Protection Paladin and Challengemodes

Hi i have a question to those people who have completed all the new WoD challenge modes on gold as a tank or know a lot about the current state off them. Exactly how viable is protection as a spec if you are aiming for gold times in challenge modes, and how big is the difference between prot and a more preferred tank spec like blood? And last will the changes in the upcoming patch make prot more viable for challenge modes?

I can't help you with anything exact, but in broad terms paladins are looking worse and worse for CMs - especially after next patch.

Seraphim was our best CM ability and has been nerfed by 25%, along with removing our best damaging glyph and our single target seal (for bosses).

Can't speak to the distance between prot and blood, but its certainly larger now than it was before.

Deleted
    Seraphim + SoR means we do reasonable AoE damage on large pack pulls, unfortunately we bring little in the way of control. AoE grip is incredibly useful for CM's along with AoE stuns, neither of which we can provide.

A reasonable setup would likely be: Prot Pala, Resto Druid, DK, Warlock, Hunter.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't see where are the problems with Prot paladin in CMs. Remember DKs took a huge slap in the face with a 33% nerf to AoE. When I did golds back then, the only thing I missed that a DK has is mass grip when you pull large amounts of caster mobs.

Pull big, pop Holy Avenger+Sera with seal if insight and become a god. You will do more damage than a DK on pulls most likely (with CDs up that is), and you have WAY more single target dps than a dk.

If gold is all you're after then the difference between a Prot Paladin and a Blood DK is marginal at best.
    I did CM gold on both my Pala and my DK and while army and mass grip were nice utilities I was way more durable on my Paladin.
    You don't really need mass grip for most dungeons anyway and as LuisKA mentioned, you can make a lot of big pulls thanks to HA+Sera+Armor Pot+SoI etc.

Deleted
    If you are running a set group for all CMs, then I think that working around the differences between prot pala and blood DK is pretty marginal, assuming your group has the DPS requirements. If you are pugging all of your CMs with randoms, you miss a lot of utility and army that DKs bring that can push you past the pinch points of the instance more easily.

A key difference is that now after the seraphim nerf, you are going to have trouble carrying the DPS. Therefore while pugs may be fine for CM gold with a DK due to the ease of mass grip for AOE DPS and army on difficult pulls, as a paladin you are going to need to be more dependent on interrupts/silences etc and clever positioning to maximise group DPS.

I do agree that I feel extremely solid as a tank in CMs as prot (esp in insight) but with the pug groups I've ran I'm missing on the DPS side, and finding excellent DPSers (unless you are running an insane comp) are not that easy to find. With a DK at least: mass grip + warrior DPS cooldowns is just godly for melting mobs.