10+ Year Old Account

Feels like wasted potential having no campaign mode

Anyone else agree on this? With such an amazing world and character roster they've built for Overwatch, I am extremely surprised they are not going to have any form of single player mode. I was disappointed to see that announcement. I want to learn more about the backstories of the characters and explore the world. Especially after that insane trailer video (was that shit made by pixar or something?)

I hope that if this franchise takes off that they consider a single player/story mode, or something to expand it more than just shoot each other in the face.
    Roboctopus of STAY MAD - Sargeras
    http://staymad.enjin.com/

Deleted
    They've said that they are hopefully going to be expanding the story outside of the game, with more animated things like the cinematic hopefully. Gunning for a full on web series myself. The point I think is that in the past, in WoW there have been loads of complaints about Blizzard sacrificing lore for game play. So now they're experimenting with mostly separating the two. The game is just a bit of fun, the lore is going to be in comics and web series and cinematics.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Roboctopus View Post
    Something to expand it more than just shoot each other in the face.
    I understand where you're coming from, but this is honestly the main reason people want to play this game. There are enough amazing single player games out there.

Not sure why people are so surprised or request backstory and caring about who each character is.

Here is which character is what:

"We wasted resources on trying to make Titan, it failed cause we realized a combination of Second Life and Western MMO was gonna fail hard and we took the engine and pieces from it and we created Overwatch to get the money back and make some more."

There is your backstory and why there isnt one.

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Hehe, Blizzard is pretty good at making trailers without Pixar

But, yeah..would have like a SP mode, not sure (with all the appeal the characters have) that I will play this game as multiplayer only. I am just to old to be competitive at this shit
    Who says you need to be competetive? Why not just do like most FPS game players do, and jump on periodically to let off some steam?
    "Let's see. There are monkeys that evolved into men and monkeys that didn't. Just as well, there are men that remained men and men that evolved into something else. Do you really think humans are the ultimate form of evolution? How arrogant."
    --Kakurine, Evil Zone for PS1

honestly, games like these don't translate well into story modes unless you do something like MK9/X

better for them to focus on the arena combat and use alternative methods to bring out the story, maybe even use new map releases to do so.

LIke the recent map they revealed, where we're establishing OverWatch HQ and attempting to send a broad signal to summon the old overwatch members, but ofcourse the enemy faction is gonna take issue with that.

I personally would love it, and they would someday do something like that if the IP really takes off. It's Blizzard; they definitely wouldn't pass up a chance to make spin-offs and $$$ from a franchise. But were gonna have to wait and see if OW gets popular enough in the first place for that to happen, which will be at least a few years.

I do miss the days when MP and SP games weren't so segregated. Having a game set in the Overwatch universe with something like Mass Effect story would be incredible.

It's based around team synergies and things so I'm thinking it wouldn't be so great single player.

I'm hoping they'll add something to the game to explore the story/characters/universe more though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    It's based around team synergies and things so I'm thinking it wouldn't be so great single player.

I'm hoping they'll add something to the game to explore the story/characters/universe more though.
    They won't. It's like TF2 does it - all the lore and backstory and such will be presented outside the game.
    "Let's see. There are monkeys that evolved into men and monkeys that didn't. Just as well, there are men that remained men and men that evolved into something else. Do you really think humans are the ultimate form of evolution? How arrogant."
    --Kakurine, Evil Zone for PS1

Quote Originally Posted by Protar View Post
    They've said that they are hopefully going to be expanding the story outside of the game, with more animated things like the cinematic hopefully. Gunning for a full on web series myself. The point I think is that in the past, in WoW there have been loads of complaints about Blizzard sacrificing lore for game play. So now they're experimenting with mostly separating the two. The game is just a bit of fun, the lore is going to be in comics and web series and cinematics.

I wouldn't doubt if they are trying to expand on what Valve is doing with TF2. That with the popularity of the lore of warcraft outside the game just seems right for them to add more depth to it and leave the game itself just a game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tidezen View Post
    I personally would love it, and they would someday do something like that if the IP really takes off. It's Blizzard; they definitely wouldn't pass up a chance to make spin-offs and $$$ from a franchise. But were gonna have to wait and see if OW gets popular enough in the first place for that to happen, which will be at least a few years.

I do miss the days when MP and SP games weren't so segregated. Having a game set in the Overwatch universe with something like Mass Effect story would be incredible.
    godddd yes
    Roboctopus of STAY MAD - Sargeras
    http://staymad.enjin.com/

Quote Originally Posted by ChaosWolf View Post
    They won't. It's like TF2 does it - all the lore and backstory and such will be presented outside the game.
    As long as it's not in crappy novels written by people like Knaak...

Please?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Meh, not interested. Games renowned for their MP should focus on MP and vice versa.
    Now you see it. Now you don't.

But was where Dalaran?

Considering the "quality" of blizzard writing, I'd say we are probably better off this way.
    The night is dark and full of terrors...