Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Gawian View Post
    Does sound quite good then.

That is one of the things that bugs me about this game. Cartel Coins. In-game shop.
    Is it Pay2Win, or can you get shop gear in game, it just takes longer??
    Not even close really. It's pretty much cosmetic stuff. There were a few items when it first launched that had some stats in them at lower levels but you quickly outlevel the gear it didn't really matter. I wouldn't consider it P2W at all now.

I'm not interested in rushing to get the best gear because I'd rather experience everything the game has to offer rather than rush to the end game stuff, but I am concerned that unless I spend money, I'll be quite weak gearwise.

Also, what does the preferred status do??
    You will be a bit weaker as a F2P or preferred unless you get the use artifact equipment token that opens up all gear use to you. It's one of the restrictions that just doesn't make sense. IF all your going to do is play very casually and just want to see the story it's no big deal. If you want more out of the game, you may have to pay some cash for it or get it off the GTN as a F2P/preferred player (the problem buying it off the GTN is it might be above your credit cap if your a F2P/preferred player.) Maybe you know a sub that can buy it for you and you pay them back over time if you really don't want to spend real money. I know I've done that for a few people I know.
    Last edited by quras; 2015-03-25 at 02:31 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Let's not turn this into a Game vs Game thread (just a warning). It seems at least a little discussion is happening here, so I'll leave it be.

That is one of the things that bugs me about this game. Cartel Coins. In-game shop.
    I'm not interested in rushing to get the best gear because I'd rather experience everything the game has to offer rather than rush to the end game stuff, but I am concerned that unless I spend money, I'll be quite weak gearwise.

It is not P2W. So do not despair. It's P2Convenient or P2Sexy...that's really the extent of it as a sub. As a Freep, it's P2RemovePayWalls.

Preferred gives you a few more un-lockables (convenience features) than a freep account.
    Last edited by OpposedByMyThumbs; 2015-03-25 at 04:09 PM.

The Cartel Market sells cosmetic stuff (mounts, gear skins, emotes etc) and unlocks - extra crew skills (f2p are limited to 1 without unlocks), extra cargo hold access etc. All of those you can buy off GTN for credits though. For some you might have to find a subscriber to get them for you and arrange some kind of exchange since they are more expensive than a f2p player credit cap.

The best gear (artifact, think epics in WoW, it's even purple) is behind a moderately expensive, in credits or cartel coins, unlock for f2p. Not like you really need it before 50 though, 99% of all gear you find while leveling is blue at best.

Preferred status=less restrictions than free to play.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Goshko View Post
    The Cartel Market sells cosmetic stuff (mounts, gear skins, emotes etc) and unlocks - extra crew skills (f2p are limited to 1 without unlocks), extra cargo hold access etc. All of those you can buy off GTN for credits though. For some you might have to find a subscriber to get them for you and arrange some kind of exchange since they are more expensive than a f2p player credit cap.

The best gear (artifact, think epics in WoW, it's even purple) is behind a moderately expensive, in credits or cartel coins, unlock for f2p. Not like you really need it before 50 though, 99% of all gear you find while leveling is blue at best.

Preferred status=less restrictions than free to play.
    OK. Thanks for the advice.

I'll give it a month or two as a subscriber to see what it's like. Thank you for your help.

This has also become my new MMO. I've always loved Star Wars, but didn't want to play both TOR and WoW at the same time. I'm leveling a Jedi Knight first (basically to see KOTOR3) and I'm having a fun time. I like the on rails space game too, it reminds me of the old arcade games. I'm thinking of leveling a Trooper or Smuggler next since I like how they both play. Maybe an Imperial Agent since everyone says they have the best story.

Quote Originally Posted by Aberrict View Post
    This has also become my new MMO. I've always loved Star Wars, but didn't want to play both TOR and WoW at the same time.
    It's pretty amazing for the longer breaks between raid tiers isn't it

Familiar enough to be comfortable and safe, different enough to be fresh and exciting.

Many people still think WoD is the best expansion so far, myself included (atleast since tbc but everyone likes the old expansions because they were new to the game back then)

on the point, i tried swtor in its early days and it just felt horribly clunky. Have they improved on the engine/mechanics yet, would it be worth it to try it again?

Quote Originally Posted by Wanhaparta View Post
    Many people still think WoD is the best expansion so far, myself included (atleast since tbc but everyone likes the old expansions because they were new to the game back then)

on the point, i tried swtor in its early days and it just felt horribly clunky. Have they improved on the engine/mechanics yet, would it be worth it to try it again?
    The question is meaningless since you're asking if you'll feel different. No one but you can answer that.

Besides the game is free, unless you have a limit to your downloads it'll cost you absolutely nothing to try. Run the downloader in the background while doing something else, try the game when it's ready.

P.S. The mods asked to limit the game vs game.
    Last edited by Goshko; 2015-03-26 at 11:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Saucerian View Post
    For the first time in about two years, out of boredom and disgust with WoD.

To my surprise I was really enjoying it, even though I've already seen much of the class stories. It was refreshing to play an MMO RPG rather than a shoddy MMO Facebook-FPS whose latest touted features are selfies and Twitter integration.

Perhaps ironically it's because TOR copied WoW when the latter was still at its peak, and unlike it, hasn't messed much with the core mechanics.

And the newbie zone's general chat was filled with people actually answering questions and offering advice. Talk about a bizarro experience.
    I recently made the TOR leap, and I'm really enjoying it as well. I'm not sure why I ever doubted BioWare on this one, although I will probably go back to WoW soon, but this time around play a little of both.
    LFGdating
    Currently playing: WoW, D3, SC2, and wait for it ... Red Alert 3. (And possibly some Goldeneye here or there.)

Quote Originally Posted by anakin57 View Post
    I recently made the TOR leap, and I'm really enjoying it as well. I'm not sure why I ever doubted BioWare on this one, although I will probably go back to WoW soon, but this time around play a little of both.
    We'll you were probably like the rest of us. The game launched pretty solid but it quickly fizzled out because of the engine and a lack of end content.

Thats not so much a problem anymore. The engine has been optimized a bit but it still has some trouble with a large number of characters but overall it's is much better than what it was and there is a decent amount of content for new or returning players.

SWTOR still has it's hiccups and if the latest rumors are true and EA/BW did indeed add more staff to the game to make things better (all because of the coming movie) then the game should be better off for it over time.

I've always liked BW so I see potential here.

Deleted
    I loved swtor. The tankasin is still my fav class EVER of any mmo. I just can't play it again when they removed the tankasins self healing they wrecked the class for everyone who wasn't a nightmare mode raider and I logged in to find the content I could do I just couldn't do any more I tried since then, I really tried, but everytime I log in i recall how beutiful my tankasin was and how much I was in love with it and the happy times we had together. I loved Swtor. Thats why I can't play its shadow anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by nightgerbil View Post
    I loved swtor. The tankasin is still my fav class EVER of any mmo. I just can't play it again when they removed the tankasins self healing they wrecked the class for everyone who wasn't a nightmare mode raider and I logged in to find the content I could do I just couldn't do any more I tried since then, I really tried, but everytime I log in i recall how beutiful my tankasin was and how much I was in love with it and the happy times we had together. I loved Swtor. Thats why I can't play its shadow anymore.
    I know it's not the same and there is a slight nerf incoming...but one of the shadow/assassins dps specs (serenity/madness) has a great amount of self heals. It is not a tank, but has nice aoe dot spread and heals itself well. It should keep performing well enough for open world and SM Ops. It has a new move called (serenity/leeching strike) that heals for what it hits for. The specs heals are really it's form of mitigation. Also with the new talent system you can pick some of the tank talents to compliment it if that is to your taste.

I just came back to the game, and even though this spec is getting nerfed some...I intend to keep maining it. I love it. I don't run NM OPs or PvP super hard so it works for me.

Deleted
    yeah its a good game, what's with the wow hate though? it's like everyone thinks you can only like one MMO and if you play WoW you're missing out because ITS SUCH A BAD GAME NOT EVEN AN RPG ANY MORE.

meanwhile blocky movement and laggy engine in swtor. it is a great game though. love the pvp in this game way more than in wow. pve i prefer wow though. so smooth