Flame bender kagraz issues

Our guild is having some issues with this boss. As the night went on the amount of damage we were taking from the the period where the dogs were out seemed to go up, so what abilities are the most dangerous in that part?

We try to kite the ranged dog on a side away from other range and melee.

Also the lava blobs coming out of the forge are hard to see with the lava slash + fire chains, especially backed right up to the forge where there's less time to react, are you dealing with the lava blobs in any particular way or just staying aware?

And finally I think our dps is maybe a little low as the rate we were going would result In 4 full rotations of the fight, should it be going faster?

Thanks for taking a look guys.

There shouldn't be a ton of damage going out aside from the aoe pulse at the end of each phase. Ranged should just run into melee for the meteor. We found that a lot easier and more manageable than trying to get all the ranged to clump up.

We didn't use a specific tactic to avoid lava. Melee just need to be aware and not have brain lag.

4 cycles seems a bit too long for the fight. Are you doing normal or heroic? Our guild got 2 sets of dogs, almost a third when the boss died on heroic and it was a raid with half alts and half mains.

Link logs? That will help immensely.

Are you killing the dogs at the same time properly? They aren't staying up when she hits 100 energy correct? Are your Molten Bomb targets running into melee?

Unfortunately I wasn't logging last night. we're doing the fight on normal. We have the ranged drop meteors on melee and that goes perfectly everytime, we kill the dogs a few seconds before firestorm everytime and have never had it overlap. Our healers are asleep up until the dogs come out and then we're so bad at avoiding damage that they were talking about using some secondary cool downs for that part. For our raid size 12-13 melee is overcrowded for us we have 5 melee and only two ranged.

I can't comment on the lava blobs, as I have done the fight only as priest (heals) and mage. I did notice that on our second run, we tanked the boss a little further away from the forge, I can only assume that was to make it easier for melee and tanks to see what was going on. Our first kill (26HC) took 5:49 (2/6/18), and our second (23HC) took 5:46 (2/5/16). Each full cycle is just over 2 minutes, so we did it in just under 3. Both raids were a mix between mains and alts/socials, average ilvl was probably around 678 for the first kill, and 675 for the second. If you are more approriately geared for the fight (ie. worse geared than us), getting it down before the 4th full cycle completes (and thus ignoring dogs the last time) should be np. A long fight only allows for more opportunities to fail. With 2 minutes between each aoe-phase, you should have 2 'sets' of aoe healing/mitigation cooldowns from healers, plus Amplify Magic and Anti-Magic Zone (both 2 minute cooldown). As with most aoe-heavy fights, it greatly favors a bigger raid size (bigger is always better, but more-so when it comes to raidwide healing cooldowns).
    -

Quote Originally Posted by carl812 View Post
    Unfortunately I wasn't logging last night. we're doing the fight on normal. We have the ranged drop meteors on melee and that goes perfectly everytime, we kill the dogs a few seconds before firestorm everytime and have never had it overlap. Our healers are asleep up until the dogs come out and then we're so bad at avoiding damage that they were talking about using some secondary cool downs for that part. For our raid size 12-13 melee is overcrowded for us we have 5 melee and only two ranged.
    Firestorm on normal will do approximately 380k to every single person over a 12 second duration. That's baseline, no damage reductions, nothing. The Magma Monsoon aoes that fall only mean that folks have to be at least 3 yards spread even if they get hit in order to avoid the extra aoe damage. If you aren't able to get through that... well, it's a healing issue. That's all it really is. Bring another healer perhaps?

Or use Skada (or combat logs) to figure out who is taking the most Magma Monsoon damage and drop that person.

As for the damage from the dogs, if damage is getting high, people are likely just running through the fire chain and getting high stacks of the debuff. Your healers can simply dispell anybody that has the higher stacks.
    Last edited by Herecius; 2015-02-06 at 01:57 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by carl812 View Post
    For our raid size 12-13 melee is overcrowded for us we have 5 melee and only two ranged.
    Sounds like you don't have enough dps and too many healers. If you only have half of your raid as dps, then you are likely to struggle. The ratio of melee to ranged is obviously a worry as well, but you know that.

Yea firestorm is more like a breather for us on normal. It's the dog phase just before that burns through mana for us. also it seems like when the dogs switch theres a point where on of the tanks is carrying both the dot and the fire debuff for a few seconds prior to one of them dropping off that causes out tank to take a ton of damage. On like our third attempt everything was smooth through two firestorms and we got her down to 30% before the healers started to go oom then we regressed to the point of not getting below 50% after that.

Deleted
    We ran a 2/6/22 setup.

Fight lasted 6:13. (HC)

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    Your healers can simply dispell anybody that has the higher stacks.
    No, it's not dispellable. It only shows as a magic debuff, it's a bug.

My guild was working on Flamebender Heroic last night for a good 3 hours - with our last pull being pretty damn close(like 17%). We ran a 2/4/10 set up. Anyway, these are the things we adjusted and what worked best for us:

Don't have the ranged kit the little fixate wolf too far away - or else they can't reach it and won't be able to DPS it as evenly. Try to still stay within a good portion of the ranged when you're taking it. Slows really help here - Boomkin can put down mushrooms, and there are tons of ways. The more you slow, the less you actually have to kite, the less you have to move, etc.

Make sure you're ranged is constantly staying at least 7 yards apart from each other to minimize damage.

On Heroic(which is the only mode I've done this in), we had 3 full rotations so far, with maybe getting a last one right before we kill her. I'd say 3-4 is fine but if you're concerned the DPS is lacking, it's gotta be in the part without the wolves. If you're DPS is lacking during wolf phase, you'd be dead due to the Wolf + Firestorm combination. So it really helps you narrow down where it needs to be picked up.

To minimize movement, make sure when your ranged is getting hit by lava slash, they're not just moving somewhere else - all they have to do is take one step back. This will make sure that if they get targeted again, it goes down the exact same path and will minimize the amount of ground covered.

I know you didn't mention Molten Torrent as an issue - but we found it easiest to have the one ranged targeted with it to run into melee. We have 7 melee(including tanks) and 9 ranged(including healers). It was far easier to have the one person run into the group of melee, who really had more health anyway, than try to get all 9 ranged to converge in a safe spot to share the Torrent. During the Wolf phase, make sure the Molten Torrent person is going to the stack of melee on the Overheated Wolf, not the boss(at least that's how it worked out for us, because we just had 1 melee on the boss and all of the rest on the Overheated Wolf).

And finally - make sure everybody is standing in close on a stack point for Firestorm(Flamestorm? Firestorm? Oh I don't remember. The fire tornado thing). AoE heals(coming from a resto druid) are the bomb dot com so it's really the best way to survive this phase. Unless of course you have that shitty debuff which has you pulse AoE fire damage. If that's the case, then stay >=10 yards away from the group(but as close as you can get) and as soon as it drops, run in.

We haven't tried this yet, but sometimes if you're running out of room(we had a shit ton of empowered armaments just everywhere chaotically by the end of the fight), you can try to have your range focus on one half of the room(left side) and kite the wolf to the other half. I think this is the strategy Fatboss used in their Beta guide.

I hope this helps you! Good luck
    Last edited by WoWnicolyo; 2015-02-06 at 03:49 PM.