Deleted

Best specs for different bosses in Highmaul

Hi,

My mage is currently at ilvl 653, and i started trying out arcane, and really liked it. I was just wondering what specs should work best for different bosses?
    It does depend on if you have a set role for the fight obviously, but just in general. Since arcane does more damage with less mobility i was thinking arcane on butcher for example, and frost on korgath. Is this correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Lowmoe View Post
    Hi,

My mage is currently at ilvl 653, and i started trying out arcane, and really liked it. I was just wondering what specs should work best for different bosses?
    It does depend on if you have a set role for the fight obviously, but just in general. Since arcane does more damage with less mobility i was thinking arcane on butcher for example, and frost on korgath. Is this correct?
    Hi Lowmoe, realistically speaking Arcane can be played on any of these fights. I play arcane full time in Highmaul 7/7H 1/7M currently.

Logs: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...a7cxHD#boss=-2

For heavy movement fights I use Incanters Flow and Arcane Orb.
    For Butcher / Kargath (heroic, not Mythic) I use Rune of Power and Prismatic Crystal

Honestly, I feel like Rune of Power is the only talent that cannot be used effectively in all fights. Everything else can be used as you see fit.

I would not advise spec swapping solely based on movement (yet) as with smart use of ice floes, blink, and generally positioning yourself properly you can still do very solid damage with Arcane.

Deleted
    Kargath: Arcane
    Butcher: Arcane
    Brackenspore: Arcane
    Tectus: Fire
    Twins: Frost or Fire (most likely fire since arcane/fire dual specc)
    Ko'ragh: Arcane
    Twins: fire/arcane

6/7 Mythic here, played Frost all the way, here have some logs while we're at it : https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...zwh6yn#fight=1
    Do note that it was my first time going into Butcher and Tectus, so didn't do all that good there

Deleted
    Kargath: Arcane > frost > fire
    Butcher: Arcane > frost > fire
    Brackenspore: Arcane > frost > fire
    Tectus: Fire > frost > arcane
    Twins: Fire = Frost > Arcane
    Ko'ragh: Arcane > frost > fire
    Imperator: Frost > Arcane > fire

At your ilvl, unless your gear is Mastery stacked somewhat then frost will do more DPS on single target as well, so switch frost and arcane on the single target fights if that's the case.

I think you should play frost this ilvl. Maybe 660+ or more mastery stat > than arcane. Have you ever try frost?
    // Do not go gentle into that good night. Old age should burn and rave at close of day. Rage, rage against the dying of the light. //
    Armory

You can play arcane on anything you want except for Tectus on Mythic. Wouldn't really advise arcane on twins either if you're trying to maximize your damage but the boss is easy so really its whatever there. This more or less holds true for heroic/normal too

Quote Originally Posted by Sproik View Post
    Kargath: Arcane > frost > fire
    Butcher: Arcane > frost > fire
    Brackenspore: Arcane > frost > fire
    Tectus: Fire > frost > arcane
    Twins: Fire = Frost > Arcane
    Ko'ragh: Arcane > frost > fire
    Imperator: Frost > Arcane > fire

At your ilvl, unless your gear is Mastery stacked somewhat then frost will do more DPS on single target as well, so switch frost and arcane on the single target fights if that's the case.
    If you're on add duty @ imperator, fire is by far the best spec. 38k this week with 672ilvl.

The Patient Mountain Called Monkey's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sephrie View Post
    If you're on add duty @ imperator, fire is by far the best spec. 38k this week with 672ilvl.
    You really shouldn't be on add duty though. There are classes that fulfill that job more efficiently than a Fire Mage or Mage in general, so it is not the optimal spec. Maybe for Mythic but even then, the single target is a little lacking. A lot of the scenarios in the Imp fight demand single target burst which Frost and Arcane are far superior at than Fire.

I personally believe that Arcane is the better spec for Imp from a pure damage stand point. While it's cleave is weak, the pure single target burst is not something to ignore. However it's just an opinion and all three specs are viable for every fight in Highmaul (With Fire for Butcher and Arcane for Tectus being tedious in nature)
    There were no screams, there was no time
    The mountain called Monkey had spoken
    It was only fire and then, nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Called Monkey View Post
    You really shouldn't be on add duty though. There are classes that fulfill that job more efficiently than a Fire Mage or Mage in general, so it is not the optimal spec. Maybe for Mythic but even then, the single target is a little lacking. A lot of the scenarios in the Imp fight demand single target burst which Frost and Arcane are far superior at than Fire.

I personally believe that Arcane is the better spec for Imp from a pure damage stand point. While it's cleave is weak, the pure single target burst is not something to ignore. However it's just an opinion and all three specs are viable for every fight in Highmaul (With Fire for Butcher and Arcane for Tectus being tedious in nature)
    It's not that bad actually for Imperator, the multiple LB explosions help to catch up on the boss itself and killing the multiple adds while doing your single target rotation is a win-win situation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Photek View Post
    It's not that bad actually for Imperator, the multiple LB explosions help to catch up on the boss itself and killing the multiple adds while doing your single target rotation is a win-win situation.
    It's not bad, but it's not ideal. Yes if a raid has problems with add damage, then fire is the best choice. However other classes will preform better and are more versatile than fire

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Called Monkey View Post
    It's not bad, but it's not ideal. Yes if a raid has problems with add damage, then fire is the best choice. However other classes will preform better and are more versatile than fire
    Talking about Mythic here. Just checked a few logs and from personal experience, Fire performs very good on dealing damage to Imperator or Cho'gall thanks to the insane amount of adds that spawn and Living Bomb explosions.
    Last edited by Photek; 2015-01-22 at 02:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Photek View Post
    Talking about Mythic here. Just checked a few logs and from personal experience, Fire performs very good on dealing damage to Imperator or Cho'gall thanks to the insane amount of adds that spawn and Living Bomb explosions.
    I'd say the only thing you can really complain about with fire on mythic imp is that the warmage/aberration damage is lower than your other specs could push. Those are both fairly important to the boss so its easy to argue fire wouldn't be the optimal progression spec depending on how your raid's damage is allocated

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Turkey One View Post
    I'd say the only thing you can really complain about with fire on mythic imp is that the warmage/aberration damage is lower than your other specs could push. Those are both fairly important to the boss so its easy to argue fire wouldn't be the optimal progression spec depending on how your raid's damage is allocated
    Exactly my point, thank you. At that point it really comes up to raid composition, and ideally you want the best cleave/single target class on the warmages, reavers, aberrations and Imp while having the best AoE class on the large add groups. There are better AoE classes than Fire but Arcane has the highest single target damage. So theoretically Arcane is the better spec.

That doesn't mean Fire is bad for Imp; in fact it does very well the entire fight. But in optimal scenarios with the best raid comp for the fight, Arcane seems better in my eyes.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sephrie View Post
    fire for padding or if you don't have enough aoe for the last phase, but there are better clases to focus on adds - mage is there for single target dmg

Quote Originally Posted by Quetesh View Post
    fire for padding or if you don't have enough aoe for the last phase, but there are better clases to focus on adds - mage is there for single target dmg
    Well to be honest, the only 2 times DPS is actually important during imperator (normal/hc) fight are transitions and last phase. Considering the amount of living bomb explosions from adds, fire is easily the best ST (AND AoE) spec for the latter.

Mythic is whole another story, there are tons of adds during the whole fight and it makes fire even better.