Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

netflix or hulu?

which would be a better fit for me? i just want to watch older tv shows and episodes via streaming. i know they are both 8$ a month but netflix seems like it is more of a video rental than actual streaming. however hulu plus doesn't have an option for no ads. i have/had time warner cable as a internet provider if that helps.. (not sure if merger is still pending) will i be able to get anything better than 244P?
    also for the few anime shows i do watch i like to watch dubbed but hulu has a better selection but it's subbed which i don't like.

after trying out netflix i have some other questions:
    why no simpsons on netflix? is it a hulu exclusive or something? (i LOVE the simpsons...well the first dozen or so seasons anyways after that its kinda meh.)
    why only 1 season of restraunt impossible?
    why no bar rescue?
    is profit going to be on netflix?
    Last edited by breadisfunny; 2015-02-14 at 07:39 AM.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

15+ Year Old Account
    Netflix, no dumbass commercials. I don't pay to see shit.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

10+ Year Old Account
    I hate hulu because it still has commercials. Netflix all the way

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    Netflix, no dumbass commercials. I don't pay to see shit.
    which has the better selection of older television shows? i'm thinking of shows like dark matters:twisted but true and modern marvels old television show like those for example.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.

Really depends on the show you want to watch. Hulu has the most recent season of shows like family guy while Netflix only has up to 2013. Netflix has better movies than Hulu. I think they both have the entire series of TNG but Hulu stuffs commercials down your throat. Hulu has lots of more recent TV shows that were on ABC/NBC. Netflix has exclusive shows like House of Cards.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sophos1 View Post
    Really depends on the show you want to watch. Hulu has the most recent season of shows like family guy while Netflix only has up to 2013. Netflix has better movies than Hulu. I think they both have the entire series of TNG but Hulu stuffs commercials down your throat. Hulu has lots of more recent TV shows that were on ABC/NBC. Netflix has exclusive shows like House of Cards.
    i'm looking for more older shows. don't care much about newer shows. most of it is reality tv shows or shows appealing to the dumbest common denominator. am also interested in viewing older movies.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    which has the better selection of older television shows? i'm thinking of shows like dark matters:twisted but true and modern marvels old television show like those for example.
    If you want old tv shows then it's kind of a toss up. Netflix mostly has movies Your video rental remark is optional service everything else is streaming. Hulu has shit loads of TV from BBC shows to a huge assortment of anime or older tv shows that you won't find on netflix. Yes, hulu has ads but I don't mind them. I know both offer a free trial period so why not check both out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vindicatorx View Post
    If you want old tv shows then it's kind of a toss up. Netflix mostly has movies Your video rental remark is optional service everything else is streaming. Hulu has shit loads of TV from BBC shows to a huge assortment of anime or older tv shows that you won't find on netflix. Yes, hulu has ads but I don't mind them. I know both offer a free trial period so why not check both out.
    is there any way to get the anime dubbed on hulu? i hate subbed. also will i go over any bandwidth caps with streaming?

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    is there any way to get the anime dubbed on hulu? i hate subbed. also will i go over any bandwidth caps with streaming?
    It is either dubbed or it's not that depends on the show most anime fans hate dubs cause they are usually done very poorly. I am not aware of any bandwidth limitations you would have to check with your ISP on that.

10+ Year Old Account
    up to the studio that handles the western release. subs are done straight from japan i think. you could always live chat hulu support and ask them

the only dubbed anime i loved were trigun, FMA, and cowboy bebop

the rest just lack a good English cast to make it feel right

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vindicatorx View Post
    It is either dubbed or it's not that depends on the show most anime fans hate dubs cause they are usually done very poorly. I am not aware of any bandwidth limitations you would have to check with your ISP on that.
    well i did look to see if time warner has any limitations and the only thing i could find is something about them sending you a warning letter or something but no actual caps although now that comcast has bought them out....they were going to do a cap that would have made streaming for any significant amount of time financially difficult awhile back but it was rejected.(5gb to 100gb cap yes you read that correctly.) what does the warning letter mean exactly?
    Last edited by breadisfunny; 2015-02-11 at 05:53 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    well i did look to see if time warner has any limitations and the only thing i could find is something about them sending you a warning letter or something but no actual caps although now that comcast has bought them out....they were going to do a cap that would have made streaming for any significant amount of time financially difficult awhile back but it was rejected.(5gb to 100gb cap yes you read that correctly.) what does the warning letter mean exactly?
    ISPs will only send you a letter if you modify your modem to achieve higher bandwidth than you pay for

They can't just say "hey you... we don't like that you are using our service that you pay for to its fullest. stop that and use it less or else"

It is also why you should make sure that the FCC does not vote to give control of the internet over to the cable companies by calling your senator and voicing ur opinion

Time Warner doesn't have any caps that I'm aware of. I have TW myself and my average monthly usage is around 350 gigs.. You shouldn't have any quality issues either. I use Netflix and am able to stream to Chromecast or watch on pc in HD. I tried the Hulu trial and absolutely hated it. Recent tv shows sure, but if I want to watch something new with commercials I'll just use my DVR. During my trial I watched ONE episode of South Park and sat through two commercials before the progam even began and four more during the show. Making a total of 6 commercials during a 22 min program.. No TY. If you don't have cable tv or satellite then maybe I could justify Hulu. Otherwise no.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Msshammy View Post
    Time Warner doesn't have any caps that I'm aware of. I have TW myself and my average monthly usage is around 350 gigs.. You shouldn't have any quality issues either. I use Netflix and am able to stream to Chromecast or watch on pc in HD. I tried the Hulu trial and absolutely hated it. Recent tv shows sure, but if I want to watch something new with commercials I'll just use my DVR. During my trial I watched ONE episode of South Park and sat through two commercials before the progam even began and four more during the show. Making a total of 6 commercials during a 22 min program.. No TY. If you don't have cable tv or satellite then maybe I could justify Hulu. Otherwise no.
    okay. which would you say has the bigger selection of older documentaries?

okay. which would you say has the bigger selection of older documentaries?
    I can't really answer that lol.. I would assume Netflix. Not trying to just totally put Hulu down, but their selection just seemed very random. They both have their pluses are far as selection. I would definitely give the trial a go before you make your decision. But, I stand behind Netflix. Having been using them for several years and haven't had a single problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyonlol View Post
    ISPs will only send you a letter if you modify your modem to achieve higher bandwidth than you pay for

They can't just say "hey you... we don't like that you are using our service that you pay for to its fullest. stop that and use it less or else"

It is also why you should make sure that the FCC does not vote to give control of the internet over to the cable companies by calling your senator and voicing ur opinion
    Um, data caps are most definitely a real thing. It's a shitty thing for them to do but it does happen.

It's simple really

Do you want to see current shows airing now/this season: Hulu
    If you want to see anything else: Netflix by a mile.

i have both for anime

Deleted
    Netflix for definite their player is so much better and drains a lot less battery while on the go. Hulu tends to drain 30% more on average.

amazon. netflix made me mad when they increased price and gave less stuff lol. hulu is just trash all around