and I'm by no means an athlete. If anything I'm more looking forward to how much fun it'll be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasterix View Post
    It's also not a race, you go at your own pace.
    The person that talked me into this is a gymnastics coach and personal trainer. She doesn't want to leave me behind but I don't want to slow her down too much. I'm training hard not just to complete this, but to literally run it. Hence the more hardcore approach
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    I do not have enough hands to apply enough palms to my face.

My impression from runners that I've talked to that have done it is that it's not particularly difficult, and not really done in a format that you can race meaningfully. That said, it seems like a longish day of effort to me, so I'd certainly want to be in good cardiovascular shape and have done some good bodyweight exercises. With that much time ahead of you, it should be fine.

Tough Mudder is way easier than people think. Pretty much everyone who competes finishes, there's no award for coming in first, and lots stay back to help others get over the more difficult hurdles. Honestly, even with minimal or no training you'd likely finish just fine, if a bit exhausted.

10+ Year Old Account
    My ex gf did it and did not train a single day, and she never worked out a day in her life as far as I know.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sykol View Post
    Tough Mudder is way easier than people think. Pretty much everyone who competes finishes, there's no award for coming in first, and lots stay back to help others get over the more difficult hurdles. Honestly, even with minimal or no training you'd likely finish just fine, if a bit exhausted.
    Pretty much how she was at the end :P
    You're a towel.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sykol View Post
    THis. I did it after 4 hours of sleep and drinking the day before. I completed it and felt fine just sore legs. These things aren't hard. Yes thats my opinion. If you have never done anything active in your life then yes I could see this being a challenge but unless you are going for first and doing the competition that they have there is no need to "train" for it.
    Thank god this game isn't just for Rym, we'd have a pretty shitty time - Me

Tough Mudder has some training guide lines.

https://toughmudder.com/training

I have my own training regimen but the above will give you some guide lines.

I've done one and similar type obstacle races. You don't have to be in amazing shape (but it does make it a lot easier). They are a lot of fun.

If you do start getting into these this site has a list of a bunch of different ones: http://www.mudrunguide.com/

The Zombie runs are my favorite.