Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by WskyDK View Post
    Think it's a hemorrhage move; snagging Shady means they can have a mediocre (at best) QB and still be effective
    I literally JUST made the edit in my post aswell after realizing it =P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasperio View Post
    I literally JUST made the edit in my post aswell after realizing it =P
    Ha! Cheers!

- - - Updated - - -

Anyone think Smith will head to the Niners?
    I'd figure he'll head somewhere that wasn't in a free-fall last year, and has a better QB than Kaepernick.

Seahawks lost Byron Maxwell to the Eagles.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaerys View Post
    Gaze upon the field in which I grow my fucks, and see that it is barren.

Deleted
    With Chargers cornerback Brandon Flowers agreed to a four-year, $36 million deal to stay in San Diego and the Eagles going out of their way to aquire Maxwell it's pretty clear teams are fighting tooth and nail to aquire or keep top corners everywhere.

Speaking of Eagles, with Shady gone they seem to be working hard on getting Gore as his replacement. What's peoples' thoughts on that?

Seems to me that what they're getting is durability. And not just that but at a huge discount. Gore might not be as explosive and exciting as McCoy but he's tough and has proven in his (10?) years now he's a hard worker. That said he IS 31 years old which is OLD for a running back in this league so is he worth it?
    Last edited by mmoc1f48e0f23e; 2015-03-09 at 02:18 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    You have some expected stuff with the Eagles and Chiefs, Chargers keeping Flowers. Suh is the big surprise obviously. Lots of big names getting scooped up, where are the Raiders and Jaguars at?

Gore for $7.5 mil over the first 2 years is worth it, thats a competitive price though they had to guarantee that money to entice him. Lots cheaper than McCoy

I feel like the Chiefs are giving up on Justin Houston. General consensus was that he was waiting until Suh signed since Suh's contract "sets the market" so to speak, and now he's going to be looking for an offer that the Chiefs simply won't match. This is all on top of his publicly-stated frustration with the team, and Suh's signing has now given him the leverage he needs.

EDIT: Looks like the Raiders are after C Rodney Hudson from the Chiefs as well since we probably won't be able to afford him.
    Last edited by The Cheat; 2015-03-09 at 02:30 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Cheat View Post
    I feel like the Chiefs are giving up on Justin Houston. General consensus was that he was waiting until Suh signed since Suh's contract "sets the market" so to speak, and now he's going to be looking for an offer that the Chiefs simply won't match. This is all on top of his publicly-stated frustration with the team, and Suh's signing has now given him the leverage he needs.
    Who would give up 2 first round picks for him though?

My buddy is a huge Miami fan so I texted him "Congrats on a boy named Suh" and then I added "I wouldn't mind if he stomped on Brady"

10+ Year Old Account
    Apparently McCourty has just agreed to a new contract with the Patriots. Huge get.

10+ Year Old Account
    Gore as his replacement. What's peoples' thoughts on that?
    Ehhhhhh, I've never been impressed with Gore

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    Apparently McCourty has just agreed to a new contract with the Patriots. Huge get.
    Thank Buddha, we needed that.

Just realized it's the WR B Marshall. Jets have a nice receiving corps now with Harvin and Marshall

10+ Year Old Account
    Just realized it's the WR B Marshall. Jets have a nice receiving corps now with Harvin and Marshall
    Harvin is almost certainly gone. They still have Erick Decker though, who will now suddenly be in the more fit role of WR 2. And don't sleep on Jeremy Kerley. He's hurt the Patriots quite a fe wtimes, and is a good, underrated slot guy. Jets definitely have the recievers. What they need is consistency at QB.

McCourty deal is apparently 47,5M over 5 years (9,5M a year). Second highest paid safety behind Earl Thomas, and 3rd largest contract ever given to a safety (behind Eric Berry and Byrd last season). So much for the Patriots not paying their players.

EDIT: and apparently 28,5M guaranteed. Load of money for McCourty.

Question now becomes, what happens with Revis? Do they still have the dough to keep him?
    Last edited by xskarma; 2015-03-09 at 03:05 AM.

Ehhhhhh, I've never been impressed with Gore

- - - Updated - - -l
    Never been impressed with Gore?
    He's a workhorse, rarely injured 1000+ yards every year almost
    And he stays out of trouble LOL
    He will be missed in SF

Deleted
    Harvin is almost certainly gone.
    There's really not much question about it. Harvin was a bad pickup from the get-go and I'm pretty sure the Jets are looking to get rid of him.

Revis? Hm. It'll take some serious maths to keep him around now but let's not write him off just yet. He's been a really important part this year so I doubt he'll walk without some kind of structured deal that'll offer what can be allowed for it all to work out..

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MaahStud View Post
    Never been impressed with Gore?
    He's a workhorse, rarely injured 1000+ yards every year almost
    And he stays out of trouble LOL
    He will be missed in SF
    Exactly.

I think he's a somewhat underrated (feels weird to write that!) back in the NFL as he conducts himself well and has been consistant at one of the hardest positions to be consistant at. He's been a stable workhorse for years and years... BUT..

Nobody ever actualy talks much about him. I mean, sure, SF will miss him and I feel he'll add some strenght and stability the Eagles need to be competitive, especially now that Shady is gone..

But he's 31 years old..

10+ Year Old Account
    There's really not much question about it. Harvin was a bad pickup from the get-go and I'm pretty sure the Jets are looking to get rid of him.

Revis? Hm. It'll take some serious maths to keep him around now but let's not write him off just yet. He's been a really important part this year so I doubt he'll walk without some kind of structured deal that'll offer what can be allowed for it all to work out..

- - - Updated - - -

Exactly.

I think he's a somewhat underrated (feels weird to write that!) back in the NFL as he conducts himself well and has been consistant at one of the hardest positions to be consistant at. He's been a stable workhorse for years and years... BUT..

Nobody ever actualy talks much about him. I mean, sure, SF will miss him and I feel he'll add some strenght and stability the Eagles need to be competitive, especially now that Shady is gone..

But he's 31 years old..
    1) Seahawks get a 4th rounder instead of a 6th rounder if he's on the roster, so Harvin is as good as gone. No idea why the Jets have held on to him till now (after the Marshall signing).

2) Revis is a shrewd dude. He's leveraging the Jets and the Patriots against eachother, making sure both will pay. I think the Patriots dealt a blow to the Jets chances by re-siging McCourty. Revis knows he can just come back to a stable, championship quality secondary in New England, compared to a complete unknown in NY. It will come down to how much money both teams are willing to put on the table, and I'm sure Revis will get what he wants either way.

3) Gore is one of those guys you always go "Oh yeah, he's pretty good" about, but where nothing really comes to mind when it comes to highlights or amazing performances. He's just a steady guy, always delivers, but won't have crazy games where he takes over and wins you the game on his own.

I've heard rumours that Eagles are going to a more power run offense and Gore is a better fit as McCoy (as would Ingram have been, who they also courted).

10+ Year Old Account
    Makes you wonder what the Raiders are going to do. They've missed out on Suh, Cobb and Julius Thomas and they need to spend a gigantic load of cash. Not sure how they are going to get that done, if not by spending more then they should on second rate players.
    They're about $20 million off the cap floor. Losing out on Suh was hard, but there's no way a team in rebuild could justify what he went for, losing Cobb hurt more. The market for quality receivers this year in FA is low when you take him out of it. Thomas is an up in the air deal, his numbers are great, but are they Manning inflated? That's been the biggest question with him.

However, it's not exactly like there isn't quality left in FA when you take the big number names off the board. There's still Knighton, and with Suh in Miami, Odrick is suddenly looking to be the guy on the outs. With Wiz having pretty much talked his way out of Oakland, they need a new center, and the Rodney Hudson rumour mill has been moving all weekend.

No real receivers left in Free Agency (but it could well be that if they plan to build through a talented draft stock) but there's both Gresham and Cameron at TE, Greshamn's been linked with Oakland since before Thomas was taken off the board.
    Last edited by Northern Goblin; 2015-03-09 at 03:58 AM.
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is how close it came to safety Devin McCourty not returning to the New England Patriots: As the negotiating process was winding down Sunday, McCourty and head coach Bill Belichick had a phone conversation in which McCourty thanked him for a great five years with the franchise.

Unfortunately, McCourty told him, it looked like he was ready to move on. The Eagles, Giants and Jaguars were three teams making the strongest push, with the Titans also in the mix, and there was a deal with another team that McCourty was ready to accept.

It was at that point that Belichick and the Patriots stepped up to levels they hadn't in the process. Their final offer of five years for $47.5 million with $28.5 million in total guarantees (a record number of total guarantees for a safety) swayed McCourty's decision at the last moment.
    Source: http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-e...urty-extension

Wow. McCourty was THAT close to being gone, and they managed to reel him back in. Amazing.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's pretty crucial for New England to retain, not sure they'd be able to get close to his quality, even with his numbers dipping slightly last year, had he left.
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

Deleted
    Yeah, picking up McCourty was important but I don't exactly agree with the magnitude of his contract..

I mean, the Pats need the kind of quality that he provides but at the same time I feel he's being overpaid just because there were other teams who wanted him, too. The blog post Xskarma brought up illustrates that aswell with the whole "Yeah, bye guys I get moar moneh elsewhere" to which the Pats responded by.. paying him more.

I know, I know, that's how it works and all but it still strikes a wrong chord with me..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Goblin View Post
    That's pretty crucial for New England to retain, not sure they'd be able to get close to his quality, even with his numbers dipping slightly last year, had he left.
    No way they would have. There's no one even close to him in free agency, and there's 1 (maybe 2 if you count Shaq Thompson) in the draft that might eventually, one day, possibly, maybe be at his level. We absolutely needed either him or Revis back to have a functional secondary this season.

About the Raiders: That Knighton suggestion might actually be a REALLY good get for the Raiders. He's one of those guys you can safely throw a big contract at (but not CRAZY big) and you'll know he'll deliver. The Del Rio connection is probably a big help in that department as well. Knighton is 28. Give him a 4 year deal, front load it so the last 2 years are not too painfull to get out of in case he ages badly, and BAM. Defense gets better up the middle and Raiders spend some much needed cash. Doubt many people will run on the Raiders then next year + he's a decent pocket pusher as well to help with the pass rush.

I hope the Raiders get him, I like this idea.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, picking up McCourty was important but I don't exactly agree with the magnitude of his contract..

I mean, the Pats need the kind of quality that he provides but at the same time I feel he's being overpaid just because there were other teams who wanted him, too. The blog post Xskarma brought up illustrates that aswell with the whole "Yeah, bye guys I get moar moneh elsewhere" to which the Pats responded by.. paying him more.

I know, I know, that's how it works and all but it still strikes a wrong chord with me..
    I see it as Belichick and Nick Caserio (who is probably the real master mind behind this) knowing they'd always get a chance to make a last offer before McCourty walked away, and they used it to feel out the competition and make a competitive offer they could live with.

I'm pretty much 100% certain Revis will get the same treatment. They'll wait him out till they get a feeling about what the Jets (and I've heard the Chiefs too) are offering and then make him a final offer they can live with. Revis then gets to decide if it's close enough to his other offers to take less money to stay. (Cause I don't doubt the Patriots won't offer him what the Jets will).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by The Cheat View Post

EDIT: Looks like the Raiders are after C Rodney Hudson from the Chiefs as well since we probably won't be able to afford him.
    I read sort of past this post earlier cause I was posting about McCourty and reading, but Justin Houston is franchise tagged. He may want a HUGE Suh like extension, but he's in KC for this season unless he holds out for some reason (which would be kinda silly given the size of the contract tag he's gotten).

He may not like that he's still in KC, but he needs to put on his big boy pants and realise he's getting paid top dollar AND is guaranteed a big extension from KC OR free agency status next year. Either way the dude should know he's getting paid, regardless of what happens this season.

- - - Updated - - -

Haha, this just goes to show how crazy Off season is. This is NOT a fake twitter account (though there's plenty of those as well) it's a reputable source to some degree, but the news it's breaking is SO ludicrous that you basically have to just laugh and ignore it untill more connected sources come out with the same stories.

Source: https://twitter.com/JaysonBraddock/s...92783979900929

BREAKING NEWS: 49ers have put Colin Kaepernick on the trading block. Taking offers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Kaepernick news
    Wait. Holy shit.
    Is that real?

EDIT: damn :/

GM Trent Baalke strongly denies the 49ers are shopping Colin Kaepernick.
    https://twitter.com/MaioccoCSN/statu...08675379892224
    Last edited by WskyDK; 2015-03-09 at 05:52 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    This offseason is already much more exciting than the last. I didn't really Suh going to the Dolphins, but I think it's a smart move overall.

I'm also interested to see the Eagles offense with two veteran running backs at the helm. Strange choice made by Chip and Co.