So I have two questions please.

1st. I'm a disc priest, I use PW:S some penance, a bit of flash heal, I use solace on cooldown, i only use evan on 1 or 2 stacks. I seem to be having mana problems, I'm sure i'm doing something wrong cause I dont see other disc priests running out of mana.

2nd. this is I guess related to the first, I'm having a hard time on gold healer proving grounds, I get to about wave 5 and it goes to hell... I know its partly mana but i"m sure its something else.

thanks.

Deleted
    How much spirit do you have and what trinkets are you using?

Are there any fights in particular that you're having mana issues on or is it a general issue?

Do you have any logs you can link so I can look into your spell usage more precisely?

my spirit is 962, I have a problem on IMP and gold proving grounds come to mind right away, oh and oregorger, the train one also. my trinkets are shards of nothing and goren soul repository.

962 is pretty low, do you have spirit on every piece that can get it besides trinkets? you should also stop using flash heal, pws and penance is enough.

Deleted
    a bit of flash heal
    Here is your answer. Disc should press 2 buttons to top meters, and flash heal is not one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitrodroki View Post
    Disc should press 2 buttons to top meters
    If you're only using two buttons as Disc, you're doing it horribly wrong.

Flash Heal is perfectly fine when used in moderation.

Quote Originally Posted by anon5123 View Post
    If you're only using two buttons as Disc, you're doing it horribly wrong.

Flash Heal is perfectly fine when used in moderation.
    no reason to flash heal when you have shield and penance. theres other people in the raid to do the picking up if they have weakened soul. they were probably dead anyway if you have to resort to flash healing.

Quote Originally Posted by kheath812 View Post
    no reason to flash heal when you have shield and penance. theres other people in the raid to do the picking up if they have weakened soul. they were probably dead anyway if you have to resort to flash healing.
    I'd rather attempt to save someone low on health myself instead of gambling on "someone else will heal them".

I don't use Flash Heal a lot, maybe four or five times per fight, if that. But telling someone that they should never be using it is kinda dumb.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by kheath812 View Post
    What you say is correct if your aim is to top meters.

If you want to save people then flash heal has it's moments of being the best tool for the job. In either case the OP mentions provings grounds where there are no other healers.

@OP there are a few video guides for doing the proving grounds, a lot of it is just learning what happens in each wave, it's very formulaic so you can essentially learn what to do button by button

Deleted
    For the second question:

- Use Clarity of Will. Maintain the tank with shield+CoW and you will rarely feel the need to use flash heal.
    - When there are borrowers around don't let your tank drop below 90%, other than that, treat chomp with Shield-> Penance.
    - Save your Empowered AA for the unexpected damage time that you weren't prepared for with shields.
    - Whenever Singer is around keep shields up on everyone while keeping the tank safe.
    - Also you can interrupt the Sonic thing that Singers do (Silence and Scream both work)
    - Do not forget to use your cds, barrier and painsup.
    - Something I was doing when I felt that I had no cd for the tank and he was about to take massive damage, I was griping him to save some time.
    - You can use also Halo as a healing cd but the cost of mana is high, so take it only if you can afford it.

Deleted
    Your job is to blanket the raid with power word shield and throw out penance on CD. Use archangel > prayer of healing when you know big raid damage comes. Use Prayer of Mending when you can.

Flash heal is terrible for mana. If you are not good with doing Solace on CD then mindbender is an easy fire and forget ability and often provide better mana. Also make sure to always use a mana pot. They are cheap. I really don't have any more spirit than you when i offspec Disc but i rarely run out of mana.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsparowe View Post
    What you say is correct if your aim is to top meters.

If you want to save people then flash heal has it's moments of being the best tool for the job. In either case the OP mentions provings grounds where there are no other healers.

@OP there are a few video guides for doing the proving grounds, a lot of it is just learning what happens in each wave, it's very formulaic so you can essentially learn what to do button by button
    what i said is the opposite of only trying to top the meters... flash heal will destroy your mana and youre better off making people hp pot and having the healers that their job is to heal and not blanket absorb pick people up. that isnt my job and im not wasting mana for it. if i have to resort to flash heal in a raid more than a handful of times per night then something has gone catastrophically wrong in the boss attempt anyways. selfish would be trying to snipe heals when ive already put an absorb on them. my mana bar is king. if im out of mana i might as well not even be there because im doing nothing.

plus we have clarity of will anyways. (not that its really a whole lot better than wom...)
    Last edited by kheath812; 2015-02-16 at 08:39 AM.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    That's rather awkward - PG Gold is perfectly doable with no spirit gear at all, let alone some. Make sure you are dealing with the debuf the group gets in a proper way - if you don't, you will fail, every time - don't think it shows on grid by defaul - I had to manually input the spell id from wowhead for it to show. Don't overheal. I find Mind Bender, PI, Cascade and CoP the easiest for it - Solace is a better choice only if you can maintain near maximum uptime on it. CoP rocks for the tank. Don't forget you also have an interrupt - bloody long cd, but that's at least one nasty damage causing cast less. Use it.

As for raids, from my own observations - most of mana issues come down to random ability usage and overhealing. Try to look at the encounter closely, make sure you know which mechanics cause raid wide damage - your job is mainly to prevent it, not to remedy afterwards. If your timing is wrong you'll keep on burning mana for nothing. Not sure about using AA at such low stacks all the time - seems like a bit of a waste really - I'd suggest going up to 5, and either blowing it out on a PoH when needed, or the tank to build up a big DA - whatever your raid role may be. Though either way, that should not have a negative effect on your mana pool.

Use heal if for some reason you find yourself in need of topping an odd raid member up. Use flash heal only if it means it will save the tank. First thing you should do in a situation like that is PWS and PS then if Penance is still on cd, a Flash Heal. But by that time usually, another healer is meant to have reacted to the situation as well. I'd rather blow PI or haste trinket and CoP the tank then us a flash heal on them in general.

As for other tips -is your stat priority correct? Are you gemmed/enchanted? What enchant do you have on your weapon? Do you use Mana potions, if so which ones and when?

What is your UI like? Can you see everything you need to see as it happens? Do you use DBM or alternative?

There are many, many reasons for potential troubles, it's hard to say really without seeing your armory, logs, ui.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by darbok View Post
    I use solace on cooldown, i only use evan on 1 or 2 stacks.
    How comes you're only using Evangelism on 1 or 2 stacks?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by broods View Post
    Your job is to blanket the raid with power word shield and throw out penance on CD. Use archangel > prayer of healing when you know big raid damage comes. Use Prayer of Mending when you can.
    Ehmm.....no!
    You should not help people when you don't know how to say.
    CoW+PwS+Penance are enough, flash in emergency case, that's it.

Deleted
    @OP If you're going to run with that low spirit (which is perfectly doable) you should look at getting yourself some regen trinkets. The Ironspike Chew Toy from Beastlord Darmac is great and if you have the money to spend Winged Hourglass is a great alternative/addition. Solace usage also becomes really important if you're maintaining such low spirit but you'll notice the biggest difference from getting yourself some nice trinkets.

For your spell usage, Flash Heal is perfectly fine in solo content if used sparingly but in raids you generally want to avoid using it. You'd only use it in a situation where a target is low, has Weakened Soul, Penance is on CD and you're expecting them to take damage again soon.