Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    The amount of crit on the gear is to low, this beeing an important stat for disc

Deleted
    Crit isn't so important these days, it's a good stat but mastery far outweighs it.
    I'd advise switching gems and enchants to mastery and as others have said, work on PW:Sol uptime, AA uptime, making use of her EAA procs and effective pre-shielding rather than random PW:S spam.
    As for CoW VS WoM it depends on your raid comp. I personally run CoW despite having a holy paladin in the group just because I like that buffer for breath/slam combos but that's just me, I'm sure you could get away with using WoM for some extra raid healing, I just don't value it that much myself.
    Hope that was enough information to help her improve

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by mag07 View Post
    Agree as well. Speccing into CoW does in no way alter your ability to blanket the raid - you simply have one more active ability in your toolkit, and when used right, it easily surpasses the few percent worth of passive PoM healing that you have very little influence over. WoM is simply easier playstyle for bigger numbers while relieving yourself of additional responsibility. In large raids it can work great - in smaller raids, I'd never choose WoM over CoW unless there was another Disc priest in the raid that has it - but 2 Discs in a small raid is another stick altogether.

CoW is not only useful for tanks btw, it comes in very handy in variety of scenarios. Most encounters in your average raiding guild are far from being executed perfectly. We're just humans, we make mistakes, rng gets in the way at times creating unexpected 'oh shit' situations. Being able to react to certain things with such a powerful absorb has proven priceless to me this xpac.

AS for OP - Leave her be with the spec - I'd personally just bring her attention to the fact she needs to do less random PWS and more targetted blanketing before predictable raid wide damage happens, on top of what she's doing with CoP; skip the PoM, focus on maintaining higher AA uptime. Use PoH with 5AA stacks once for DA, or if there doesn't happen to be a need for a group wide DA in a particular moment, use the AA to build DA on tank that is currently taking damage or will be very soon. Once she figures that out, she will be way more valuable to you then your average WoM loving Disc.

If you want to take it a step further, make sure all your healers can see incoming heals and shields on their raid frames - makes choices on the fly so much easier, similarly, split healing assignments to minimize pointless cross healing. In a small group, an unfortunate decision by 2 healers to take care of the same group at the same time can be deadly to the rest of the raid.
    Isn't it better to weight the situations that you will actually use CoW, than take it just in case. Ok WoM is a passive therefore easy to 'spec and forget' but it surely helps even that small amount (though I tend to see that it does 5-7% of healing with little overheal - wouldn't call it bad) so I don't see a reason not to use it especially at fights that scream WoM (as gruul and butcher).

Variety of scenarios? I would love to make me a scenario example where you needed to CoW someone besides the tanks and Ko'ragh's debuff targets. What other situations have you seen where you said that this guy is taking so much damage (not the tank) so I will start a long cast to not let him die? (If it is something like 5 stacks of fire debuff in twins he will probably die before it even lands). It is indeed very powerful I don't underestimate it at all, but in cases that there is pulsing constant damage, there is just not time to stop and cast.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by menya View Post
    Isn't it better to weight the situations that you will actually use CoW, than take it just in case. Ok WoM is a passive therefore easy to 'spec and forget' but it surely helps even that small amount (though I tend to see that it does 5-7% of healing with little overheal - wouldn't call it bad) so I don't see a reason not to use it especially at fights that scream WoM (as gruul and butcher).

Variety of scenarios? I would love to make me a scenario example where you needed to CoW someone besides the tanks and Ko'ragh's debuff targets. What other situations have you seen where you said that this guy is taking so much damage (not the tank) so I will start a long cast to not let him die? (If it is something like 5 stacks of fire debuff in twins he will probably die before it even lands). It is indeed very powerful I don't underestimate it at all, but in cases that there is pulsing constant damage, there is just not time to stop and cast.

Koragh is one, Branded carriers on Imperator, any difficulty, they run out of range often enough, Kargath group that goes up - especially handy on mythic, Flamers on Bracken - I CoW them all the time, allows them to push for higher stacks even during infesting spores without having to bounce in an out - again, particularly important in small raids where people with flamethrowers need to focus adds as well; Twins anyone that ends up with fire debuff stacks. For Butcher, you can reliably CoW a whole group when going gets tough with your on use haste. Not to mention, that in extreme cases, when you are the last healer standing, WoM is worth nothing at all - keeping the tank up for that last few percent without CoP is just not doable.

I just personally find WoM is gimping yourself unless you have 4+ healers in the raid. Does it help? Sure. Does it help more then well used CoW? No. If your raid needs to rely on PoM bounces for group heals you're better off going Holy (aka Gruul, which you really should - gimping the raid team by refusing to respec is simply lack of respect for fellow raiders; someone will end up having to pick up the slack).

Disc rocks with CoW - not on the meters, on the actual effective absorbs. It is OP through the roof if your raid realizes it's value. And last but not least, if you have 2 Discs with WoM in group of 4 healers, it's an almost guaranteed disaster unless it's an extremely well coordinated and communicated raid- if you have two with CoP, nearly every fight in HM, with the exception of Butcher Heroic is easily doable by pugs, from my own experience.
    Last edited by mag07; 2015-02-13 at 02:11 PM.

Deleted
    (aka Gruul, which you really should - gimping the raid team by refusing to respec is simply lack of respect for fellow raiders; someone will end up having to pick up the slack).
    You f*cking w0t m8?

Deleted
    Koragh is one, Branded carriers on Imperator, any difficulty, they run out of range often enough, Kargath group that goes up - especially handy on mythic, Flamers on Bracken - I CoW them all the time, allows them to push for higher stacks even during infesting spores without having to bounce in an out - again, particularly important in small raids where people with flamethrowers need to focus adds as well; Twins anyone that ends up with fire debuff stacks. For Butcher, you can reliably CoW a whole group when going gets tough with your on use haste. Not to mention, that in extreme cases, when you are the last healer standing, WoM is worth nothing at all - keeping the tank up for that last few percent without CoP is just not doable.

I just personally find WoM is gimping yourself unless you have 4+ healers in the raid. Does it help? Sure. Does it help more then well used CoW? No. If your raid needs to rely on PoM bounces for group heals you're better off going Holy (aka Gruul, which you really should - gimping the raid team by refusing to respec is simply lack of respect for fellow raiders; someone will end up having to pick up the slack).

Disc rocks with CoW - not on the meters, on the actual effective absorbs. It is OP through the roof if your raid realizes it's value. And last but not least, if you have 2 Discs with WoM in group of 4 healers, it's an almost guaranteed disaster unless it's an extremely well coordinated and communicated raid- if you have two with CoP, nearly every fight in HM, with the exception of Butcher Heroic is easily doable by pugs, from my own experience.
    Actually CoW can be called a whoring spell in a fight with more healers than needed but anyway.
    Branded carriers maybe on mythic in rest difficulties it is really not needed, just timing the shields right is enough. I don't see why to CoW your upstairs group on Kargath, but haven't been upstairs so can't really comment it. At brakenspore? Really? Who are your flamers on this boss, hunters and spriest can reset the stacks they don't need a focus absorb to stay alive and on top of that you are leaving the tanks and the mushroom to give something more than a shield on flamers? Seems a bit wrong, or you are just superoverhealing this fight.
    So you are saying that if I don't have CoW I should go holy because I can't pick up the slack and giving lack of respect on other healers(especially in Gruul!)? Exaggerating much?

The question that I ask myself is: Do I have time to cast CoW without hindering my ability to heal the raid? Last tier, the answer was "no" for 3 out of 7 mythic bosses (Butcher, Twins, and Imp. Mar'gok). Butcher was the most obvious one because we had 12 targets to shield (the tanks and cleave targets) and casting CoW meant that 2-3 of those would not get shields.

Until I see all of the mythic bosses in BRF, I cannot tell you what my choice will be for all of these bosses. However, I can tell you that I am 100% positive that Gruul and Kromog will be WoM. Tank deaths are typically not an issue for us though. All healers are tracking defensive cooldowns with Hermes, and if a tank goes down during a breath or slam without using a defensive, then the tank will be blamed, not the healers.

if she has a problem using solace close to "on cd"....she should switch to mindbender

aside from that....needs to time her AAx5 buff with more shield blanketing and to either cast an EAA FH or POH

as for the COW vs WoM debate...assuming most raids have a holy paly(x2 beacon)...i feel as though a disc priest's capabilities are better utilized by increasing the effective hp of the raid as opposed to spending valuable time as a support tank healer w/ CoW...on most fights in mythic progression(unless the disc priest is specifically assigned to tank support heals) you'd be hard pressed to find a top priest that doesn't use WoM...CoW certainly has its benefits but the drawbacks/sacrifices made by spending more mana and time hard casting a stacked CoW far outweigh its benefits and efficiency can become an issue

Hey! I'm Nova, person this post was made about. Appreciate all the really solid advice! Thank you <3

I was holy for a very long time and just started disc when requested about 3 weeks ago(never played it before). The log linked was a mechanics learning run, so I was highly focused on learning that more than rotation, wish I had other logs to compare to!

It looks like the main person I asked for advice on Disc either didn't know it as well as thought or completely trolled me, I had so much misinformation I didn't really read/know about Divine Aegis, thanks!!

Presently I do PW-S/CoW/PoM on tanks before pull, I had read those 3 were tops before a pull and that with those up I could then start stacking Evangelism by using PW-Sol/Smite/Pen, once AA is avail I go back to pw-s, is this still a good way to start out?

I need to use AA more, that I agree with, I was saving it for mass dmg points hitting AA and then Cascade(was told PoM wasnt worth casting nor PoH, given how much mana PoH cost I thought that advice was right) along with PW-s, I see now that I should be PW-S most and before damage hits but do I AA first? When will AA serve best?

Disc seems more preventative where as Holy is more reactive, I can make adjustments knowing that.

I've read a lot, watched a lot of videos, studied others logs but see a lot of differences still between disc priests. It looks like this thread has two styles of Disc,. the WoM and the CoW's. Which require somewhat different rotations, looks like its really situation oriented to me. I don't have a problem making adjustments between or during fights if needed, will just CoW on big dmg for tanks style fights and WoM on mass raid dmg.

What would most of you say stat priority is? I read online to cap Mastery ( I have 22.53% unbuffed) but then a guild priest said no and to stack crit,.

Also how/where does spirit come into the mix, some are comfortable with 900 others say at least 1300? Right now I'm at 1080.

I have both the 690 holy and dps rings, I have re-equipped the holy ring, was told to use the dps ring by a guildie whom played disc. I thought the dps ring stats were bad but didn't want to disappoint anyone by not following advice

I've been enchanting/gemming crit as directed, is that correct?

With the gear I have and the suggestions made what would a fair hps rate be for me to do?

Anyone have a best in slot list I can copy?

Will check into a few more add ons, right now I am using Clique and the blizz raid frame with decursive, I feel like sometimes my casts dont hit and that could be an interface issue, would appreciate any suggestions there as well. I may look into Elvui just seems like a pain to set up and I really like bartender. I have weakauras but no idea how to set it up as it seems to be pretty scenario specific.

Any other advice welcomed! Thanks for your time!!
    -Nova

- - - Updated - - -

I would love to hear your take on Spirit Shell! Thank you for some really solid advice.

Deleted
    Hi,

Since you're new with the class, I'll just tell you the main guidelines. After that, you can focus on advanced gameplay (which mostly involve planning ahead for predictive damage). For advanced gameplay, you'll have to lurk more on these forums or ask specific questions...

But first of all, stop listening to your disc guildie. I don't know what he/she is playing but that's not WoD disc... From now on, assume he/she is always wrong.

Gameplay :
    - Use solace on CD
    - Use defensive penance on CD (if everyone is near full health, you can throw an offensive one to prevent overheal; Else, it's a throughput loss)
    - Use T90 on CD (if you're raiding in a near 20man content, cascade is the best most of the time)
    - Use archangel (5 stacks) on CD. As long as you don't have your 2P bonus, you'll need to squeeze a few smite to build stacks.
    - For each archangel you trigger you need to cast exactly one PoH that will benefit from EAA (Empowered Archangel). Make sure it's cast on 5 raid members who will benefit from the DA.
    - spam pw:s as a filler on people who will need it.

About PoM. With the changes to 6.1, PoM becomes somewhat viable. But you need to make sure it's fully consumed for it to be worth casting.

Stats :

Int>Spirit (until comfortable)>Mastery>Haste (until comfortable)>Multistrike>Crit>>Versatility

Enchant and gem Mastery. Enchanting spirit on your weapon is the best choice (if you have too much spirit, you can discard another spirit gearpiece).
    About spirit. It really depend on your personnal needs. You'll have to figure this out by yourself. But note that casting a EAA PoH for each archangel will drain some mana.

Talents :

With the changes to 6.1 spirit shell is still not great. It allows for a faster blanketing for almost the same throughput than Pw:S spam but it's a mana loss.
    PI is still the most solid choice.
    Last edited by mmocf4af30eb25; 2015-02-17 at 08:26 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Novaenea View Post
    I read online to cap Mastery ( I have 22.53% unbuffed) but then a guild priest said no and to stack crit,.

Was told to use the dps ring by a guildie whom played disc.

I've been enchanting/gemming crit as directed
    Your guild mates are either the biggest trolls or the biggest plebs

^ Those were all the same person

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Darkmorcel View Post
    Since you're new with the class, I'll just tell you the main guidelines. After that, you can focus on advanced gameplay (which mostly involve planning ahead for predictive damage). For advanced gameplay, you'll have to lurk more on these forums or ask specific questions...
    New with the spec but will absolutely use more forums, you guys have all been crazy helpful!

But first of all, stop listening to your disc guildie. I don't know what he/she is playing but that's not WoD disc... From now on, assume he/she is always wrong.
    Done for sure ^

Use T90 on CD (if you're raiding in a near 20man content, cascade is the best most of the time
    I'm sorry whats T90?

Just realized you meant Cascade, that is the one I chose.

Thanks for all the help!
    Last edited by Novaenea; 2015-02-17 at 12:51 PM.

Deleted
    Nothing wrong with using the dps ring. I do so myself because I don't need the spirit.