10+ Year Old Account

New Daily Show Host announced...

And the winner is......

Trevor Noah

"The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Interesting. I've enjoyed him on the bits he's been on. I haven't seen him at all outside of the daily show.

Personally I was hoping that Jason Jones would have taken over but my hopes were dashed on Thursday when they announced it was his last day.

That's really odd. He's only been there for a very short time. I wonder if a lot of the long time regulars just dont want to do it because they realize there is no daily show without john. I personally wont watch it. I stopped watching larry wilmore's show after 2 tries because its just not funny.
    Sadly john oliver is doing really well at HBO because he would be the best bet, but he is kind of doing a daily show lite there anyhow so i just started watching that.

This guy is funny, but i dont see him carrying the whole show

Really? Ever bit I've seen him on he's like a buzz kill and I didn't find him funny at all, but that joke from the clip above is pretty damn good.

10+ Year Old Account
    I guess Lewis Black wasn't available?

I mean, I guess it's hard to imagine ANYONE other than Jon Stewart hosting the show. But, Black had been there before, and he's really the only person who's politically and comedically around the same wavelengths as Stewart.

10+ Year Old Account
    From what I have read, it seems that Trevor Noah has quite a bit of experience as a host of both TV and radio shows in South Africa. I also heard that it is rumored that Comedy Central may have tried to get Amy Poehler, Louis C.K., and Amy Schumer all to take over from Stewart but all declined.

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post

I mean, I guess it's hard to imagine ANYONE other than Jon Stewart hosting the show. But, Black had been there before, and he's really the only person who's politically and comedically around the same wavelengths as Stewart.
    As much as I love Lewis Black, I am not sure he would be all that great as a host. He is amazing for short segments, but hosting a full show would be a little much.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would've though Asif Mandvi would've been a good choice, but i'm willing to give Trevor Noah a chance to win me over. He deserves that much i think.
    Hi

Quote Originally Posted by Skizzit View Post
    As much as I love Lewis Black, I am not sure he would be all that great as a host. He is amazing for short segments, but hosting a full show would be a little much.
    The poor guy would be dead in 6 months if he had to keep up his level of intensity for 4 days a week.

Louis C.K. would have been great, but I don't think it's his medium. Dark comedies which he has complete control over like Louie are right up his alley.

I like how there's already a controversy from the MSM about this guy because he made a joke about Jews like 3 years ago. People calling him anti-semitic. All sorts of comedians are like, "Nah, he just told some terrible jokes early in his career."

Honestly never heard of him.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    Honestly never heard of him.
    I hadn't either, he seems pretty funny.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Louis C.K. would have been great, but I don't think it's his medium. Dark comedies which he has complete control over like Louie are right up his alley.

I like how there's already a controversy from the MSM about this guy because he made a joke about Jews like 3 years ago. People calling him anti-semitic. All sorts of comedians are like, "Nah, he just told some terrible jokes early in his career."
    They tried to get Louis CK but he declined.

The whole "Jew joke" thing is overblown, I agree. He makes fun of all sorts of people, women, men, black, white, jew, muslim. "Insult comedy" is low hanging fruit and a lot of comedians do it basically.

Also its hilarious.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dasffion View Post
    The poor guy would be dead in 6 months if he had to keep up his level of intensity for 4 days a week.
    That was my thought when I read his name, he'd have an aneurysm :P
    You're a towel.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it's better to go with Noah than a big name. Jon himself wasn't a big name when he took over, and that gave him the opportunity to both grow into the role, and adapt the show to best fit himself. I think taking a long-time Daily Show correspondent would be a mistake; they had a role in the previous incarnation, and would try to keep it as Jon's show, essentially; Noah's been a correspondent, but for a short enough time that he's not going to have that same internalization I think.

Hopefully it's a smoother transition than the start of the Nightly Show was, though. That seemed pretty rough in the beginning. I'm sure if they've gotten this figured out this early, though, Stewart will give Noah more and more responsibility, easing the transition before he leaves for good.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've been watcching that show since before Jon Stewart hosted it. Idk about this new host. I don't think I'll be watching anymore.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post

Money might be an issue?
    idk....
    Guys like Black and C.K. are the top of the pack. They're probably pretty expensive to hire.
    Lewis Black essentially carries the torch that was passed onto him when George Carlin died. He's the only one around that fills this genre of political satire in the US. That would indeed make him the perfect match for the Daily Show... But also the most expensive one.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gumboy View Post
    They tried to get Louis CK but he declined.
    That's unconfirmed rumor stuff, born on Twitter, picked up by the usual suspects media..
    Neither Louis CK nor Amy Schumer would be even remotely fitting for the Daily Show.
    Because both have zero political affiliated comedy. Their comedy lies in other fields.
    Amy is pretty sexually oriented. Louis is pretty average Joe daily life episodes humor.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Quote Originally Posted by SL1200 View Post
    I've been watcching that show since before Jon Stewart hosted it. Idk about this new host. I don't think I'll be watching anymore.
    The Daily Show with Craig Kilborn was a completely different show than The Daily Show with Jon Stewart. The only thing remotely similar was the name. Not sure why you wouldn't at least give it a try though.

From the very short clips I've seen on Youtube, I thought Trevor Noah's deadpan style and political humour would bring a very different dynamic to the show as it moves on post-Jon Stewart. Seems like there's been quite some discussion behind why Trevor was chosen but maybe the producers want to head in a different direction with the new host?

10+ Year Old Account
    If anyone's seen the stand-up of Jamie Kilstein, he's more the style that I expected the show to grab. Like Lewis Black, but younger, and with stronger lungs.

Quote Originally Posted by Dasffion View Post
    The Daily Show with Craig Kilborn was a completely different show than The Daily Show with Jon Stewart. The only thing remotely similar was the name. Not sure why you wouldn't at least give it a try though.
    I stopped watching it when they brought on Stewart

Quote Originally Posted by drwelfare View Post
    I stopped watching it when they brought on Stewart
    Sorry to hear that. You missed out on years of great entertainment.