MW monk looking for advice and tips (with logs)

Hi,

I have changed main from rogue to MW about 2 weeks ago as my guild team was missing a healer and was melee heavy. I havent really healed in the past and the nearest would be to just speed boost lfr q on my priest which isnt exactly what you would call raiding Due to my lack of experiance of healing and even less on a monk Im looking for any hints, tips and errors flags so I can make sure Im pointing in the right direction so I can grow in confidence and help my raid team progress through current content.

My Armory is http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...uzeknee/simple

Here is a log of 4 hc bosses from the other night https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...3&type=healing

I am still struggling a bit on han's and fans movement but we atleast got the kill.

If anyone has a min to try find my char to look over logs thankyou very much. If not I will add my armory and Logs when I have the permission to post links.

In advance thanks for any help and tips.
    Last edited by Bruze; 2015-02-13 at 03:15 PM. Reason: Adding logs and armory

Deleted
    Have you checked the guide on this forum first?

Yes I have read over guides from here and icyviens. But as you no sometime logs flag up mistakes you dont no your making. The problem I have is im not very good with logs from dps side I managed for dot uptimes on my lock but anything more Im clueless and from a healing point im really unsure.

- - - Updated - - -

Also to add I dont no any MW monks in game to have a chat with for tips and stuff, that is why I thought asking you guys would be a good idea.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruze View Post
    Yes I have read over guides from here and icyviens. But as you no sometime logs flag up mistakes you dont no your making. The problem I have is im not very good with logs from dps side I managed for dot uptimes on my lock but anything more Im clueless and from a healing point im really unsure.

- - - Updated - - -

Also to add I dont no any MW monks in game to have a chat with for tips and stuff, that is why I thought asking you guys would be a good idea.

Will have a look when I get to a PC later, can't look at logs on a phone. If you play EU you can PM your battletag if you think of questions down the line you wanna ask

Thanks Spinandwin for taking some time out to look over logs

Quote Originally Posted by spinandwin View Post
    Will have a look when I get to a PC later, can't look at logs on a phone. If you play EU you can PM your battletag if you think of questions down the line you wanna ask
    Ive noticed EM overheals a ton. The problem I seem to have is 5-10 seconds before raid damage, capped at 4 chi, 2/3 pool of mists and nothing to spend my chi on but EM (to not over cap) to bring me down to 1/4 chi. Then 5s before raid damage I throw out my 2 remaining charges (because I have had only 1 rolling and need to spread ReM for uplifts), now sitting at 3/4 chi with 0/3 PoM and an EM rolling and most likely overhealing.. and cant generate chi quickly enough to get off barely 2 uplifts

What can I do in a situation like this? am I better not spending my chi on EM and staying capped at 4 chi, wait for ~5s before damage, and throw out my 2/3 ReMs while capped? keep in mind I just been throwing out 1 ReM to keep myself from capping this whole time so theres not more than 2-4 people with ReM on them so I need to dump my remaining 2/3 PoM/ReM so I can get off an full 6+ target uplift.

I guess what im trying to say is if EM is going to overheal anyway am I better dumping chi on an overheal uplift so I have more chi remaining?

Hopefully I described that right? Any help with be appreciated.

Deleted
    Problem definately seems to be overhealing in general but...

You guys use a lot of healers + it's normal mode and you are overgeared. I think that's forcing you to overheal a lot, if you want to snipe them then you just need to work on your timing better and play pro actively with pool of mists. But really that's moronic and you should just drop a healer.

It's kind of hard to distinguish between what could be bad gameplay and what could be low numbers due to lack of damage (normal mode) and too many healers. Very hard to judge when you aren't doing gear appropriate content and healers are fighting over health bars.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mattwright999 View Post
    Ive noticed EM overheals a ton. The problem I seem to have is 5-10 seconds before raid damage, capped at 4 chi, 2/3 pool of mists and nothing to spend my chi on but EM (to not over cap) to bring me down to 1/4 chi. Then 5s before raid damage I throw out my 2 remaining charges (because I have had only 1 rolling and need to spread ReM for uplifts), now sitting at 3/4 chi with 0/3 PoM and an EM rolling and most likely overhealing.. and cant generate chi quickly enough to get off barely 2 uplifts

What can I do in a situation like this? am I better not spending my chi on EM and staying capped at 4 chi, wait for ~5s before damage, and throw out my 2/3 ReMs while capped? keep in mind I just been throwing out 1 ReM to keep myself from capping this whole time so theres not more than 2-4 people with ReM on them so I need to dump my remaining 2/3 PoM/ReM so I can get off an full 6+ target uplift.

I guess what im trying to say is if EM is going to overheal anyway am I better dumping chi on an overheal uplift so I have more chi remaining?

Hopefully I described that right? Any help with be appreciated.

Answered on other thread afink

Quote Originally Posted by spinandwin View Post
    Problem definately seems to be overhealing in general but...

You guys use a lot of healers + it's normal mode and you are overgeared. I think that's forcing you to overheal a lot, if you want to snipe them then you just need to work on your timing better and play pro actively with pool of mists. But really that's moronic and you should just drop a healer.

It's kind of hard to distinguish between what could be bad gameplay and what could be low numbers due to lack of damage (normal mode) and too many healers. Very hard to judge when you aren't doing gear appropriate content and healers are fighting over health bars.

- - - Updated - - -

Answered on other thread afink
    Hi spinandwin when you say normal mode do you mean old normal? As the logs are new heroic. Il get some new logs on wed as I had some problems logging last hc fights.

Deleted
    Hi spinandwin when you say normal mode do you mean old normal? As the logs are new heroic. Il get some new logs on wed as I had some problems logging last hc fights.

Oh no I just made a mistake. Well aside from that I stand by what I said. You overheal a lot but it's hard to tell whether thats from too many healers or a playstyle issue.
    I guess you should answer yourself honestly. Are you using pool of mists stacks proactively and as a raid blanket before big damage, are you using RJW only during excessive damage and where it will do little to no overhealing.

It's all about controlled burst. If the entire raid is about to take big damage, blanket with rem beforehand (DBM timers!) build up 4 chi..... Then when the damage comes. Pop RJW, do 2 uplifts, chi burst, re apply RJW, expel harm, uplift. And just keep spamming uplift and re applying RJW until the damage stops being excessive.

Don't go overboard on RJW or you'll go oom. Remember you can use surging as an on demand chi generator for raid burst. And generally just learn the fight and be in control.

- - - Updated - - -

Edit.... In that very specific example I gave where I said build to 4 chi and pop RJW you would have wasted one chi. But you get what I mean though? It's just about control and proactive gameplay. For all healers but as a monk you get punished harder and rewarded better based on how well you do that. At least while specced pool of mists / RJW. Different talents will alter your gameplay but that's the cookie cutter build and current meta gameplay for MW

Thanks for clearing up. Yes I try not to cap at 3 rem regardless of raid damage, then when big damage is coming in i then send out my other 2/3 stacks depending on the cd timer so i have more raid members covered before the damage hits then try to do as you have mentioned with the spamming uplifts through the damage. In all honesty I dont use RJW as much as i probably should do. I dont always remember that i have it.

Cause I am very new to healing and to monk healing. Im kind of feel like im doing it alittle blind and just going by what i have read rather than experience (which is 0) so each time I repeat a boss I feel that I get the little bit better. Im just unsure if my better is on the right path

I guess thats the difference from all the years of being dpsing were you have a perfect rotation for max numbers then you mold it around a boss mechanics, with healing if a player does something right or wrong it affects what you need to do.

Deleted
    Thanks for clearing up. Yes I try not to cap at 3 rem regardless of raid damage, then when big damage is coming in i then send out my other 2/3 stacks depending on the cd timer so i have more raid members covered before the damage hits then try to do as you have mentioned with the spamming uplifts through the damage. In all honesty I dont use RJW as much as i probably should do. I dont always remember that i have it.

Cause I am very new to healing and to monk healing. Im kind of feel like im doing it alittle blind and just going by what i have read rather than experience (which is 0) so each time I repeat a boss I feel that I get the little bit better. Im just unsure if my better is on the right path

I guess thats the difference from all the years of being dpsing were you have a perfect rotation for max numbers then you mold it around a boss mechanics, with healing if a player does something right or wrong it affects what you need to do.

Well so long as you have a good idea of what you're meant to be doing the experience and the muscle memory will follow after. I mean I don't do all of those things I mentioned above perfectly but it's where I'm actively looking to improve my own healing. But if you don't realise that importance of timing proactive gameplay and burst for MW then you never really get beyond average.
    Since that's the road the skill cap seems to go down.