Thread: dark souls

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Khatolic View Post
    i think i have some claymore, yeah.

about summoning solitaire, before u mean before entering the mist door or after when im on the roof ?
    Did you get the zweihander? If you upgrade that you'll dispose of the gargoyles in a couple hits.

10+ Year Old Account
    im not sure if its zweihander or claymore, if these are different things. will check tomorrow.

some people speak of being a juggernaut, wearing heavy armor and stuff. well, i would enjoy that very much (thats why i picked knight in the first place) but in reality everything is harder, and i even think i actually take some damage when blocking ? is that possible ? maybe i lack some stats ? cuz i have NO clue at all how they work in this game.

i didnt know asian game can be so deep, cuz even the UI layout looks poor like some atari machine where u put in coins

im not sure if its zweihander or claymore, if these are different things. will check tomorrow.

some people speak of being a juggernaut, wearing heavy armor and stuff. well, i would enjoy that very much (thats why i picked knight in the first place) but in reality everything is harder, and i even think i actually take some damage when blocking ? is that possible ? maybe i lack some stats ? cuz i have NO clue at all how they work in this game.

i didnt know asian game can be so deep, cuz even the UI layout looks poor like some atari machine where u put in coins
    Being a tanky build is very gear and stat intensive. You absolutely can take damage when you block; as blocking depends on your shield's stats. Shields block a percentage of damage taken. Larger shields generally block 100% of physical damage, while smaller shields block a higher percentage of other types of damage such as magic or fire.

I do believe in the menu you can get descriptions of what the stats do.

Stability is arguably the most important shield stat. Stability controls how much stamina is lost when you block an attack. Higher stability is better. Stability is the main stat that increases when you upgrade a shield.

Poise is your character's resistance to being knocked down and stunned when hit. Higher poise is better. Think of poise like an invisible meter. It starts off empty, but when you get hit, some of the meter fills up. When the meter gets full, you get stunned for a moment, or knocked down in the case of some attacks. Different weapons and enemy attacks inflict different amounts of poise damage, I don't believe poise damage is a stat the player can see. Some attacks do very little poise damage, and will take an eternity to stagger a heavy armor wearer. Other attacks inflict such a massive amount that you will be knocked down no matter what gear you have. After a short time, the invisible poise meter starts to decay. I don't recall how long this takes in DS1, if I recall, in DS2 it's like 15 seconds.

One thing to keep in mind is that the Endurance stat increases carrying capacity. This is important because rolling/moving is based on the percentage of the weight of your equipped gear. If a character with low endurance were to wear the heaviest armor in the game, they'd barely be able to move. However, if you put a lot of points into endurance, you can get a very comfortable speed even in heavy armor. There's also rings that increase carrying capacity, but I won't spoil where they are. If you really want to know you will just google it anyways.

And let me just say, heavy armor is worth it. Dodging is of course better, but you can still make a tanky playstyle effective, and it's a load of fun. Armor does mitigate a significant amount of damage. One time I went back to Undead Burg with a late game tanky character, and I just let the mobs there beat on me for a bit. It was quite hilarious, as I had to strain to see my health move.

I guess what I'm trying to say is play how you want, because you can make just about any playstyle effective if you work at it. If you have questions about what individual stats do, I would suggest going to the wiki, as you'll get a no nonsense answer instantly that will always be there for you to reference.

im at the level before bell gargoyle. i play as the knight, but rolling and dodging attacks is a nightmare. its way too slow. any tips ?

also how to kill the gargoyle ?
    What I am about to say is not a joke.

Buy the club and upgrade it as much as you can. Then 2h the club and leap attack the first gargoyle until its dead repeat on the 2nd. Thats how I killed it also make sure to ware light and if need be go human and get the helper NPC near by. With the damage the club will do you should be able to kill the first Gargoyle before the 2nd one becomes a problem.

I used the club until I got the Black Knight sword.

I was medium/light armor most of the game until I got the Havel gear and just tank and spanked everything.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

10+ Year Old Account
    ive met like 2 or 3 black knights (i think thats how theyre called) so far, and they are supposed to be unbeatable, right ?

ive met like 2 or 3 black knights (i think thats how theyre called) so far, and they are supposed to be unbeatable, right ?
    No they can just be a pain to kill. Higher humanity you have higher drop chance on items as well. If u got 5 humanity and you kill one they can drop the Black Knight sword.

But dont focus on that its just helpful.
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2015-02-08 at 05:34 PM.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not at all but if you struggle with them just leave em alone and come back once you gained more gear and levels.

It's really a matter of experience and/or levels. They're meant to be hard as hell for new players, but not invincible. They have a lot of HP, defense and poise, so hurting them significantly and punishing their slow attacks can be hard for newer players. They do enough damage that they will 1-3 shot most early game characters.

If you're patient and skilled, you can simply outfight them like any normal enemy. They can also be beaten with parrying or backstabbing cheese.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    No they can just be a pain to kill. Higher humanity you have higher drop chance on items as well. If u got 5 humanity and you kill one they can drop the Black Knight sword.

But dont focus on that its just helpful.
    Honestly, black knight sword is so good that it actually makes the game piss easy until after anor londo.

Quote Originally Posted by David Coppershield View Post
    Honestly, black knight sword is so good that it actually makes the game piss easy until after anor londo.
    On NG I used it all game once I got one. Only a handful times did I switch to a different weapon if at all.

Havel with BKS and a shield = walking tank lol.

Oh, one thing I forgot to mention earlier to the OP. Get a bow. Being a tanky melee is fun 99% of the time, but sometimes, you just need to kill a fucker from far away. Having the option to be ranged, even if you do piss for damage, can sometimes be important.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurcus View Post
    Oh, one thing I forgot to mention earlier to the OP. Get a bow. Being a tanky melee is fun 99% of the time, but sometimes, you just need to kill a fucker from far away. Having the option to be ranged, even if you do piss for damage, can sometimes be important.
    Yep and is kinda a requirement for Bed of Chaos.

I had to do BoC as melee and it fucken sucked but good thing the fight had checkpoints.
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2015-02-08 at 07:18 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Laurcus View Post
    I personally find it more fun to get the heaviest armor and shield possible, turning myself into a wall of fuck you. Dodging is superior though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    Becoming a wall of absolute retardation and immobility has always been my goto for Dark Souls. In 2, I used all heavy armor, a greatshield, and a greatsword. I didn't give a fuck, I just like being a juggernaut, even if I'm making it needlessly difficult on myself.
    Same. It's certainly satisfying playing light mobile dex or int/fth builds but I still have far more fun in PvP as heavy str, hilarious going into PvP against dex using Ironclad back and Orma & Reeve's shields. One shotting people with dual greatsword heavy attacks when they make a mistake is humorous too.

Learning to dodge well is mandatory above all else but it doesn't mean other styles aren't fun.
    Her hall is called Eljudnir,
    her dish is Hunger,
    her knife is Famine,
    her slave is Lazy,
    and Slothful is her woman servant.

Deleted
    On NG I used it all game once I got one. Only a handful times did I switch to a different weapon if at all.

Havel with BKS and a shield = walking tank lol.
    I'd say it almost ruins the game.

Quote Originally Posted by David Coppershield View Post
    I'd say it almost ruins the game.
    I personally enjoyed it and don't see how it ruins it.

In truth what got me back into DS1 was DS2 and the drake sword originally. But when I finally did my playthough of DS1 I didn't get it. Seen a lot of streamers use the club so I grabbed that.
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2015-02-08 at 09:03 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yep and is kinda a requirement for Bed of Chaos.

I had to do BoC as melee and it fucken sucked but good thing the fight had checkpoints.
    BoC isnt that hard once you get around 60 poise and fastrolls :P
    Cod has a new campaign, new weapons, new multiplayer levels every year. Zelda has been recycling the same weapons, villains, and dungeons since the 80's. Zelda recycles enough to make cod blush. The same weapons, villains, dungeons, and princess in every single Zelda for the most part. It's almost as cheesy as bowser vs Mario round 35

Quote Originally Posted by barackopala View Post
    BoC isnt that hard once you get around 60 poise and fastrolls :P
    BoC isn't hard at all. Like the anti hard boss, considering it saves your progress. If you actually had to kill both in one go and jump down into the tree, then maybe it would be a mildly hard boss...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    BoC isn't hard at all. Like the anti hard boss, considering it saves your progress. If you actually had to kill both in one go and jump down into the tree, then maybe it would be a mildly hard boss...
    That's the scrublord way.
    Cod has a new campaign, new weapons, new multiplayer levels every year. Zelda has been recycling the same weapons, villains, and dungeons since the 80's. Zelda recycles enough to make cod blush. The same weapons, villains, dungeons, and princess in every single Zelda for the most part. It's almost as cheesy as bowser vs Mario round 35

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Get the gold pine resin and you will kill them in a few hits. It's a buff that adds lightning damage for a short duration.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skytip View Post
    Get the gold pine resin and you will kill them in a few hits. It's a buff that adds lightning damage for a short duration.
    Yeah its funny how the game does give you the tools to take down each boss and or tackle down the area by the items that are given to you in that zone (like the spider shield, idea vs toxin, or the ceasless items, or anor londo's blacksmith)