Page 1 of 2
LastLast

17 Years Later, M. Night Shyamalan's Unbreakable Sequel Is Happening

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/17...source=twitter

Glass is a sequel to both Unbreakable and Split.
    Glass, the sequel to M. Night Shyamalan's 2000 film Unbreakable and last year's Split, is finally shooting. Shyamalan tweeted today from the set, captioning his tweet, "Day 1: Seventeen years in the making." Filming is now underway in Philadelphia.

It's expected to be a 39-day shoot, stretching until early November. Shyamalan also tweeted that the script for Glass is 134 pages, which is down eight pages from where it started.
    The ending of Split revealed that it and Unbreakable take place in the same cinematic universe, a secret that he went to great lengths to protect. Shyamalan later said that it was "always my dream to have both films collide in this third film."

Bruce Willis from Unbreakable is coming back as David Dunn, alongside Samuel L. Jackson's Elijah Price AKA Mr. Glass. Split star James McAvoy will also star in Glass, again playing Kevin Wendell Crumb and his many different identities. Additionally, actress Anya Taylor-Joy's Split character, Casey Cooke, will be in Glass.

In terms of the story, Collider reports that Glass follows Dunn as he's going after Crumb's most extreme personality, The Beast. The movie will chronicle a "series of escalating encounters, while the shadowy presence of Price emerges as an orchestrator who holds secrets critical to both men."

Glass is slated to release on January 18, 2019. Shyamalan first teased the film back in February when he was working on an outline for it. Originally, McAvoy's character--pre-multiple personalities--was going to appear in Unbreakable but was ultimately cut. Split was Shayamalan's biggest opening to date, grossing $100 million its first weekend.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

10+ Year Old Account
    The sequel was called "Split" and it happened last year. "Glass" would be the sequel to Split and the third in what is now a trilogy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammerfest View Post
    The sequel was called "Split" and it happened last year. "Glass" would be the sequel to Split and the third in what is now a trilogy.
    Does Split count as sequel to Unbreakable though? Haven't seen it, but what I know those two movies don't share direct storyline that would make one sequel to the other.

They share an universe, and Glass will be a sequel to both.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post
    Does Split count as sequel to Unbreakable though? Haven't seen it...
    See it, then you tell me.

IIRC Split doesn't contain anything more than a mention of some characters, so they're set in the same universe but it's definitely not a sequel. Unless I missed something, wasn't tremendously impressed with Split, it was a horrible depiction of dissociative identity disorder, and it's pretty impressive that you can make something that interesting that boring.

So yeah, honestly I don't care, it's been a long while since the Sham did a good movie. This will most likely be like Ridley Scotts attempts to make sequels to the Alien franchise, which has simply put turned out to be a bad idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrif View Post
    IIRC Split doesn't contain anything more than a mention of some characters, so they're set in the same universe but it's definitely not a sequel. Unless I missed something, wasn't tremendously impressed with Split, it was a horrible depiction of dissociative identity disorder, and it's pretty impressive that you can make something that interesting that boring.

So yeah, honestly I don't care, it's been a long while since the Sham did a good movie. This will most likely be like Ridley Scotts attempts to make sequels to the Alien franchise, which has simply put turned out to be a bad idea.
    Well, the main character of Unbreakable is literally in Split. The film's basically a bad-guy origins movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrif View Post

Spoiler warning: You missed a lot of somethings.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinzai View Post
    Well, the main character of Unbreakable is literally in Split. The film's basically a bad-guy origins movie.
    Well, being in a brief cameo at the ending falls under my category of kind of just being mentioned. They weren't related to the movie in anyway, doesn't really matter if you just heard about him or got a shot of his face.

Quote Originally Posted by Sykol View Post
    Spoiler warning: You missed a lot of somethings.
    Googled a bit about it, seems to just be the very last ending scene like I remembered it. Alright that it was a cameo instead of just a mention, doesn't really impact anything. Or am I missing something?
    Last edited by Thrif; 2017-10-03 at 09:43 PM.

Not a fan of M Night Shameonyou, but I liked Split quite a bit. Mainly cuz McAvoy is one of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

10+ Year Old Account
    M. Night Shyamalan's last two movies were pretty good actually and after the horrible run of movies he had after unbreakable (which to me is when it started going downhill for him), I would love for the man to make a comeback, I wish him the best that this movie also does pretty well.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    I don’t think Split was a sequel to Unbreakable.
    I do. But perhaps a better word can be found for a film that takes place in the same universe as another movie, after said movie, and features the main character of said movie.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Uh, well, the director doesn’t refer to Split as a sequel, he says this one (Glass) is, so I’m going with what he said, which you happened to leave out of my quote.

- - - Updated - - -

And Split doesn’t really feature the main characters. Bruce Willis makes a very small cameo at the end, which hardly points in the direction of it being a sequel.
    I would call a cameo "featuring a main character." Like I said, perhaps "sequel" doesn't quite fit for SPLIT, but it's really the only term I can think of.

Twist: The first one was just a dream in the mind of a dead water fearing alien.

I dont know (about this argument about split being a sequel)
    Originally i was like.. hell no its not a sequel because it, in and of itself, has almost nothing to do with unbreakable... but then i remembered my favorite book series by steven erikson and the fifth(maybe wrong) book has absolutely no characters (well. almost, i think the crippled god makes an appearance and that counts i suppose) from the first four but it is incredibly important. Hmm...
    I would argue that using the word "features" in regards to bruce willis's cameo in split is a bit misleading, but technically right?

Either way, back to the op. I am looking forward to this movie. Split was one of the most entertaining films in a while.
    There's also nothing stopping Blizzard from resurrecting both Arthas and Archimonde and turning them into super saiyans so that they can fuse and fight Sargeras

10+ Year Old Account
    I wonder if David Dunn is going to recruit a certain lady in the water, a guy who can see dead people and an alien/demon fighting pastor in his attempt to apprehend the Horde...

M. Night.......

I have no interest in this film but will probably end up watching it anyway because his films are quite unique and a hot mess at the same time.

Bruce Willis is way past it though. James Mcavoy is killing it though.

Technically it wasn't a direct sequel. It's more of a "shared cinematic universe".

M. Night Shyamalan's Avengers ahahahaha.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Technically it wasn't a direct sequel. It's more of a "shared cinematic universe".

M. Night Shyamalan's Avengers ahahahaha.
    So what do you then call a movie like SPLIT if "sequel" doesn't quite fit? I don't think calling the film a "shared cinematic universe" works. We might have to make up a word... like "paraquel" or something?

Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    M. Night.......

I have no interest in this film but will probably end up watching it anyway because his films are quite unique and a hot mess at the same time.
    Yeah I have more mixed feelings about him than probably any other filmmaker ever. You flip a coin and either his film is unbelievable awful or pretty great. In either case, you don't soon forget them...

Split was definitely one of his better films. Hopefully that's a good sign... but it's M. Night so who knows...
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

So what do you then call a movie like SPLIT if "sequel" doesn't quite fit? I don't think calling the film a "shared cinematic universe" works. We might have to make up a word... like "paraquel" or something?
    Theres no way its a sequel just because someone turns up in the very last scene in a bar.

Shared universe absolutely.