Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I think the large majority of people who play World of Warcraft today are people who have been playing the game for many years already. Personally i'm 25 years old and most of the other people in my guild are also around that age.

Saying the average player is about 18 years old is not correct in my experience. I would argue it's more 22-23

10+ Year Old Account
    Prby 22 - 27 years old, but the forums I'm guessing 14-16 years old.

Deleted
    Its a number that keeps increasing as the total player count keeps slowly dropping

Study has already been done...I should find a link but I am lazy. The average age is 37.

IRL : 22-30
    In-Game : 12-14

Elemental Lord Lady Dragonheart's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Amongst the Wilds, or in my Garrison... >.>
    Quote Originally Posted by middling View Post
    I'm 46 so I throw the average way off, sorry mates
    I'm 46 as well... We're both outliers... >.<
    I am both the Lady of Dusk, Vheliana Nightwing & Dark Priestess of Lust, Loreleî Legace!
    ~~ ~~
    <3 ~ I am also the ever-enticing leader of <The Coven of Dusk Desires> on Moon Guard!

If I were to pick one age I would say about 28 years old.

The game came out in 2004 so a lot of those people would have been around 18, now 10 years later they are 28.

At least that is my (probably flawed) reasoning.

18 + 18 + 45 /3 = 27

The average age is 27

The median is 31.5

Numbers are deceptions. There are more younger players that play than older, they drive the average number down a lot.

10+ Year Old Account
    Right now? I think it is mid 20s to late 30s.

I think that when tokens go on sale for in-game gold, that may change things. A ton of today's teens and college kids only play "free to play" games. By putting in the gold-token-gametime system, Blizzard is essentially allowing people to treat their game as "free to play". So the percentage of younger customers, which tend to be poorer, may grow.

10+ Year Old Account
    According to the PlayOn study a few years ago, and the the Daedalus Project before it, the average age is mid to late 30s. They're old studies, so they may not longer be accurate, but if anything that might mean the average age is higher.

I think people tend to assume everyone is super young kid in game just because everyone is in denial about how childish adults can act on the internets.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm gunna say 30...there are a ton of 40-somethings playing this game and I feel like they balanced out the younger kids.

I would say 26-28 years old as most of us started playing back in high school like I did and have played ever since so 26-28 years old is my guess.

I started at age 20 and will be 30 in two months.

From what I've seen personally, most of my friends/guildies are now in the 20-30 range, with a few of them in the 30-35 range. But I have also had guildies/friends as young as 12 (we gave one of them a lot of shit because you could hear in the background on his Ventrilo when his mom would yell at him that it's time to get off the computer and go to bed) and as old as 60+.

So my guess based on what I've seen is right around 25-26.
    Last edited by Ciddy; 2015-03-18 at 08:07 PM.

You will get three types of answers;

Player believes they represent the majority, the way they play is the way most everyone plays (even if you are in a top 5% raid guild) and are generally incapable of looking outside of themselves to notice the rest of the world, "What ever age I am." They tend to only join guilds with people who are around thier own age group so 'everyone I know is my age group.'

Player thinks the majority of players are stupid and are represented by what ever age group is the opposite of thier own, "The game is filled with kids." or "The game is filled with a bunch of 40 year old virgin neckbeards." What ever I am not is stupid therefore everyone else is what I am not.

Then you get the rest who really don't care what age group you belong to as long as you know how to behave yourself in an amicable way and want to have some fun playing a video game.

In my mind the average gamer is 12-45.

25-30

I'm 19 myself, playing since early BC

I will say this though, GenX started in the 60's and ended around 1980, the millenials went from the 80's to the 2000's. When Warcraft came out in 2005 Gen X was between 45-25, Millenials were between 25 and 5.

The average Gen Xer was either finishing college or working (They entered the workforce between 18-24) with possible family, they tend to be more casual. Generation X tended to look for careers/homes in their early to mid 20's.

The Average Millenial were the kids in school at that time who had more game time on thier hands, they in thier teen years tended to be more hardcore players, and as of lately have been running into 'real life'. The average Millenial tends to look for careers/homes in their late 20's to early 30's.

The kids between the 2000's to present have yet to gain a generational norm and are currently called 'Generation Z' (Millenials were Generation Y) as they have yet to develope a more mainstream name.

The effects of generational differences have had quite interesting effects on playstyles and mindsets in gaming. One generation growing up with more hardcore time and the other which had to balance more real life with game.

Deleted
    Judging by trade chat, about 14-15 years old

Right around 30. I've heard way too many gruff old man voices to think otherwise.

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Based on general chat? About 15 years old.

Based on people I actually interact with? About 30 years old.

Ages of people I know play currently include several 18 thru 22 year olds (college kids), a dozen or so in their 20s, at least 1/2 dozen in their 30s, and at least 5 in their 40s. I have run into a woman who was well in her 60s that played many years ago.

Deleted
    23-28 is my bet. Many started playing in their teens and by now have grown up.

The 2nd biggest age group is still propably around 16-18/21.