Page 1 of 76
... LastLast

[Books] What are you reading right now?

What are you reading now and what genre is it?

I'm currently reading: The Girl Who Played with Fire by Stieg Larsson (crime/mystery).

It's the 2nd book of the series and here's the plot summary from wikipedia:
    Mikael Blomkvist, publisher of Millennium magazine, has made his living exposing the crooked and corrupt practices of establishment Swedish figures. So when a young journalist named Dag Svensson approaches him with a meticulously researched thesis about sex trafficking in Sweden and those in high office who abuse underage girls, Blomkvist immediately throws himself into the investigation.

Blomkvist plans to run the story in an upcoming issue of Millennium. But shortly before the printing of the story, Dag Svensson and his partner are found shot to death in their apartment. Lisbeth Salander quickly becomes the primary murder suspect, as the police discover incriminating evidence against her at the scene of the crime. The next day, Salander's guardian, Nils Bjurman, is also found dead in his bedroom, shot with the same weapon.

Blomkvist tries to clear her name, although he can’t find her anywhere. When he does eventually make contact, it is to discover that Salander is more embroiled in his investigation than he could have thought possible. It turns out that for Salander, the trail of guilt leads close to home.
    <3
    Class: Alli Priest
    Spec: Holy/ Shadow
    Horde Alts @ 85: Mage, Lock, DK, Paladin

I am about to begin the new George R. R. Martin book.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    The Game, by Neil Strauss. That book is amazing!

10+ Year Old Account
    In Sylvan Shadows, the second book in The Cleric Quintet by R.A. Salvatore.

Almost done with it, actually. I think I have like, 12 pages left.

Deleted
    I'm going to start reading the Lord of the Rings trilogy. Loved the movies but I was left with the feeling that there must be so much more...so I should read the whole thing.

Deleted
    H.P Lovecraft's Necronomicon. For those who don't know, it's basically a compendium of the more well known Lovecraft stories and poems. I'm not really a big reader, and the fact that it's usually smaller stories means I can pick it up and put it back down again easily, cos I normally don't have the time to just stop and read. I should really put more time aside :/

I'm about half way through, and I really reccomend it. My favourite short story so far would be either 'Herbert West - Reanimator' or 'The Music of Erich Zann'. It's really chilling stuff.

A dance with dragons by r r martin

Quote Originally Posted by SarSil View Post
    I'm going to start reading the Lord of the Rings trilogy. Loved the movies but I was left with the feeling that there must be so much more...so I should read the whole thing.
    Make sure to start with The Hobbit. I've actually been meaning to re-read all the books because I loved them when I first read them... couldn't put a single one down XD
    <3
    Class: Alli Priest
    Spec: Holy/ Shadow
    Horde Alts @ 85: Mage, Lock, DK, Paladin

Parasite Rex by Carl Zimmer. It's a non-fiction overview of parasites (primarily internal parasites) and their importance and impact on the rest of the living organisms, as well as some interesting history on the topic and some quirky characters he's met along the way in learning about this. It's helped me gain an increased appreciation for the topic as I've only recently become interested in it after finishing Lost City of Z (a book focusing on Percy Fawcett's last journey into the Amazon as well as a history of exploration in the region). Incredibly fascinating if you aren't grossed out by the whole topic (for example, here is a picture of an isopod which eats the tongue of fish and then takes its place, functioning as a tongue for the fish while intercepting food it eats).
    Last edited by Neichus; 2011-07-30 at 12:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aphrel View Post
    A dance with dragons by r r martin
    Same here but I'm keeping my pace at a chapter per day. The quicker I finish, the more days I have to endure the anticipation of next book.

Reading 'A Game of Thrones', almost finished with it and I've got 'A Clash of Kings' to tuck into straight after.

10+ Year Old Account
    After polishing off A Dance with Dragons, I read World War Z, and now I'm reading Lord of the Rings. I never read it before. Odd that.

After I'm finished with that, I'll likely re-read ADWD. Then I'll find something new to read. I'm considering "American Gods." I had never heard of it, but since HBO just optioned it, my curiosity is piqued.

Just started Game of Thrones after falling in love with the TV show. Have A clash of kings, a storm of swords, a feast of crows and a dance with dragons all ready to go for after.

Currently I'm reading this thread.

Book-wise, I'm reading Rant by Palahniuk.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

Read - Chuck Palahniuk's Invisible Monsters
    Reading - Phillip K Dick's Do Androids dream of Electric Sheep? (Blade Runner)
    Next up - Haruki Murakami's The Elephant Vanishes

---------- Post added 2011-07-30 at 07:48 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    Currently I'm reading this thread.

Book-wise, I'm reading Rant by Palahniuk.
    Great choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Disenchanted View Post
    After I'm finished with that, I'll likely re-read ADWD. Then I'll find something new to read. I'm considering "American Gods." I had never heard of it, but since HBO just optioned it, my curiosity is piqued.
    I'd have to second American Gods. Neil Gaiman is a great author.

As for me, I recently started Infinite Jest. I've been on a big David Foster Wallace kick after reading A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmak View Post
    I'd have to second American Gods. Neil Gaiman is a great author.

As for me, I recently started Infinite Jest. I've been on a big David Foster Wallace kick after reading A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again.
    That book is absolutely incredible.
    The story behind it is absolutely tragic as well, the fictional movie from within the book is a metaphor for the book itself and DFW's depression. After finishing it DFW just wasn't happy with any of his other projects, and ultimately ended his life before finishing his final book.

The short second life of bree tanner.
    If you've ever read eclipse, you'll probably remember the girl that they had to execute after the battle of newborns.
    This is the story of her short vampire life.
    My Tumblr. (:
    My warlock.
    My Paladin.
    My Lolking
    Lel I bought my spectral tiger from the horde auction house at 9 in the morning for the sweet sweet price of 1c.

Quote Originally Posted by WhenInRome View Post
    The short second life of bree tanner.
    If you've ever read eclipse, you'll probably remember the girl that they had to execute after the battle of newborns.
    This is the story of her short vampire life.
    You make me sad. Enjoying the movies is one thing... but the books? Really?
    She's quite possibly the most overrated fiction author of our generation.

Deleted
    Tommyknockers by Stephen King. I read Cell and rather enjoyed it so thought I would pick up another of his and this sounded quite similar. Left it in a caravan abot 2 hours away where my parents are for the week so will pick it back up when they come back with it.