Thread: Dot Weaving

Dot Weaving

An idea just crossed my mind. Does anyone use a cast sequence macro for dot weaving? I know that haste buffs (bloodlust/shards trinket) will change it slightly, but for the rest of the time, is there any reason you couldn't do this?

Quote Originally Posted by djriff View Post
    An idea just crossed my mind. Does anyone use a cast sequence macro for dot weaving? I know that haste buffs (bloodlust/shards trinket) will change it slightly, but for the rest of the time, is there any reason you couldn't do this?
    I'm not a cast sequence expert, but:

The weave is never static. The GCD's between MB's can be different. Mostly its MS, MS, MS, but often there is a PW:S, halo, fiend, and sometimess you forgo one for movement. Cast sequence would add delays to MB. Also, sometimes you start the fight with 5 orbs, sometimes 0 etc.

Might be worth it for target dummy dps checks....

Quote Originally Posted by itchy View Post
    I'm not a cast sequence expert, but:

The weave is never static. The GCD's between MB's can be different. Mostly its MS, MS, MS, but often there is a PW:S, halo, fiend, and sometimess you forgo one for movement. Cast sequence would add delays to MB. Also, sometimes you start the fight with 5 orbs, sometimes 0 etc.

Might be worth it for target dummy dps checks....
    True I can understand that on the pull. The 4pc will change things slightly as the 2pc already does. I'm more talking about the situation you find yourself in at 4 orbs. Granted you would have to customize it to fit your haste level and knowing how to do it manually wouldn't hurt, but it would take the human error of misclicking out of the equation. You could easily add in the filler to and call a macro that casts Shadow Fiend, Halo, and PW:S and whichever one is up at that time would be cast. I'll experiment with it a little bit tonight.

As for GCD's for MB. There is no reason you can't click the macro again to cast MB in the middle of MF:I Is there?

Quote Originally Posted by djriff View Post
    is there any reason you couldn't do this?
    Spamming one button would make playing the game rather pointless. Also, it would fail the moment you had to move and lose a spike or insanity cast, so it would pretty much only "work" for a 100% patchwerk fight. That said, I feel dirty just by even discussing cast sequence macros.

I'm not saying everyone should do it. I was just wondering if it was even viable. Shadow is a pretty boring rotation regardless.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dierdre View Post
    Spamming one button would make playing the game rather pointless. Also, it would fail the moment you had to move and lose a spike or insanity cast, so it would pretty much only "work" for a 100% patchwerk fight. That said, I feel dirty just by even discussing cast sequence macros.
    Yeah, honestly, why would you want it. The default single target, no movement rotation is very simple anyway, why you'd want a cast sequence macro to simplify it even further is beyond me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dierdre View Post
    Tried it once just for giggles back in cata i think.
    Never ever again. A it felt really boring and B when you have to move slightly it will screw up your whole rotation and basically dump you on the bottom of the meters.

Quote Originally Posted by ThrashMetalFtw View Post
    The pre-WotLK Mind Flay animation. 2nd biggest reason for rolling a Priest, biggest obviously being Shadowform. Anyone who uses Glyph of Shadow should reroll Hunter, filthy blasphemers.

I ******** hate dotweaving, especially on cast and move fights which is pretty much most fights because it throws your timing off, such a stupid niche we have to do to do competitive DPS. I have been playing a priest since beta, maybe ill move to druid or mage at least I have more dps options, if one spec sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Succath View Post
    when you have to move slightly it will screw up your whole rotation and basically dump you on the bottom of the meters.
    Like this is any different than where we are now?

the problem with castsequence is that it lags. it doesnt use the abilities as fast as a person can pressing the buttons. not to mention the rotation is not static.