OW Cinematic Nominated for Award

http://blizzardwatch.com/2015/04/09/...d-webby-award/

Yay for Blizzard's CGI team! They deserve it!

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    1-Can a major corp really be nominated?
    2-Any actual news on Overwatch?
    "A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject."
    — Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by lokinrond713 View Post
    1-Can a major corp really be nominated?
    1) Gonna say yes:

Past winners include Amazon.com, eBay, SimplyHired.com, Kayak.com, Yahoo!, iTunes, Google, FedEx, BBC News, CNN, MSNBC, The New York Times, Annie Lennox, NPR, Salon Magazine, Facebook, Meetup, Wikipedia, Flickr, ESPN, Comedy Central, PBS, The Onion News Network, The Office Webisodes, SwiftKey, and My Damn Channel.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Webby_Award

2) Nope. "When it's done (TM)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by lokinrond713 View Post
    There was news just a few weeks ago.

And the cinematic deserves it, too!
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

It was a really excellent new concept cinematic IMO.

Not against the cinematic or anything but, their other cinematics had way more detail. Especially that WoD cinematic. You could see the drops of water on their teeth and the sweat on their skin. I mean I understand the artstyle is different however it has way less detail. I feel their others should get an award if anything.

What I'm trying to say is that the CGI team obviously had an easy time making this. Atleast for their expertise. Kinda funny how a CGI team that isn't independent is at the top of this industry while all these studios who's sole focus is to make these kind of cinematics for all these devs aren't even close.

It get's even funnier when the 2nd best is also non-independent (Square Enix's Visual Works). Ofc that can be up for debate.
    Last edited by Xilurm; 2015-04-26 at 02:28 AM.

Not interested in Overwatch but I did enjoy the cinematic. I'm pretty sure we will be seeing installments of short films from them for this IP and I will definitely watch even if I don't play the game.

Blizzard is only 2nd to one in terms of cinematics:

Eh, considering they are making most of the cinematics for the industry I'd put them at 3rd place at best.

Deleted
    aaand apparently they won "Best Editing 2015" http://www.webbyawards.com/winners/2.../best-editing/

Congratulations to the guys that work for Blizzard cinematics, wherever they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Brazorf View Post
    aaand apparently they won "Best Editing 2015" http://www.webbyawards.com/winners/2.../best-editing/

Congratulations to the guys that work for Blizzard cinematics, wherever they are.
    I remember the MoP intro cinematic was done by a third party, not sure if other Blizzard cinematics are in-house?

10+ Year Old Account
    If you watch the behind the scenes of their expansions/games they're all inhouse in the studio they have across the campus, with the recent inclusion of 'The Forge' in which they are making all the Lords of War and Shaohao stuff.

OT, pretty cool that they won, was a great piece of exposition for sure. But gotta agree that it's odd that some of thier past work wasn't on the list previously (that I know of), maybe it has to do with timing and accesablity.
    Last edited by Shampro; 2015-04-28 at 01:46 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    I remember the MoP intro cinematic was done by a third party, not sure if other Blizzard cinematics are in-house?
    as far as I remember all cinematics are inhouse, they have an entire cinematic team

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    That was done in-house. I remember watching on the behind the scenes DVD in the MoP Collector's Edition them going on about drawing each and every strand of Chen Stormstout's fur.

Maybe I'm misremembering, I'll have to try to track down the clip I was thinking of.