Deleted

Question Divinity: Original Sin, Shadowrun Returns or Wasteland 2?

Divinity: Original Sin, Shadowrun Returns, Wasteland 2 - I'm thinking about trying out one of these games but can't really decide which one I should buy.

Can you guys give me the best and the worst aspects of each game? Which one would you recommend the most?

Thanks for answers.

Deleted
    really interested in wasteland 2 aswell.. ive played the other two and i would pick divinity as its longer, more depth and imo better. (on way to work in a min so cant give a bigger answer).

Deleted
    They're all very good games, I'd say go with whichever setting appeals to you the most.

Deleted
    They're all 7/10 material. Take Divinity, it's the most bang for your buck.

Or buy Pillars of Eternity, it's old school Baldur's Gate and releases tomorrow evening.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by gowron View Post
    They're all very good games, I'd say go with whichever setting appeals to you the most.
    Yeah, let's not grossly exaggerate here.

Deleted
    Divinity was better of those three imo.

From a combat perspective, Divinity wins hands down, IMO. However, while the story starts out great, it begins to falter in the second area (to me, at least). It does allow for a decent number of builds, and as such the game can be more or less challenging depending on which builds you go for, and it can have good replayability due to how great combat is (IMO). Divinity can also be played multiplayer.

I really enjoyed Shadowrun, though I felt it was a bit too linear. I would have loved to have seen the "hub" allow a small number of optional side missions. Combat is solid, though a bit on the easy side. There were no mid-mission saves when I played (I think this has been patched in?), but that didn't bother me any (I only ever died once, other than the final boss fight). Story was decent, characters were pretty good as well.

Wasteland 2, from what little I have played (<20 hrs), is pretty good as well. There are a number of choices to be made in the game that can affect other locations and events, which really adds to replayability. Combat is OK, but is at the edge of being a little too simplistic. That said, it can still be a little challenging at times due to the number of enemies and/or getting surrounded. The color palette can get a little boring as well, but that comes with the territory of being post-apocalyptic.

I believe all 3 games support mods, though I have not delved into any yet.

Also, as Potato said, Pillars of Eternity comes out tomorrow, which looks to be quite stellar.

All three are excellent. I have a preference for Shadowrun Returns due to setting and combat style. Though as I said, all three are very well made games. Divinity probably has the best combat dynamic of any party based CRPG ever made.

Shadowrun: Dragonfall improves on Returns in pretty much every way possible. So if you want Shadowrun I'd try that instead.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cakka View Post
    Shadowrun: Dragonfall improves on Returns in pretty much every way possible. So if you want Shadowrun I'd try that instead.
    I'm a bit confused about this actually...the language used to describe dragonfall makes it seem like an expansion and like a remade game with additional content. I started playing SRR, but I wanted to ask if I should just uninstall it and play Dragonfall if it has the same beginning story...care to shed light on that?
    BAD WOLF

Quote Originally Posted by Kelimbror View Post
    I'm a bit confused about this actually...the language used to describe dragonfall makes it seem like an expansion and like a remade game with additional content. I started playing SRR, but I wanted to ask if I should just uninstall it and play Dragonfall if it has the same beginning story...care to shed light on that?
    Dragonfall is completely seperate game with its own story. It was originally released as a DLC to SRR, but Harebrained Schemes kept working on it and released it as a standalone game last fall. It's actually quite a bit bigger game than SRR now, and benefits lot from the things HS has learned over the last couple years working on the SR games.

I enjoyed both Shadowrun Returns and Dragonfall. Dragonfall does have some improvements but if you haven't played either, then both are worth a play through.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Ok thanks....I thought I was correct to play the first game, but the descriptions were confusing. I played about an hour and was really amazed at the great aesthetic and story, but I want to play it when I can sit down and actually go through the whole game so I put it on the backburner for now.
    BAD WOLF

Personally having played them all, they are all great. I would agree to just pick the one with the theme you like the most. Or just watch some Youtube videos of them all to help you out.

I would also suggest looking into Pillars which someone else mentioned, there are a lot of review videos of it already and it looks really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Potato Critic View Post
    They're all 7/10 material. Take Divinity, it's the most bang for your buck.

Or buy Pillars of Eternity, it's old school Baldur's Gate and releases tomorrow evening.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, let's not grossly exaggerate here.
    Oh but he isn't. In fact I don't think he's emphasising just enough how good they are, especially D:OS
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Shadowrun Dragonfall is a superb game, even more so due to it being £10. Otherwise I'd see how Pillars of Eternity reviews before deciding on D:OS / WL2.

I'd say go for DOS. It's the most well made of the 3 with an amazing combat system. Runner up is Shadowrun ragonfall. While the original campaign was meh, Dragonfall is really really good imho with interesting characters and an awesome setting. Wasteland 2 i personally dislike because I think it's a worse version of the original Fallout games

I've been playing Divinity with my fiancee and its a great co-op game with lots and lots of depth, definetly suggest that one although havent even tried the other two.

On a related topic, can anyone suggest similiar co-op games for us to play? Her computer isn't really from the top end so kind of limited there but we were able to play divinity without any bigger problems so something similiar in terms of system requirements do any of the games mentioned above have co-op?

10+ Year Old Account
    Divinity was the most fun I've had in a turn-based RPG in a very, very long time. Combat wise, the game is insanely fun and strategic and definitely replayable (to me). The other up-sides is that it there are an immense amount of side-quests; each zones are huge and full with stuff to find/kill; boss fights are intense and very difficult (Unless you abuse certain things, like placing pottery around a boss and shooting him with arrows); and customizable main characters are always awesome (and they're fully voiced). Almost every ability is unique and has very satisfying sounds/effects. You can use elements against your enemies; such as conjuring a thunderstorm, and then electrocuting them when they're wet, or freezing them while their cold/damp. Enemies can trip over frozen ground (and so can you). If you're team is on fire, casting a water spell on them will put them out faster, etc...

The down-sides; the game does absolutely NO hand-holding, which means when you get a quest, it'll tell you jack shit about WHERE to complete/finish it--you have to figure it out, and this goes for every quest in the game, even main quests (although some are like "Go to the Cave of Doom!"), so you can easily get lost and confused. There is no new-game+, once you beat the game, that's it. The game holds a huge emphasis on exploring the entire world around you, so when you get a quest that says "Find this item of power", it can literally be under a rock in a random forest, or behind a hidden door with a switch hidden in a random nearby building.

P.S. a down-side/up-side. Doors are completely destructible, even super magic boss doors that require keys/or specific game goals to be met. Well, I got lost so bad at one point trying to find 1 item to complete the game (spending 3+ hours looking), I got fed up, and started hammering on the final boss door. It took about 10-15minutes of using a special weapon, but lo and behold that door busted without me pulling my hair out, and on I went to complete the game!

P.P.S. The game has co-op from start to finish. Somebody can join in and take control of your second main hero and proceed to kick ass with you!
    Last edited by Selindrile; 2015-03-26 at 11:13 AM. Reason: I can't remember things D:

Quote Originally Posted by Selindrile View Post
    P.S. a down-side/up-side. Doors are completely destructible, even super magic boss doors that require keys/or specific game goals to be met. Well, I got lost so bad at one point trying to find 1 item to complete the game (spending 3+ hours looking), I got fed up, and started hammering on the final boss door. It took about 10-15minutes of using a special weapon, but lo and behold that door busted without me pulling my hair out, and on I went to complete the game!
    Yeah at times it feels silly looking for a key when you know that you could just beat the door down but in the end thats realism too. I would have found it amusing if, say, in lotr instead of sauron opening the gates to mordor they'd have spent weeks chipping it down

Quote Originally Posted by Selindrile View Post
    Yeah, I didn't know how to open some huge doors it was in the mines I think, spent like an hour bashing on it breaking my weapons several time over in the process. It was kind of funny

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.