Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gobra View Post
    Edit: Well, I went out, I ended up getting the 5450, As I only needed one that was better than the secondary spare I put in, And got home, and of course, That one doesn't work either, I made the moronic mistake again of not checking power usage, thinking it being a lower end card it wouldn't need more *facepalm* and it needs 450w, I also noticed the Radeons I've had before were AMD, this new one is also Asus, like the other card that wouldn't work, so I'm wondering if there is also some sort of compatibility issue here-.- I think I'm done, I can't keep trying because something will get destroyed if I do
    I don't even...

First of all, after looking at the benchmarks, I can confirm that the 5450 is slower then 4550 (source).

Second of all, the 5450 consumes less power then 4550 (source). So if that 4550 worked fine in your system we can rule out the power supply being the problem. And digging even further in to the problem and what you said in your initial post, no it does not sound like PSU issue. All the cards you've tried consumes very little power while iddle so 250-300 watts should be enough to at least boot in to desktop.

I'd look at that bios update first. There's no different 32bit and 64bit versions of the update, just one which works for both operating systems (it's irrelevant which operating system you have). If it's some software you run inside your OS to update it, 32bit can be ran in 64bit OS (you do this all the time with things like internet explorer and stuff).

And before you buy 3rd card, please post back with budget so we can recommend you something that's actually useful.

One more thing;
    Edit:Tried that, it was set to Auto, and as soon as I restart after selecting PCI, it just goes back to Auto
    You sure you saved the settings before restarting? (usually f10 to save and restart) I'm grasping at straws here though, the auto setting should work.
    Last edited by Ghâzh; 2015-01-23 at 02:00 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Take it back! I'm an ebayer when it comes to graphics cards, never had an issue and always get great prices. I wouldn't touch Maplin with a barge pole when it comes to pc parts, I know there is that security of buying in store but the guys have no clue, hence putting that graphics card in the gamin section :S Take the advice and take it back and get some proper advice here.

Return the card and get a R7 240 instead, much better performance and still uses very little power.
    If you must insist on using a non-sanctioned sitting apparatus, please consider the tensile strength
    of the materials present in the object in question in comparison to your own mass volumetric density.

In other words, stop breaking shit with your fat ass.

10+ Year Old Account
    I remember being in the same boat and having <£60 to spend on cards, its a tough placing to be in, I remember buying a card from currys, it was terrible and I learnt to look around a lot more and not just plump for what these stores have on their shelves.

The Lightbringer GKLeatherCraft's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghâzh View Post
    I don't even...

First of all, after looking at the benchmarks, I can confirm that the 5450 is slower then 4550 (source).

Second of all, the 5450 consumes less power then 4550 (source). So if that 4550 worked fine in your system we can rule out the power supply being the problem. And digging even further in to the problem and what you said in your initial post, no it does not sound like PSU issue. All the cards you've tried consumes very little power while iddle so 250-300 watts should be enough to at least boot in to desktop.

I'd look at that bios update first. There's no different 32bit and 64bit versions of the update, just one which works for both operating systems (it's irrelevant which operating system you have). If it's some software you run inside your OS to update it, 32bit can be ran in 64bit OS (you do this all the time with things like internet explorer and stuff).

And before you buy 3rd card, please post back with budget so we can recommend you something that's actually useful.

One more thing;

You sure you saved the settings before restarting? (usually f10 to save and restart) I'm grasping at straws here though, the auto setting should work.
    When I exited the bios I had the option of exit without saving, and save and reset, I chose the latter, Concerning the Bios update, I went onto Gigabytes website, found my card, Downloaded the last update, (Which included support for newer G-cards) Yet when I tried to initialise the update it says "This version of the file is not compatable with the version of windows you are running, Check your computer information to see if you need a 36 or 64bit version of the program" so I'm not really sure what to do regarding that.

Edit: To add, I realise the 5450 is a slower card, I didn't expect it to be better, I just wanted it to perform better than what I currently have sitting in my PC, My backup backup card, and from what I've read, the 5450 isn't miles behind or anything, so I can live with that, All I do that really requires the power is play WoW, and I don't raid, so that's not really an issue.
    Also to add, I was looking to spend £30 or lower because it was my gf buying the card(being a mutual PC) and I wanted to get a card that would just do what I wanted for now (plan on getting a whole new PC in a few months)
    Last edited by GKLeatherCraft; 2015-01-23 at 04:00 PM.

You can get a R5 230 for right around £30 or so, but it is quite a bit worse(the r7 is a good 50%+ better) than the r7 240 and only ~£4-5 cheaper and is hard to find in stock to boot
    If you must insist on using a non-sanctioned sitting apparatus, please consider the tensile strength
    of the materials present in the object in question in comparison to your own mass volumetric density.

In other words, stop breaking shit with your fat ass.

The Lightbringer GKLeatherCraft's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tielknight View Post
    You can get a R5 230 for right around £30 or so, but it is quite a bit worse(the r7 is a good 50%+ better) than the r7 240 and only ~£4-5 cheaper and is hard to find in stock to boot
    Stupid question, it says the r7 is a PCI 3.0, I have a 2.0 in my PC, Would it work in there?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gobra View Post
    Stupid question, it says the r7 is a PCI 3.0, I have a 2.0 in my PC, Would it work in there?
    Yeah the card is backwards compatible.