How do you handle SEF?

I recently switched from Enh Shaman to WW monk and I'm doing reasonably well now. The only problem that I'm having is with SEF. I'm using a mouseover macro, but even that seems like a pain to use, especially if I'm trying to put both spirits on a grouped up pack of adds. I often put it on one, then accidentally put it on that one again and then I have to do it all over again.

Do you use a mouseover macro? A target macro for every fight? Also, is there a great addon I should be using? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by triplebeam View Post
    I recently switched from Enh Shaman to WW monk and I'm doing reasonably well now. The only problem that I'm having is with SEF. I'm using a mouseover macro, but even that seems like a pain to use, especially if I'm trying to put both spirits on a grouped up pack of adds. I often put it on one, then accidentally put it on that one again and then I have to do it all over again.

Do you use a mouseover macro? A target macro for every fight? Also, is there a great addon I should be using? Thanks
    Make yourself a weakaura that shows up a nice visible warning if your mouseover target has SEF, then use your existing SEF @ mouseover macro.

Personally I use have that mouseover macro on one of my naga buttons, shift+naga button is a /cancelaura, and for laziness the bottom naga buttons cast it at the various boss unitids so I can do more complex fights without needing to mouseover anything (handy on tect/imperator, where mages, reaver etc are all boss1-5).

The mouseover macro with alert is plenty though, or alternatively there are some hp tracking addons / weakauras out there to help.
    Last edited by rijn dael; 2015-02-04 at 05:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rijn dael View Post
    Make yourself a weakaura that shows up a nice visible warning if your mouseover target has SEF, then use your existing SEF @ mouseover macro. Personally I use have that mouseover macro on one of my naga buttons, shift+naga button is a /cancelaura, and for laziness the bottom 3 naga buttons cast it at boss1-3.

Don't need anything too fancy, although there are some hp tracking addons / weakauras out there.
    That's actually a good idea, care to share your WA you use for that?

15+ Year Old Account
    Where I want to be and where I am are 2 different places
    There is an awesome lightweight mod called 'Storm, Earth and Fire' that is 2 little windows that tells you who your triplet is on. If you accidentally click on the same one your triplet is targeting, a sound will go off and it'll light up. And when the target of your triplet dies, another sound goes off so you are aware.

As for when to use it, simple answer is "WHENEVER POSSIBLE". Buuuuttt....it's a little more complex than that (of course).

Generally I find it helps if you know whether or not the targets will stay alive for enough time to take hits (I use RSK CD's as a guide when judging/testing 2+ uses before they die is what I've become comfortable with). Also, are the targets going to be moving a lot? Doesn't matter in general, but I've noticed that the spirits will stand in place despite the "host" having Floating Butterfly glyph. So there is that to take into consideration.

And yes, the mouseover macro is pretty much required. Makes the spirits "fire and forget" instead of "clunkily fumble around targeting and casting while missing out on dps and killer fire".

Other than that it will really be a matter of you testing it for yourself and figuring out what you are comfortable with.

- - - Updated - - -

Not solicited but seems it needs to be mentioned whenever SEF is involved:
    As for when to use it, simple answer is "WHENEVER POSSIBLE". Buuuuttt....it's a little more complex than that (of course).

Generally I find it helps if you know whether or not the targets will stay alive for enough time to take hits (I use RSK CD's as a guide when judging/testing 2+ uses before they die is what I've become comfortable with). Also, are the targets going to be moving a lot? Doesn't matter in general, but I've noticed that the spirits will stand in place despite the "host" having Floating Butterfly glyph. So there is that to take into consideration.

And yes, the mouseover macro is pretty much required. Makes the spirits "fire and forget" instead of "clunkily fumble around targeting and casting while missing out on dps and killer fire".

Other than that it will really be a matter of you testing it for yourself and figuring out what you are comfortable with.

I find tabbing easier than mouseover. Yes, I may have to hit tab a time or two to switch targets, but when the adds are stacked, its too hard to tell if you're selecting a new mob.

There's an addon I use called Storm Earth and Fire on Curse. It shows the 2 targets you have your doubles assigned to, and if you target the same one, it turns the display for that target red and makes a sound to warn you. I just use this and tab around, click nameplates, or make creative use of focus target etc.

Edit: Looks like someone already suggested this and I hadn't read their entry. Still it's a good addon.

I use a combination of mouseover and cast on target macro for sef:
    Code:
    #showtooltip
    /cast [@mouseover, harm, nomod] Storm, Earth, and Fire; [nomod] Storm, Earth, and Fire
    /cancelaura [mod:shift] Storm, Earth, and Fire
    /targetenemy [@mouseover, noexists, nomod]
    1. Cast @mouseover if it is an enemy/exists, if not cast at target
    2. shift + macro will cancel clones
    3. if no mouseover exists, clone was casted @target => try to find a new enemy (this is like using tab)

I am also interested in an Weakaura which displays if my mouseover already has a clone, I don't get it to work Already using a weakaura to display my current clones (with targets etc, like the sef-addon), but an icon to show if mouseover has none would be great.
    Last edited by Clausi; 2015-02-04 at 04:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Clausi View Post
    I am also interested in an Weakaura which displays if my mouseover already has a clone, I don't get it to work Already using a weakaura to display my current clones (with targets etc, like the sef-addon), but an icon to show if mouseover has none would be great.
    The Storm Earth and Fire addon mentioned in the thread allows this. if you mouseover a target with a clone on it the clone's healthbar in the addon will light up. It's hard to notice at times but it's there.

Nice macro. Will be trying it out for sure.