Just got Dual-Spec for my Monk. This WW monk needs MW advice!

Hi all,

I've been raiding Highmaul and BRF as a WW monk for a month now. Just decided to get my dual-specialization, and decided to do mistweaver. I know there is limited gear overlap, but I've never had a healer role for the many years I've played WoW, and I'd like to learn. Any advice on getting started? I've browsed the excellent guides on this forum, but I'm kind of lost as to where to start as a healer. Should I do normal 5 mans to practice? Help!

Yes, practise in 5mans, although heroic should be fine since you are in raiding gear.

The general idea is to use abilities on those colors bars that have gone down already to make them go back up. Make them go back up before they go all the way down. Use mouseover macros or a click addon to do so.

If you're absolutely clueless on healing and want to practice in environments where no one's going to get mad at you, proving grounds for 5 man (you need at least silver anyway for heroics, and it's a good place to accustom yourself to the keybinds) and LFR are safe bets. The mistweaver toolkit is pretty solid in raids but a bit lackluster in 5-mans -- you'll be perfectly fine in heroics, it's just not the same level of being a joke as other healers. Just get used to anticipating damage and whatever healing style you decide to go with in terms of clicking frames/mouseovers/etc. LFR damage output is so low that the absorb healers will probably crush you regardless of how well you do though, but the main goal there is to get used to maintaining renewing mists, again anticipating heavy damage to time uplifts, swapping in/out of crane if you so choose, etc.

15+ Year Old Account
    Where I want to be and where I am are 2 different places
    Ok if anyone is still reading this post and is still helping... I have a question and I didn't want to start a new thread. Is it perfectly ok to just stand back and heal or is it pretty mandatory to fistweave?

This is something I am wondering too. Is fistweaving a pretty legitimate way to heal, at least for 5 mans?

Fistweaving is not viable in 5mans until you're like 60+ item levels overgeared; the HPS difference with just one healer is way too massive. In PvE it's a tool for soloing out in the world or, in raids, doing very mana-efficient healing while also providing some damage during less stressful phases in raid encounters where the decreased healing isn't missed.

- - - Updated - - -

You may also be interested in this thread: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...tance-required
    Legion Mistweaver Stat Weights SPREADSHEET --- Stat weights DISCUSSION THREAD
    Follow @GeodewMW for off-topic funsies and notifications for important MW theorycrafting posts!
    IF WE MISS YOUR QUESTION, please ask again! You're not being annoying, I promise

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Varakai View Post
    Ok if anyone is still reading this post and is still helping... I have a question and I didn't want to start a new thread. Is it perfectly ok to just stand back and heal or is it pretty mandatory to fistweave?

Situational. Measure how effective your pure healing is at that moment in time and make a mental judgement of its value versus the damage you're capable of. There are a lot of times where it's just an overheal fest and damage is a bit bleh.

But then again a lot old these fights seem very mechanical rather than a tight damage check.

Mostly I just use it for mana. So far only have experience on oreg and beastlord Mc cause we're terrible. But oreg I just fistweaved hero on pull. Since the other healers have int pots and hero + a wings is up healing the pull felt meaningless to me.
    Beastlord I'm playing with a lot of different talents/ideas but at the very least you'd FW pull if you were going basic PoM/RJW. And maybe RJW the adds?

Just use judgement. Sometimes your healing is meaningless. And while sometimes damage might be a bit meaningless (weighed against something say like a freak tank spike) the fact that it's mana positive pretty much makes it always useful in low damage to fistweave.
    Since you're essentially allowing more breathing room for yourself.

Imo the mana gain is the greater utility versus the damage but Ive been contested a lot on that and it's whatever. Either way it's useful
    Last edited by mmoc028a8df6da; 2015-03-08 at 11:47 AM.

Read the MW guide here on MMO-champion first, it's excellent. Have a clear understanding of what spells/stats/items etc. is good from what you read.

After that you wanna practice in 5 man HCs and LFR. Why? Because you can't practice in 5 man HCs only or just LFR only as a MW. The spells used in those two options are completely different from one another. You will be using spells in 5 man HCs which you would barely use in a raid situation and same the other way around.

Once you've got good at that and you wish a challenge, you can try a CM, just saying that it's incredibly hard and stressful as a MW with the toolkit that they have. My first CM I healed was UBRS, wasn't the easiest experience I had ever tried.

Don't care about fistweaving yet. Fistweaving means nothing to you at the moment, it's an advanced toolkit of the MW spec but you do not need to understand fistweaving to be a good MW monk, you can easily be a top tier MW monk without using fistweaving. The benefits from fistweaving are so minor and if you don't do it correctly, you are not benefitting from it at all except that you are actually wasting your time with it. Fistweaving is suitable as stated for 5 mans at most when you are really overgeared but in a raid situation, it's not that great.

A good MW monk will master stance switching and being able to benefit from both. Basically, to give you an idea of the most main benefit from fistweaving is fast generating mana tea stacks. A great MW monk knows when to switch between stances to get a lot of mana tea stacks, so he is capable of wasting more mana in serpent stance. Another thing that fistweaving provides is a free instant surging mist cast if you build up enough Vital Mist, which can prove useful in fights where you expect a big attack incoming on a specific target.

I would start with these talents:
    Celerity - Chi Burst - Chi Brew - (optional) - (optional) - Chi Torpedo - Pool of Mists.

From there on, you can develop into other things, experiment with Xuen, RJW, Chi Explosion, Power Strikes etc. but I would start with those if I was you as they are relatively easy to master and understand.

I would highly recommend practicing healing in pvp, even if you don't like pvp. Go into Ashran or a random BG. Its a much more forgiving environment than a 5 man imo. And learning to heal in a pvp environment forces you to use all of your abilities.

I'm not a big pvp'er, but healing in pvp has taught me allot more about my class, and I enjoy it allot more than dungeons.

But don't get too serious about PvP or you'll tear your hair out at how bad MW is (at PvP that is) :P
    Legion Mistweaver Stat Weights SPREADSHEET --- Stat weights DISCUSSION THREAD
    Follow @GeodewMW for off-topic funsies and notifications for important MW theorycrafting posts!
    IF WE MISS YOUR QUESTION, please ask again! You're not being annoying, I promise

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratix View Post
    Hi all,

I've been raiding Highmaul and BRF as a WW monk for a month now. Just decided to get my dual-specialization, and decided to do mistweaver. I know there is limited gear overlap, but I've never had a healer role for the many years I've played WoW, and I'd like to learn. Any advice on getting started? I've browsed the excellent guides on this forum, but I'm kind of lost as to where to start as a healer. Should I do normal 5 mans to practice? Help!
    On the note of gear: while there is some overlap, Mistweavers and Windwalkers both love Multistrike and hate Mastery. The weights of crit/haste/vers are not 100% the same, but the overall gearing strategy, with the exception of jewelry/trinkets/weapons, is close enough that you can definitely get away with some armor overlap.