Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Need advice for our disc priest

I just got the role of healing leader for my guild and I want to make our healing core strong. I feel as if our disc is lacking a lot. She is a nice person but i know she needs advice on her class.

Her Armory : us. battle. net /wow/en/character/alexstrasza/Novaenea/simple

Logs : warcraftlogs. com / reports/Kabn7ZGpvgzAq2Dx#fight=15&type=healing&source=8

Thank you in advance.

Well the first problem i see is they're running Clarity of Will on kromag with a Holy pally in the group. The tank damage is rough, but its not that rough. Make sure she knows the best time to use PW:S to blanket the raid is before Stone Breath. She also has only 5 casts of PW:Solace which is terrible. She can also use AA twice as much.

Use my logs from tonight as comparison.

I see that her divine aegis is low and she doesn't shield as much as you did on your log. It seems if she would shield more then she would do better and cast solace more. correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Dahlar View Post
    I see that her divine aegis is low and she doesn't shield as much as you did on your log. It seems if she would shield more then she would do better and cast solace more. correct?
    Well solace helps with mana regeneration and evangelism generation. The key to being a good disc priest is timing your shields in a way so that they are the most effective. On the pull I'm able to hit 175k HPS in just shields and divine aegis alone. Granted I'm also running a 25m raid group so there is more damage for me to heal. With the size of your raid group, she shouldn't be having any issues blanketing PW:S for every breath. Divine Aegis is a by product of a spell that crits. When we cast AA we gain EAA which guarantees our next PoH or Flash Heal will crit and thus proc divine aegis.

Quote Originally Posted by Dahlar View Post
    She should be casting solace on CD, she should be using EAA during nearly every breath to enhance her shields and get that PoH off that is a guaranteed crit. She needs to use WoM. She needs to try to preshield as much of the breath as possible.

EAA/AA= Enhanced Archangel/Archangel It's a 25% buff to healing and it should be used 10+ times on Kromog and she should aim for a 50% uptime.
    Pew Pew Pow Pow Bam Pop Smack

Quote Originally Posted by Zlebar View Post
    EAA= Enhanced Archangel It's a 25% buff to healing and it should be used 10+ times on Kromog and she should aim for a 50% uptime.
    Archangel is the 25% buff. EAA just guarantees a crit from Flash Heal or Prayer of Healing.

Quote Originally Posted by djriff View Post
    Archangel is the 25% buff. EAA just guarantees a crit from Flash Heal or Prayer of Healing.
    I know, I just generally refer to them together because I'm lazy. Thank you for informing the community though. You should come heal in my raid, my other healers pull their weight(I mainspec shadow and went oom with 0 spirit on that fight at about 5 minutes, I would love your chew toy and candle for my OS) https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...W#type=healing
    Last edited by Zlebar; 2015-02-12 at 04:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zlebar View Post
    I know, I just generally refer to them together because I'm lazy. Thank you for informing the community though. You should come heal in my raid, my other healers pull their weight(I mainspec shadow and went oom with 0 spirit on that fight at about 5 minutes, I would love your chew toy and candle for my OS) https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...W#type=healing
    TBH I'm lazy as well and use the acronyms for all of the spells instead of just spelling them out.

I would love to come help you guys, but I'm currently content with my current raiding guild. I did pretty bad in timing on our kill of Kromag in terms of the breath, but still far better than I did on the 1 attempt I tested spirit shell. What time/day do you guys raid?

I looked at your longest pull (6minutes): https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...8&type=healing

- She used 7 solace. It has a 10second cooldown, so she should have used closer to 36. Tell her to use addons to track the cooldown. I can't link my weak aura from work, but I'm sure she can find one online. There are other addons such as TellMeWhen (although I've never used it). With 2 DPS trinkets, I'm willing to bet she's oom after 3minutes. Increasing Solace usage will definitely help with that.

- She used 4 archangels, but did not PoH once. She should have cast 4 PoHs to use up Empowered Archangel. (Our kill was only ~5min, but I think I used closer to 10 archangels)

- She has healing from PoM (7 casts). The only time she should hardcast PoM is before the pull. The spell is worthless in its current state. You will see PoM healing if she's using WoM, which I suggest she use on this fight. (If she's casting CoW, it means that she's not pre-shielding the raid for AoE damage.)

- She should use Power Infusion instead of Twist of Fate. ToF does not work on shields, and so it's not worth using with the current Disc playstyle.

- She should change her gems and enchants to mastery.

- Why is she using the DPS legendary ring? If she wants to dump spirit, she should drop it somewhere else. She's already using two DPS trinkets. I really have no idea how she's able to maintain her mana at all.

TBH I'm lazy as well and use the acronyms for all of the spells instead of just spelling them out.

I would love to come help you guys, but I'm currently content with my current raiding guild. I did pretty bad in timing on our kill of Kromag in terms of the breath, but still far better than I did on the 1 attempt I tested spirit shell. What time/day do you guys raid?
    We raid Tues/Thurs/Sunday from 8:30Central-11:30Central. It's kind of late, but it works for us. I'll just be glad when I get 2 piece and when 6.1 comes out. So many quality of life priest changes.

10+ Year Old Account
    I dont see how the use of CoW would be a bad thing. Is the paladin particularly bad? I run with CoW on nearly all fights.

Its really dependent on your comp if you can place your disc priest in the position to PWS spam the raid vs CoW the tanks. If you want to top meters and make it on the Warcraft logs front page then you can disregard tanks and spam the raid.

However I usually have a role to play and I watch the tanks in my guild.

Quote Originally Posted by Symmone View Post
    I dont see how the use of CoW would be a bad thing. Is the paladin particularly bad? I run with CoW on nearly all fights.

Its really dependent on your comp if you can place your disc priest in the position to PWS spam the raid vs CoW the tanks. If you want to top meters and make it on the Warcraft logs front page then you can disregard tanks and spam the raid.

However I usually have a role to play and I watch the tanks in my guild.
    We currently don't have a holy pally in our raid and even then the healers just split tank heals between them. I always keep a PW:S on them and trust the other healers to deal with damage spikes on the tanks. The benefit of PW:S blanketing outweighs the benefit of CoW the tanks if your other healers can keep them up. Its not about logs, at that point its about raid survival and mana management of the other healers.

10+ Year Old Account
    It seems like you are still making a point for the meters. " The benefits of PW:S blanketing outweighs the benefits CoW on the tanks." Yes, from a meters perspective maybe, but not from a healing comp/logistical view. If you consider healer toolkits, Disc is a very powerful tank healer so it seems wild to me that you would negate the use of a powerful spell and allow healers with a tool kit less suited than your own to pick it up.

You can ease so much stress on the less suited healers by just fulfilling the role you are soooo strong in. That way you allow them to fulfill the role they are strong in. Even if PW:S blanketing yields high HPS for you, I dont view that as a practical or justifiable reason to drop CoW.
    Last edited by Symmone; 2015-02-12 at 07:33 PM.

You can ease so much stress on the less suited healers by just fulfilling the role you are soooo strong in. That way you allow them to fulfill the role they are strong in. Even if PW:S blanketing yields high HPS for you, I dont view that as a practical or justifiable reason to drop CoW.
    I could make the same point about how disc is the strongest raid healer for predictable damage(which is VERY true, just look at Kromog logs/mythic gruul/mythic kromog). Each healer has a strong toolkit for tank heals. Typically tank heals are not why guilds are wiping on Kromog. It looks like that is the case in this guild as well, the raid falls apart as the raid takes incidental damage/stone breath. The 2 best things disc are suited to heal with WoM instead of CoW.

It seems like you are still making a point for the meters. " The benefits of PW:S blanketing outweighs the benefits CoW on the tanks." Yes, from a meters perspective maybe, but not from a healing comp/logistical view. If you consider healer toolkits, Disc is a very powerful tank healer so it seems wild to me that you would negate the use of a powerful spell and allow healers with a tool kit less suited than your own to pick it up.

It has nothing to do with meters. You're assuming that blanketing the raid is weak. PW:S is more powerful than any HoT in the game. As disc priests, our weakness is that we cannot easily bring the raid back up once it's down; however, there's no other healer than can blanket the raid with zero overhealing or that can save someone at low health instantly without the use of a cooldown. You say that spamming the tanks eases the stress of less suited healers, but I would argue that you can do the same by blanketing the raid with shields.

Don't get me wrong, this is not an argument against CoW. I use it on a ton of fights, but those fights don't have constant AoE damage.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tygerlily177 View Post
    It has nothing to do with meters. You're assuming that blanketing the raid is weak. PW:S is more powerful than any HoT in the game. As disc priests, our weakness is that we cannot easily bring the raid back up once it's down; however, there's no other healer than can blanket the raid with zero overhealing or that can save someone at low health instantly without the use of a cooldown. You say that spamming the tanks eases the stress of less suited healers, but I would argue that you can do the same by blanketing the raid with shields.

Don't get me wrong, this is not an argument against CoW. I use it on a ton of fights, but those fights don't have constant AoE damage.
    I dont think I ever implied PWS is weak...thats an insane allegation, ha! I just dont see how its an all or nothing. You can still use CoW on the tanks while PWSing people. Granted, you wont be able to do as much, but its entirely situation dependent as ive mentioned before. You seem to agree with that.

But I do see your point. Thanks for the input!
    Last edited by Symmone; 2015-02-12 at 09:45 PM.

I dont think I ever implied PWS is weak...thats an insane allegation, ha! I just dont see how its an all or nothing. You can still use CoW on the tanks while PWSing people. Granted, you wont be able to do as much, but its entirely situation dependent as ive mentioned before. You seem to agree with that.

But I do see your point. Thanks for the input!
    That's the main point is was getting at. Yes CoW is an amazing tank heal, but in Kromog, gruul, butcher, fights like this with constant damage, disc priests are better suited to PW:S blanket as over all you save the other healers mana and even some raid CD's.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's the main point is was getting at. Yes CoW is an amazing tank heal, but in Kromog, gruul, butcher, fights like this with constant damage, disc priests are better suited to PW:S blanket as over all you save the other healers mana and even some raid CD's.
    Haha yes that I agree with!

Rather than a CoW vs PW:S debate, shouldn't it be a CoW vs WoM debate? I mean that's the choice. I can see WoM being worth a try on Kromog (my guild is currently progressing on that fight in heroic) but in most fights CoW simply is more beneficial to the raid, in my experience.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vesuvius123 View Post
    Rather than a CoW vs PW:S debate, shouldn't it be a CoW vs WoM debate? I mean that's the choice. I can see WoM being worth a try on Kromog (my guild is currently progressing on that fight in heroic) but in most fights CoW simply is more beneficial to the raid, in my experience.
    Agree as well. Speccing into CoW does in no way alter your ability to blanket the raid - you simply have one more active ability in your toolkit, and when used right, it easily surpasses the few percent worth of passive PoM healing that you have very little influence over. WoM is simply easier playstyle for bigger numbers while relieving yourself of additional responsibility. In large raids it can work great - in smaller raids, I'd never choose WoM over CoW unless there was another Disc priest in the raid that has it - but 2 Discs in a small raid is another stick altogether.

CoW is not only useful for tanks btw, it comes in very handy in variety of scenarios. Most encounters in your average raiding guild are far from being executed perfectly. We're just humans, we make mistakes, rng gets in the way at times creating unexpected 'oh shit' situations. Being able to react to certain things with such a powerful absorb has proven priceless to me this xpac.

AS for OP - Leave her be with the spec - I'd personally just bring her attention to the fact she needs to do less random PWS and more targetted blanketing before predictable raid wide damage happens, on top of what she's doing with CoP; skip the PoM, focus on maintaining higher AA uptime. Use PoH with 5AA stacks once for DA, or if there doesn't happen to be a need for a group wide DA in a particular moment, use the AA to build DA on tank that is currently taking damage or will be very soon. Once she figures that out, she will be way more valuable to you then your average WoM loving Disc.

If you want to take it a step further, make sure all your healers can see incoming heals and shields on their raid frames - makes choices on the fly so much easier, similarly, split healing assignments to minimize pointless cross healing. In a small group, an unfortunate decision by 2 healers to take care of the same group at the same time can be deadly to the rest of the raid.
    Last edited by mag07; 2015-02-13 at 11:35 AM.