Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Naughty Dog not making cartoony platformers.

http://www.gamnesia.com/news/naughty...r#.VNK_sZ3F8bi

When asked if the team misses the cartoonish styling of their Crash and Jak era, Josh had to say this on the matter:

"No, I don't, because we've got an amazing team of people making some really expressive performances with our current stable of realistic characters. I mean, animating the stylised stuff is a lot of fun, but the stories that we're trying to tell right now are a little bit more grounded and a little bit more grown up than they were back in the Jak and Daxter days." — Josh Sherr
    And when he was asked if this is because of the members of Naughty Dog simply getting older, Josh said this:

"I think that's part of it. I think that it's also dictated by what the market wants, too. You know, that was a lot of what our decision was bounded by and based on when moving from Jak and Daxter to something more like Uncharted. And it's also what we're interested in, too." — Josh Sherr
    - See more at: http://www.gamnesia.com/news/naughty...r#.VNK_sZ3F8bi
    RIP Crash Bandicoot and Jak and Daxter.

Sony has plenty of teams capable of making good platformers(japan studio, sucker punch, sanzaru), they only have one Naughty Dog capable of making amazing story driven games. It would be a waste for the writers there.

I don't mind. The Last of Us is absolutely amazing and I've heard really good things about the Uncharted series. They seem to be targeting a more mature audience and if their tastes have changed then it's better they focus on making something that they want to make instead of feeling obligated to continue something that doesn't captivate them as much as it used to.

10+ Year Old Account
    A shame- while I grew out of the Crash games after growing up with 1-3+Warped and Racing; I still replay Jak & Dax - Jak 3 + Combat Racing with the significant otter, we're ~70% through 2 for the third time and it's still a blast, great writing, great graphics and pretty solid gameplay.

They not deving Crash or Jak games anymore? I don't like Naughty Dog anymore...

Naughty dogs...

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Joathen View Post
    A shame- while I grew out of the Crash games after growing up with 1-3+Warped and Racing; I still replay Jak & Dax - Jak 3 + Combat Racing with the significant otter, we're ~70% through 2 for the third time and it's still a blast, great writing, great graphics and pretty solid gameplay.
    I need to find myself a significant otter, the insignificant are so easy to find.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    I need to find myself a significant otter, the insignificant are so easy to find.
    I think there is one in the river, otter there to your left.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

Yeah, I think you OTTER do that.

So no more Jak and Daxter games? This sounds very disappointing.

"No, I don't, because we've got an amazing team of people making some really expressive performances with our current stable of realistic characters. I mean, animating the stylised stuff is a lot of fun, but the stories that we're trying to tell right now are a little bit more grounded and a little bit more grown up than they were back in the Jak and Daxter days." — Josh Sherr
    That cop out is why I like Nintendo honestly, and other companies.

Like, you don't need realistic characters to have a "grown up" story.

That being said, at least it's not Sucker Punch.

Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy View Post
    90% of the people who worked on Crash and Jak aren't at naughty dog anymore, so idk why this matters.
    Same thing with people who want Rare to make another Banjo Kazooie.

Skylanders and Lego pretty much have the cartoony platformer market sewn up. It appeals to kids, but the majority of adults will buy the more adult looking games.

Realistic looking graphics and marketing sell games.

Man, if I could find a significant otter that played video games, that would be friggin' awesome. Otters be awesome. Video game playing otter? YES!

My cat and dog would have to get over having an otter living in the house.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    That cop out is why I like Nintendo honestly, and other companies.

Like, you don't need realistic characters to have a "grown up" story.

That being said, at least it's not Sucker Punch.
    Have you played the Last of Us? If you're telling me it would be just as impactful if it was cartoony then you're crazy. You can have a mature story through cartoons, but the stuff like Naughty Dog does? Not really.

Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    Man, if I could find a significant otter that played video games, that would be friggin' awesome. Otters be awesome. Video game playing otter? YES!

My cat and dog would have to get over having an otter living in the house.
    Then you could make a YouTube series about a video game playing otter, and be famous.

I imagine it'd be hard to play games with flippers, though.

This topic is now, apparently, about otters.

Clearly indication that Naughty Dog should make a cartoony platformer game about otters.

Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post

Clearly indication that Naughty Dog should make a cartoony platformer game about otters.
    How about Bash Otter?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post

Or Ottsels.

i always wanted another jak game. felt kind of pissed off that jak 3 left the city in shambles.

Deleted
    I never liked Jak & Dexter. Never saw why it was so good when there were so many better platformers before and after it.