Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Good morning all! I'm still putting together a build of sorts from the suggestions you guys have been giving and I've pretty much got everything except for a PSU. I'll be posting it here shortly once I'm completely finished. Added in a couple monitors that I think are a great deal. I also went with the EVGA GTX 970 4GB GDDR5 for the GPU.

- - - Updated - - -

[PCPartPicker part list](http://pcpartpicker.com/p/QPmRyc) / [Price breakdown by merchant](http://pcpartpicker.com/p/QPmRyc/by_merchant/)

Type|Item|Price
    :----|:----|:----
    **CPU** | [Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/intel-cpu-bx80646i74790k) | $279.99 @ Micro Center
    **CPU Cooler** | [Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/cooler-master-cpu-cooler-rr212e20pkr2) | $29.99 @ Newegg
    **Motherboard** | [Asus Z97-A ATX LGA1150 Motherboard](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-motherboard-z97a) | $144.99 @ Amazon
    **Memory** | [G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gskill-memory-f31600c9d16gxm) | $134.99 @ Newegg
    **Storage** | [Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/crucial-internal-hard-drive-ct256mx100ssd1) | $99.99 @ Micro Center
    **Video Card** | [EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 Video Card](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-video-card-04gp42974kr) | $342.39 @ Amazon
    **Case** | [Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/cooler-master-case-rc912kkn1) | $42.99 @ Micro Center
    **Optical Drive** | [Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-optical-drive-drw24b1stblkbas) | $18.79 @ OutletPC
    **Operating System** | [Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit)](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/microsoft-os-gfc02050) | $88.98 @ OutletPC
    **Monitor** | [Asus VS228H-P 21.5" Monitor](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-monitor-vs228hp) | $129.99 @ Amazon
    **Monitor** | [Asus VS228H-P 21.5" Monitor](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-monitor-vs228hp) | $129.99 @ Amazon
    | *Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts* |
    | Total (before mail-in rebates) | $1473.08
    | Mail-in rebates | -$30.00
    | **Total** | **$1443.08**
    | Generated by [PCPartPicker](http://pcpartpicker.com) 2015-02-12 11:21 EST-0500 |

Left out the PSU and I'll need a WiFi card. Any comments, suggetions, etc are appreciated!

I am not sure what the difference is between the CX and TX series, but I am running a 650W TX that I have had in my system for about 5 years now and it still runs fine. I know sometimes companies source different series through different vendors though so that may not be a great comparison. I just helped a friend of mine build a computer though and we used the CX430 in it. It's only been up and running for about a month though, so no real feedback on it other than it works fine so far. As I just upgraded my PCs and am also using a CX430 in conjunction with some of my old parts to put together something to hook up to the TV and for my daughter to use.

Not sure if my last post went through. Here's what I have so far.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($279.99 @ Micro Center)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: Asus Z97-A ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($144.99 @ Amazon)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($134.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($99.99 @ Micro Center)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 Video Card ($342.39 @ Amazon)
    Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case ($42.99 @ Micro Center)
    Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($18.79 @ OutletPC)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($88.98 @ OutletPC)
    Monitor: Asus VS228H-P 21.5" Monitor ($129.99 @ Amazon)
    Total: $1443.08
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-02-12 11:55 EST-0500

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Raphtheone View Post
    From the summary of the review you linked:

The PSU goes ahead and scores 10/10 on Functionality and Value, and 9/10 on Performance, with a final score of 9/10. How do you translate a 9/10 great value PSU as "bad"?

The reason I asked for a source is because I'm the go-to guy in my friend circle (and their friend circles, frankly) when it comes to building computers. In the past 4 builds since the summer I've opted for the CX430, including my brother's latest build (family = important to get it right!), just because of its great value, ability to feed a single GPU setups without breaking a sweat, silence and reliability. I always get in touch and ask for feedback, to make sure I got it right. If they have any type of problem with their computers, I'm the first one they notify. Theoretically anyway, as they haven't yet (not counting that one time a friend of a friend insisted he'd build it himself, bought 1x4Gb RAM instead of 2x and complained that the computer was slow when doing lots of stuff on it).

When you said the PSU is bad I thought I had missed something big (as frankly, it's an excellent PSU). Sidenote: I only suggested the CX500 due to its lower price, so I'm totally fine with a review on the CX430. Sidenote2: I don't have a CX-series PSU myself as I'm partial to the Fractal Design PSU's, but the CX series are much better in terms of value.

Regarding the SSD, MX100 is better, yes, but also more expensive. The only drawback of the LS is the drop in write speed. As you get an SSD for its awesome read speed, it doesn't really matter if it takes 3 minutes or 4 minutes to install a steam game, once. This is assuming you're sitting on a terabit line, as you can't install something faster than you can download it anyway. Also, age isn't a disfavor on the SSD market, it's a favor. It means it's proven technology and any kinks that a drive might have has been found out. It's the new ones you should be wary about (at least open to the possibility it might have issues with firmware, etc). You don't have these issues with proven technology.

Just my opinions, take them for what they are.
    The short version for why people are...wary...of the CX series is that there doesn't seem to be anywhere near the QC of Corsairs higher-end products, and the PSU is one of the key weak points for a system. The CX series is considerably weaker, overall, than the XFX Core series or even the EVGA B series PSUs for QC. IMO, it's not worth the price drop to ignore the other budget PSUs from known quality PSU-OEMs like Seasonic.

This is what I have so far. What do you guys think? I still need a PSU though so I'm wondering what would be good to start with.

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($134.99 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 Video Card ($342.39 @ Amazon)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($88.98 @ OutletPC)

I tried posting a build that I've come up with but it says that a mod has to approve it before it's visible

I'm going with the ASUS Z97-A LGA 1150 Intel Z97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard but PC PartPicker says that since it has a USB 3.0 header that the CoolerMaster HAF 912 won't be useful for that since it doesn't have USB 3.0 front ports. I would go with the Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case with Upgraded USB 3.0 but it's also around $60-$70 more into the budget.

What do you guys think?

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Micro Center)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($30.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z97 Anniversary ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($86.98 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($60.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($50.99 @ NCIX US)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda ES 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($44.00 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB SSC ACX 2.0 Video Card ($339.99 @ Amazon)
    Case: BitFenix Neos Black/Blue ATX Mid Tower Case ($33.99 @ NCIX US)
    Power Supply: XFX TS 550W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply ($64.99 @ Amazon)
    Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD/CD Writer ($14.98 @ OutletPC)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit) ($92.00 @ B&H)
    Monitor: LG 22M35D 60Hz 22.0" Monitor ($87.99 @ NCIX US)
    Monitor: LG 22M35D 60Hz 22.0" Monitor ($87.99 @ NCIX US)
    Keyboard: Cooler Master CM Storm Quick Fire TK Wired Gaming Keyboard ($79.98 @ OutletPC)
    Total: $1275.85
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-02-12 20:18 EST-0500
    My PC Build 4790k @ 4.7 GHz @ 1.28v; 1080 @ +175 core, +500 memory

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkbaitgaming View Post
    This is what I have so far. What do you guys think? I still need a PSU though so I'm wondering what would be good to start with.

I see nothing wrong with the build, but noted a few things:
    0) You're over budget, but I'm assuming you're okay with that.
    1) You won't need an i7 for gaming, but if you intend to do a lot of rendering and editing, it's worth considering.
    2) No HDD. I'm assuming you'll pick these up as you go along, which is a perfectly fine approach.
    3) Are you sure you want W7? There is (was?) a big debate on the whole W7 vs W8 thing, make sure you pick the one you like for the right reasons.
    4) I'm unsure of the amount of fans that is included with the case, consider having one front intake, one rear exhaust, and one intake on the side panel for the GPU, for optimal effect. If you go 2x fan, one front intake and one read exhaust. Due to the size of the chassis the air sucked in will "die off" well before the grasp range of the exhaust, that's where the side fan comes in, to help make an even enough flow throughout the chassi. You experience heavy diminishing returns above 3x fans.
    5) In the benchmarks I've seen, Gigabyte has the strongest and most silent fans. Specifically for the 970, here are some thermal images on EVGA vs Gigabyte. On the same page you'll also see it runs quieter. EVGA's problem might be misalignment? ASUS is a strong runners up, and MSI offers solid cooling too, generally speaking silent, but since the fan setup is smaller, it won't cool as much as the Gigabyte, and has a "whinier" sound at high RPM's. Given the clear winners depending on what you want, I've never really seen the point with EVGA, but that's just my opinion. Not saying it's a bad brand though, it's not, just that there are better alternatives.

10+ Year Old Account
    The alignment issue was for EVGA's ACX version 1.
    A bigger fan is more preferable in terms of noise/silent builds. You can get the same amount of air flow at lower RPM with a bigger fan than you can with a smaller fan.
    Gigabyte's fan is a bit smaller than ASUS's and MSI's is just bigger than both. Of course you're not going to be able to fit a gigantic cpu cooler fan onto it. Gigabyte having 3 fan also adds an additional noise though it adds more airflow. Also what benchmark are you looking at that says Gigabyte has the most silent? All the ones I've seen are MSI and ASUS.

Deleted
    Deal is at low temps or idle msi and asus are quiet but just a tiny bit. On max load tho things change making gigabyte making less noise. Anyway between those 3 at least we are talking 2-3db difference so no biggy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just going off by this cause they have it all listed at once.

http://techreport.com/review/27203/g...sus-reviewed/5

Deleted
    There is no gigabyte gtx970 G1 in there only the 980 version?

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    Just going off by this cause they have it all listed at once.

http://techreport.com/review/27203/g...sus-reviewed/5
    That chart does show the Gigabyte 980 as the quietest under load.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kostattoo View Post
    There is no gigabyte gtx970 G1 in there only the 980 version?
    And yeah, thought it was the 970. Misread, but the cooler isn't different. Not sure how the temperature difference potentially would be between the 970 and 980. It's amusingly hard finding a site that reviews all 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    That chart does show the Gigabyte 980 as the quietest under load.
    Shows as the lowest temperature underload.

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    The alignment issue was for EVGA's ACX version 1.
    A bigger fan is more preferable in terms of noise/silent builds. You can get the same amount of air flow at lower RPM with a bigger fan than you can with a smaller fan.
    Gigabyte's fan is a bit smaller than ASUS's and MSI's is just bigger than both. Of course you're not going to be able to fit a gigantic cpu cooler fan onto it. Gigabyte having 3 fan also adds an additional noise though it adds more airflow. Also what benchmark are you looking at that says Gigabyte has the most silent? All the ones I've seen are MSI and ASUS.
    Last time I saw MSI pull ahead was way back in the Nvidia 500-series. Granted, it's not like I'm reading them all so I could definitely have missed a few big ones. I think the biggest factors are what type of cards one looks at, and the environment one puts it in. I think one set of fans will pull ahead on one type of card in one enclosure and another fan on another card, in another enclosure. Board layout, TDP, chipsets/memory placement, etc, all should contribute in various ways.

Generally, my impression is that Gigabyte has highest cooling potential without sacrificing sound (notably?), allowing for lower temps at same sound pressure level.

First results I found: MSI vs Gigabyte (970) - Same sound pressure, temps are 68 vs 60 during load.
    MSI vs EVGA vs Gigabyte (770) - Same temps, difference in sound pressure.
    ASUS vs Gigabyte (680) - Virtually no difference in temps vs sound pressure, +-1 point here and there.

Lots of guru3d I noticed, not intentionally, but I had a hard time finding comparable sources when doing express googling. I know they're pretty commonplace, the showdowns that come out every generation for every enthusiast grade GPU on major reviewing sites. Just had issues finding them through google.

Deal is at low temps or idle msi and asus are quiet but just a tiny bit. On max load tho things change making gigabyte making less noise. Anyway between those 3 at least we are talking 2-3db difference so no biggy.
    This is my (subjective) experience as well, MSI is more silent at lower speeds. There aren't any huge differences in absolute measurements (temps, dbA), they're all solid contenders, but they do have different type of sounds. I've found Gigabyte fans to be easier on the ear than MSI's, at high RPM. I do have some experience with ASUS, and they're rock solid. And MSI was a favorite of mine for many years, and for a good reason.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raphtheone View Post
    Lots of guru3d I noticed, not intentionally, but I had a hard time finding comparable sources when doing express googling. I know they're pretty commonplace, the showdowns that come out every generation for every enthusiast grade GPU on major reviewing sites. Just had issues finding them through google.
    You're not the only one.

I use a GB 770 and it's great, but I don't have something else to use as subjective comparison, but I won't compare the 770 and below with 970/980s because some of the coolers changed. ASUS no longer uses DirectCUII and MSI has a passive gaming 4G cooler now.
    Then again personally I just make a custom fan curve so it's like... always quiet, or my HDD can be louder than it regardless.

Shoot, I misread that, I thought top was idle and lower was load, lol.

I'm probably just going to stick with the EVGA 970 that I linked and go with the Antec Nine Hundred ATX Mid Tower Case since it'll provide the front usb 3.0 that the Asus z97-A Mobo will can utilize. Yes, it will up my budget but I'm willing to pay to create a beautiful creation as it'll be my first

Deleted
    You're getting a 970, at least get a 23.4-24" good monitors , not 21.5" >< What good is the gpu if you can't have the display to actually see the difference. Or even better buy 1 above average monitor than 2 lousy ones and get another later.

If i was buying a 970 today i would either get 1080p@120/144MHz or 1440p@60hz.
    Last edited by mmoc73263b3bd5; 2015-02-13 at 11:14 PM.

You're getting a 970, at least get a 23.4-24" good monitors , not 21.5" >< What good is the gpu if you can't have the display to actually see the difference. Or even better buy 1 above average monitor than 2 lousy ones and get another later.

If i was buying a 970 today i would either get 1080p@120/144MHz or 1440p@60hz.
    Got a recommendation on a 23"+ monitor? I planned on getting the 970 to utilize for the graphics. If I try getting higher monitors it's going to increase my budget by a ton. What's wrong with the 21.5"s?

Also remember this is a full build from the start so I'm not spending money on upgrades.