Deleted

"Ashes, Ashes..." Achievement...possibly the worst one I've ever done

Hey guys,

this weekend we worked on the achievement "Ashes, Ashes..." (http://www.wowhead.com/achievement=8952/ashes-ashes) and I have to say it was the worst, by far, that I ever had to do. Whoever designed this was clearly not thinking straight.

At the end, when we got it, we had 6 druids and 11 hunters in the raid to have classes who could collect the stars and then disengage/jump back onto the platform.

If anyone dies before phase 3 it's pretty much impossible to do, because you will have to kill Blackhand as well as catching that shit. Hunters and druids are busy collecting and there is still healing, tanking and DPS involved.

I made a Twitter post with our setup: https://twitter.com/PhilRogmann/stat...99653928067072

"Bring the player, not the class"...yeah, seems about right for BRF :/

I usually help people get their achievements but this one I will NEVER do again.

/rant
    Last edited by mmocf94762782a; 2015-02-24 at 02:41 PM. Reason: Typos

Yeah, I dread this one and I suspect I will have to convince my friends to return to it in a tier or two after we severely outgear it. Unless a better method is found I agree it's kind of silly right now.

Currently playing Borderlands 1 remaster. Amped for Borderlands 3.
    Add me on the PSN for jolly-cooperation @ PuppetShoJustice

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by PuppetShowJustice View Post
    Yeah, I dread this one and I suspect I will have to convince my friends to return to it in a tier or two after we severely outgear it. Unless a better method is found I agree it's kind of silly right now.
    I don't know how many pulls we had, how many times we cancelled during P1 and P2 and how many times we just barely made it but didn't have enough people alive to kill Blackhand in the end. I am happy I have the achievement but will not do it again. Class-stacking sucks.

Hunters, druids, priests, mages, goblins all work well. Warriors and rogues might do okay too. I've never done the achievement, but I assume it's a nightmare. Probably up there with the Love is in the Air thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bootybear View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Valancer View Post
    I play as a holy priest and when I ran hfc lfr I noticed after the first boss my heal spell wasn't casting. So I looked at it and it shows that it has a 34.4 min cast time
    Do you have the class trinket? If so, the cast time is correct. /s

I haven't done it yet, but I don't think it's as bad as the Will of the Emperor achievement. This one is awful, but at least you can out gear it. It probably will delay my collecting my gron mount for a couple months. (At least I'm a goblin)

That Will of the Emperor one though.... (Which I did get)

Honestly I would see if Blizzard could lower that number to 10 though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Unmerciful Conker View Post
    What?! They said soon? Well you dont hear that everyday, I dont know about you guys but that has put my mind at total rest.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    Hunters, druids, priests, mages, goblins all work well. Warriors and rogues might do okay too. I've never done the achievement, but I assume it's a nightmare. Probably up there with the Love is in the Air thing.
    It took us an evening of changing the setup every 5 or so pulls. Theoretically a lot of classes can do it but it only really worked easy-ish with stacking hunters. Let me know if a "normal" setup can do it and how it went. It was a nightmare to do.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Yindoo View Post
    There are two spots where you dont have to leave the plattform. Our mage got 8 this way.
    Cool. I know there were some on the platform but those weren't enough. Can you share a picture for those who haven't done it?

There are two spots where you dont have to leave the plattform. Our mage got 8 this way.
    Would also be very interested to know where these locations are. My group has just this achievement left but haven't even bothered to attempt it due to low hunter count.

This achievement is extremely easy if you realise that there are multiple spots that you just can stand on and collect more than 10 ashes without having to jump from platform

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmyx View Post
    This achievement is extremely easy if you realise that there are multiple spots that you just can stand on and collect more than 10 ashes without having to jump from platform
    By all means, don't tell us where those supposed spots are.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bootybear View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Valancer View Post
    I play as a holy priest and when I ran hfc lfr I noticed after the first boss my heal spell wasn't casting. So I looked at it and it shows that it has a 34.4 min cast time
    Do you have the class trinket? If so, the cast time is correct. /s

Deleted
    Thanks for the picture, I will see if I can get another group to test this with a twink.

Deleted
    Most valueable information: If you have 20 ashes, the achievement text turns green.

I did not bother to check the exact position (I was a Hunter and already busy) but combat replay shows the following positions:
    http://puu.sh/geKDs/c945d1d708.jpg

Top right red circle is 100% sure, Bottom left red circle not so much.

Also if you get the ashes debuff and you die, it still counts.

Proof for this information:
    http://puu.sh/geKVt/40c1c3a544.png

As you can see in the previous screenshot this hunter is dead.
    Can confirm the lower left position. I just stood there and got 11 debuffs. It shouldnt be hard to find as you can just see them dropping on the edge.

can you share the picture again plz?

Did this one yesterday. Spent several hours, mostly wiping it cause we didnt collect enough before they stopped spawning(time based, not %). We used Five hunters, two monks, one druid and one lock to collect. The achievement does indeed go white when you have 20 ashes collected.

Theres video of the last phase here with warlock Pov: http://youtu.be/eOm1Ja5X4bY

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Trylldom View Post
    Did this one yesterday. Spent several hours, mostly wiping it cause we didnt collect enough before they stopped spawning(time based, not %). We used Five hunters, two monks, one druid and one lock to collect. The achievement does indeed go white when you have 20 ashes collected.

Theres video of the last phase here with warlock Pov: http://youtu.be/eOm1Ja5X4bY
    So we are indeed not the only ones having problems with it. Thanks.

Tried it tonight didnt get it, had a lot of pugs that werent very good. Those spots you speak of do you just stand there and the ash comes close enough?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by satimy View Post
    Tried it tonight didnt get it, had a lot of pugs that werent very good. Those spots you speak of do you just stand there and the ash comes close enough?
    Theoretically from the data provided above: Yes. You should try it though, my group did it the hard way (as mentioned in my OP)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by satimy View Post
    It's important that nobody jumps. If you jump and collect the ash, it'll despawn. So let's say you have 6 people standing in that spot. One guy jumps straight up as soon as he sees the thing and collects it. Now you have +1 on the counter instead of +6.
    If you do the spots right, the achievement is super easy. We did it with 1 hunter and 1 druid if I remember correctly. Trickiest part was to get people to not fucking jump all the time.