Thread: keto diet

Page 1 of 29
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

keto diet

has anyone tried it ? what can you tell about it ? is there any difference in results from a normal 1500 kcal diet with carbs ?

Deleted
    It works very well but you will feel like shit until your body adapts to it, how much weight are you intending to lose?

The idea of the ketone diet is to get your body into a process called Ketosis where you stop burning carbohydrates as fuel and instead turn to the burning of what are known as ketones. This will occur when you bring your carbohydrate levels to around 50 grams per day or lower.

If you cut out the burning of carbs as a fuel source it's left with proteins and fats...

I had a great experience cutting out starch and sugar. I still eat fruit, so it isn't a full keto diet, but (with moderate exercise) I lost 35 pounds over a period of several months.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

You should feel like shit about 3-5 days because low blood sugar.. It's not recommended for people with diabetes.

You could do intervals and zero carbs and intervals again the next morning... On an empty stomach to speed up the ketosis state

Quote Originally Posted by nomorepriest View Post
    You should feel like shit about 3-5 days because low blood sugar.. It's not recommended for people with diabetes.
    Actually, low carb diets are now being recommended as first line treatment for people with type 2 diabetes. In many cases, they enable the patients to stop taking medication.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler

Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    I had a great experience cutting out starch and sugar. I still eat fruit, so it isn't a full keto diet, but (with moderate exercise) I lost 35 pounds over a period of several months.

Depending how much you weigh... 35lbs isn't a lot over 7 months... That's very typically or below average... Well maybe on your own it's good.. Working with a professional most my clients lose about 10-20lbs every 2 months.

Quote Originally Posted by nomorepriest View Post
    Depending how much you weigh... 35lbs isn't a lot over 7 months... That's very typically or below average... Well maybe on your own it's good.. Working with a professional most my clients lose about 10-20lbs every 2 months.
    Several months, not seven.

Actually, low carb diets are now being recommended as first line treatment for people with type 2 diabetes. In many cases, they enable the patients to stop taking medication.
    Low carb eye of the beholder...
    Veggies are carbs
    Keto is achieved in 50g or less in a day.. People who are usually type 2 diabetes usually are consuming mostly carbs and unhealthy fats

- - - Updated - - -

And if you are going to say no.. I'm talking purely macros.. Look at brocoli
    Nutritional value per 100 g (3.5 oz)
    Energy 141 kJ (34 kcal)
    Carbohydrates
    6.64 g
    Sugars 1.7 g
    Dietary fiber 2.6 g
    Fat
    0.37 g
    Protein

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Khatolic View Post
    has anyone tried it ? what can you tell about it ? is there any difference in results from a normal 1500 kcal diet with carbs ?
    I lost weight when I did it, but it makes it very hard to actually go out and do social things with people, since it's rare to find restaurants that have menu items that don't include any carbs at all. You can pretty much eat at barbecue joints.

When it comes down to it, all weight loss is is the answer to (Calories Consumed) - (Calories Expended) is negative.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Khatolic View Post
    I do typically strict keto no refeeds (10-20g carbs) for about 3-4 month every year for health benefits, rest time carb diet since I do pref for my powerlifting.

dig in http://www.reddit.com/r/keto

10+ Year Old Account
    Looked into it, but theirs too much math involved. So I'm sticking with the "eat less, move more" plan.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    Looked into it, but theirs too much math involved. So I'm sticking with the "eat less, move more" plan.
    Thats another fad diet just like this one.

10+ Year Old Account
    I lost a ridiculous amount of weight doing an Atkins burn phase for 2 months. Before anyone says how potentially unhealthy that is, I know, and I was getting blood drawn every two weeks by my doctor, to monitor me. 70lbs in 2 months, all told.

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    When it comes down to it, all weight loss is is the answer to (Calories Consumed) - (Calories Expended) is negative.
    This is really an oversimplification.

First, you need to calculate and include your base metabolic rate for these calculations to be accurate. There's no simple way to do this with a quick weight/height calculator, not accurately; you need some medical testing.

Second, the main reason the ketosis-based diets work is that your metabolism entering ketosis is a natural appetite suppressant. You just feel less hungry. The Atkins system was essentially "eat as much as you want, as long as your carbs/day stays under 25g". Eat as much zero-carb meat and cheese as you like, for instance. While eating 4000 calories of breakfast sausages would pork you out, the reduction in appetite means you generally won't.

That 70lbs in 2 months above was me working at a desk job and not exercising at all (which is why I'm comfortable saying it was diet that did it), and I was eating things like two Sausage McMuffins (minus the muffins) every weekday for breakfast, or lunch would be a Baconator (no bun), side of chili, diet coke, from Wendy's. I wasn't eating "healthy" other than limiting carbs, and I was stuffing myself with all the greasy, fatty, low-carb stuff I wanted. And lost a ton of weight.

My performance is what you'd see in commercials with a little asterisk and tiny text at the bottom saying "results not typical", though. I'm well outside the normal range for this, and I'm not saying you'll see similar rates.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    My performance is what you'd see in commercials with a little asterisk and tiny text at the bottom saying "results not typical", though. I'm well outside the normal range for this, and I'm not saying you'll see similar rates.
    However, numerous randomized controlled studies have shown low carb diets cause more weight loss than low fat diets. Your rate of loss may have been higher than normal, but the fact you lost weight is par for the course.

http://authoritynutrition.com/23-stu...low-fat-diets/

Been doing keto for almost a month now. Not strictly limiting myself besides for a few things to watch for. I feel much more full eating with this diet, plus nothing better than going home, cooking up a burger without the bun or ketchup, tossing some swiss on it, and having it be friendly to the dieting plan.

I've lost about 15lbs so far in less than a month, granted some of that is water weight, but I feel MUCH more energized and switching to this diet has helped with my magnesium and potassium (no salt, best salt substitute ever) intake from the way I cook, both of which help against being exhausted and getting craps. Looking to lose 100lbs this year and be down to a healthy weight.

I try to average about 1,500-1,750 calories, but I watch my fat/protein/carbs more than calories. I limit my fat to 100g (though never really get to that), 80-100g protein a day (pretty much a must watch for my lifestyle currently, don't want to lose muscle and get weak. Much higher if you're working out), and I tend to stay under 25g of carbs daily, which is surprisingly easy to do with GOOD food too, no need to just be eating salads the rest of your life.

I think if you look too much into controlling what you eat, you'll hate ANY diet though. But I love being able to cook up some bacon if I'm getting a food craving and just satisfy my hunger. It does require a lot more cooking to keep up with this diet though, most fast food is loaded. Although, I do know people who go out, get a burger with no ketchup, and throw it all on a salad without the bun, makes it friendly to keto.

All in all, keto I think is the best way to lose weight fast, you have to work out to really keep the weight off if you want to switch from it. There is some concerns to it, like cholesterol, but just STAY FIT, work out even a little bit a day, and you're good to go.

Incidentally I did a dissertation on Keto diets but with adults and children suffering from status epileptics, a form of treatment-resistant epilepsy. Many patients find it incredibly hard to maintain the diet agreed up on with the doctor/nutritionist even having a single portion of carbs will make you fail the diet. Having said that I doubt it's as difficult to maintain and stick to if you're just trying to lose weight compared to suffering from a disease.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    I lost a ridiculous amount of weight doing an Atkins burn phase for 2 months. Before anyone says how potentially unhealthy that is, I know, and I was getting blood drawn every two weeks by my doctor, to monitor me. 70lbs in 2 months, all told.

This is really an oversimplification.

First, you need to calculate and include your base metabolic rate for these calculations to be accurate. There's no simple way to do this with a quick weight/height calculator, not accurately; you need some medical testing.

Second, the main reason the ketosis-based diets work is that your metabolism entering ketosis is a natural appetite suppressant. You just feel less hungry. The Atkins system was essentially "eat as much as you want, as long as your carbs/day stays under 25g". Eat as much zero-carb meat and cheese as you like, for instance. While eating 4000 calories of breakfast sausages would pork you out, the reduction in appetite means you generally won't.

That 70lbs in 2 months above was me working at a desk job and not exercising at all (which is why I'm comfortable saying it was diet that did it), and I was eating things like two Sausage McMuffins (minus the muffins) every weekday for breakfast, or lunch would be a Baconator (no bun), side of chili, diet coke, from Wendy's. I wasn't eating "healthy" other than limiting carbs, and I was stuffing myself with all the greasy, fatty, low-carb stuff I wanted. And lost a ton of weight.

That may all be true, but it doesn't change the basic facts of that formula.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Deleted
    It's dangerous for type 1s, not so much t2.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    That may all be true, but it doesn't change the basic facts of that formula.
    No, but the difference is that artificially restricting calories-in means you're constantly hungry and constantly being pressured by your own body to stop dieting.

With a ketosis-based diet, you don't restrict calories-in, and can satisfy that hunger, but the side effect is a reduced appetite, and thus calories-in gets reduced as a secondary effect.

I've tried caloric restriction diets; they were a hell of a lot harder to stick to. Being able to say "no, I won't have toast, I'll have some pepperoni and cheese instead" is a lot more appealing to many people than saying "I won't have pepperoni and cheese, I'll have some cold carrots instead".