Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Snow Goons, Lupe Fiasco, Immortal Technique, Hopsin

I think with most songs you need to read the lyrics to fully get to song. Best thing to do after work, smoke some weed, put Headphones on, got some good songs
    and just let ur mind listen to the song. Best feeling to come down
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

Deleted
    i thought hiphop was over and done by the 00s ....

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bany View Post
    i thought hiphop was over and done by the 00s ....
    Well, rap then. I don't know the difference.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MilkaMaus View Post
    Snow Goons, Lupe Fiasco, Immortal Technique, Hopsin

I think with most songs you need to read the lyrics to fully get to song. Best thing to do after work, smoke some weed, put Headphones on, got some good songs
    and just let ur mind listen to the song. Best feeling to come down
    Immortal Technique is just a murderous gangster with a vocabulary, in my opinion. Essentially, he's talking about the same things, murdering, raping, stealing.

Quote Originally Posted by CptEgo View Post

Immortal Technique is just a murderous gangster with a vocabulary, in my opinion. Essentially, he's talking about the same things, murdering, raping, stealing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyOsJWE_GbY No

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MilkaMaus View Post
    There are some really great songs with great political lyrics, but alot of gangster shit too.

Ana Tijoux, if you speak spanish.

The Herd and Aesop Rock. Only hip hop I listen to. Not even sure it's hip hop.

Well u dont always feel like hearing all political/real stuff. Sometimes u just wanna hear Tyga and yam to the beat. Just like on TV, sometimes you just wanna
    watch stupid people

Deleted
    Living Legends, Aesop Rock, Binary Star, Jurassic 5... There are loads but those are some of my favorites.

Del The Funky Homosapien picks mundane everyday topics. An uncommon trait not just for hip hop but for music in general.

Quote Originally Posted by CptEgo View Post
    So, does any hiphop/rap even exist that isn't only about killing niggers, making money and fucking bitches? I would love to listen to some hiphop, but I really can't relate sadly because I'm not a true gangster apparently, the lyrics are just stupid as fuck. Listening to Immortal Technique at the moment, which is probably the most intelligent I've heard so far, but still, he is talking about killing people alot..
    Totally agreed. I could never really enjoy listening some random guys rapping about how they came from the ghetto and fucked yo mother slinging their guns around killing niggas.
    Basically I totally dislike the whole genre.

I really dislike this kind of music for the stupidity of the text, aside from the fact that most of those "gangsters" came from normal loving familys attended school as anyone else and didnt hurt anyone anyway. And even if they live the life they sing about i dont understand why i should want to listen to it because of that. I listen to music because it sounds good and not because i give a shit about the life of the guy who sings it.

Dont get me wrong, this isnt meant to be offensive, but there is just such a large amount of people who enjoy listening this kind of music and i just fail to understand why, could any hiphop/rap fan explain me why he likes this?
    I´d just like to see some arguments for it, so i can atleast understand why anyone could like this, even if its nothing for me.
    Last edited by Raegwyn; 2015-01-19 at 02:43 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raegwyn View Post
    Totally agreed. I could never really enjoy listening some random guys rapping about how they came from the ghetto and fucked yo mother slinging their guns around killing niggas.

I really dislike this kind of music for the stupidity of the text, aside from the fact that most of those "gangsters" came from normal loving familys attended school as anyone else and didnt hurt anyone anyway. And even if they live the life they sing about i dont understand why i should want to listen to it. I listen to music because it sounds good and not because i give a shit about the life of the guy who sings it.

There is such a large base of people who enjoy listening this kind of music and i just fail to understand why, could any hophop/rap fan explain me why he likes this?
    There's alot of great suggestions in this thread, listening to George Watsky right now. It's pretty good, no gangster stuff

Back in the day hip-hop is a little better, but even then there were similiar theme - just a little less profanity based.

Deleted
    Krs-One
    Pharoahe Monch
    Common
    Talib Kweli
    Akala (great UK artist)
    Atmosphere
    Brother Ali
    Guru

there's a lot out there, just gotta look

even I recorded something! though amateur quality https://soundcloud.com/haris-pedersen-1

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Uriel View Post
    Well here in Germany we have a couple of bands and singers rapping about other stuff that titts and killing. Mostly they rap about politcal issues, stuff that doesn't seem right, just partying or about love (not the bitch spanking love but the real love)

"Fettes Brot" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHCjFyrIx5E
    the later works of "Sido" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=simn7TQZZ8o
    "Sammy Delux" and "Afrob" aka "ASD" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGf4HeN10Gg

But if you don't understand / like german hiphop how about "None like Joshua"? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTRIBOq0f5Y
    Germans rapping, that rips out my toe nails.... Really....
    Say anyone what they want... But...... Europeans simply cannot rap or hip hop.. Because they completely lack the background culture.
    Barely any white person can do that properly, period. That's also true for Americans. But outside of the US.. The people lack the entire concept of the required cultural influence.
    Every time I hear German rap or hip hop, I wanna run away screaming. It just does not work, not even remotely.

I'm gonna post a clean hip hop song now, that even showcases the differences already

The differences? For once the groove. That groove has also to do with the moves... Sorry, as a white guy, I concede... White people don't have the moves, only black people have them.. And, the ebonics... Which is something exlusive to the US, and there with the black community.
    While the US too has accents and to some degree dialects. Ebonics is unique. Because it does not matter where the person comes from. North, South, West, East..... They're all express themselves with the same ebonics. Even Will Smith can't (doesn't want to) hide it in the song.
    And that ebonics plays a huge role in how melodic the vocals sound.

"The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    Germans rapping, that rips out my toe nails.... Really....
    Say anyone what they want... But...... Europeans simply cannot rap or hip hop.. Because they completely lack the background culture.
    Barely any white person can do that properly, period. That's also true for Americans. But outside of the US.. The people lack the entire concept of the required cultural influence.
    Every time I hear German rap or hip hop, I wanna run away screaming. It just does not work, not even remotely.

I'm gonna post a clean hip hop song now, that even showcases the differences already

The differences? For once the groove. That groove has also to do with the moves... Sorry, as a white guy, I concede... White people don't have the moves, only black people have them.. And, the ebonics... Which is something exlusive to the US, and there with the black community.
    While the US too has accents and to some degree dialects. Ebonics is unique. Because it does not matter where the person comes from. North, South, West, East..... They're all express themselves with the same ebonics. Even Will Smith can't (doesn't want to) hide it in the song.
    And that ebonics plays a huge role in how melodic the vocals sound.

Then you are completely ignorant. I'm from Belgium but our northern neighbours, the Netherlands, have some excellent rappers. Right now it's sort of garbage but a lot of the older rappers were extremely talented. Even more than American/Black rappers in my opinion. I'll give you a link where a rapper spits 202 bars of pure freestyle.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCODmgQixOw

Deleted
    Atmosphere, they have some good stuff.

Doomtree and every artist who's with their group (Cecil Otter, POS, Mike Mictlan, Sims, and Dessa, and then Papertiger or Lazerbeak for instrumental hiphop)
    Sage Francis
    Mac Lethal
    Aesop Rock
    Hilltop Hoods
    Atmosphere
    Kristoff Krane
    Astronautalis
    Sadistik
    Cunninlynguists
    Non-Prophets
    Living Legends
    The Chicharones
    Sleep
    Gang Starr - Moment of Truth is pretty damn good
    Murs
    Danger Mouse and Gemini
    Common Market
    Soulcrate Music
    Last edited by grandpab; 2015-01-19 at 05:21 PM.