Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post
    I think Pokemon needs to start catering to their original fans who are in their 20s now.
    More likely even 30s, but yes. The last few generations of Pokemon games have had a lack of challenge, but endgame content with any bite has always been a niche element and never a major part of a franchise who's target age doesn't change, even if their audience does.

Also FE:3H and Astral Chain are my pre E3 hypes. Looking forward to seeing what we get after.

I dunno, I never thought I'd say this, but if Sword and Shield doesn't add some difficulty modes to the game, then it might be my last Pokemon game. LGPE added Co-op so my girlfriend wanted to play with me but it made it so mind numbingly easy. I just couldn't finish it. Sun and Moon was also really easy and kinda boring. I think Pokemon needs to start catering to their original fans who are in their 20s now. Make a baseline difficulty mode and then another harder difficulty mode. They did it for Pokemon Black, so I don't see why they can't do it again.
    Download pokemon insurgence if you haven't tried it, pretty much has all 700+ pokemon, new megas, deltas, primals. Multiple difficulty modes and optional extra difficulties like no healing/items/nuzlocke etc. easily better than any real pokemon game, certainly aimed at the older generation rather than children.
    Fan reaction was muted, but fan's reactions at BlizzCon confirmed Diablo Immortal will be well received by players around the world.
    "Do you guys not have phones?"
    "You think you do, but you don't"

I dunno, I never thought I'd say this, but if Sword and Shield doesn't add some difficulty modes to the game, then it might be my last Pokemon game. LGPE added Co-op so my girlfriend wanted to play with me but it made it so mind numbingly easy. I just couldn't finish it. Sun and Moon was also really easy and kinda boring. I think Pokemon needs to start catering to their original fans who are in their 20s now. Make a baseline difficulty mode and then another harder difficulty mode. They did it for Pokemon Black, so I don't see why they can't do it again.
    Its kind of funny that just the other day as part of a 20th anniversary of the anime the developers of the Digimon games talked about games like Digimon story Cybersleuth and the upcoming switch game Digimon Survive were made "because those original fans didn't go away, they just grew up and still love the series but want games that are not as simplistic and leading you by the hand" which is what pretty much everyone my age that started with red and blue have been wanting to hear from gamefreak for at least a decade now. On one hand it means we get great games like Digimon World Next Order, on the other i wouldn't be surprised if sword/shield has a tutorial before the elite four.
    http://theeorzeanfrontier.blogspot.co.uk/ Neckbeard rambling about this weeaboo trash

The totem pokemon / beating ultra necrozma were pretty tough. Outside of that, yeah they are too easy, but they've **never** not been.

I hope the new games only have new mons until you beat the elite 4, similar to BW / BW2. Of course, that means we need to get more than we've typically gotten in the last 2 gens, but hope springs eternal.
    Last edited by infinitemeridian; 2019-06-04 at 05:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    Its kind of funny that just the other day as part of a 20th anniversary of the anime the developers of the Digimon games talked about games like Digimon story Cybersleuth and the upcoming switch game Digimon Survive were made "because those original fans didn't go away, they just grew up and still love the series but want games that are not as simplistic and leading you by the hand" which is what pretty much everyone my age that started with red and blue have been wanting to hear from gamefreak for at least a decade now. On one hand it means we get great games like Digimon World Next Order, on the other i wouldn't be surprised if sword/shield has a tutorial before the elite four.
    I mean, that is true for Digimon though. If not for the original fans it would have went the way of the dinosaurs. Pokemon has fans from a crazy span of generations though, from people in their 40s to young kids in the 8-12 year old range. Kids stopped caring about digimon a long, long time ago. They never stopped caring about Pokemon.

Also I get the hand holding complaints with modern Pokemon 100% but not the difficulty complaints. The games have always been easy, people remember their 8 year old self getting bodied in red is not an accurate memory of it's difficulty.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    I mean, that is true for Digimon though. If not for the original fans it would have went the way of the dinosaurs. Pokemon has fans from a crazy span of generations though, from people in their 40s to young kids in the 8-12 year old range. Kids stopped caring about digimon a long, long time ago. They never stopped caring about Pokemon.

Also I get the hand holding complaints with modern Pokemon 100% but not the difficulty complaints. The games have always been easy, people remember their 8 year old self getting bodied in red is not an accurate memory of it's difficulty.
    If anything the games have gotten harder, they're just not hard enough because their fanbase has gotten better at videogames.

Just wanted to ask if waiting for this year's black Friday to get a discounted Switch is a wise idea. Any idea if I will be able to find it with a generous discount? Only want it to play the new pokemon game for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Well View Post
    Just wanted to ask if waiting for this year's black Friday to get a discounted Switch is a wise idea. Any idea if I will be able to find it with a generous discount? Only want it to play the new pokemon game for now.
    It likely won't be on discount, as in actual MSRP slash but...

1) High chance there is a cheaper model ready for Pokemon launch(could just be a dockless SKU like Japan already has)

and

2) High chance they bundle a game with the MSRP price. Last year they bundled Mario Kart with it for $300 still.

1) High chance there is a cheaper model ready for Pokemon launch(could just be a dockless SKU like Japan already has)

and

2) High chance they bundle a game with the MSRP price. Last year they bundled Mario Kart with it for $300 still.
    So, the best approach would be to simply wait till the release of the new pokemon game and find a bundle with the switch to avoid the 50$ price tag for the game. Do I get that right?

Quote Originally Posted by infinitemeridian View Post
    If anything the games have gotten harder, they're just not hard enough because their fanbase has gotten better at videogames.
    Almost as if learning about IVs/EVs and all the smaller mechanics like stab moves made an easy game even easier.

Almost...

and

Wasn't there also a bundle that came with like a $50 gift card? Close enough also to being able to pick what game you want.

Even if it doesn't shake out exactly like that the system is basically getting 1 marque game a month either way. Nintendo should try to spread out their releases more in the future cause the first half of this year was ass(and last year same time period wasn't much better either).
    I dunno. I think it's a smart decision to release games in the latter half of the year. They will often have a hard time making sales during the first three months after the holidays. (Unless people have high income). Releases between June and December generally are the best times so they can capitalize on the Summer Holidays and Christmas.

Besides. Some of us welcome drought periods so we can finally work through our backlogs. I still have games I haven't even touched on Steam that I purchased about 3 years ago.

Two words. Whitney's Miltank.
    Last edited by Darkguyver2020; 2019-06-04 at 06:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkguyver2020 View Post
    I dunno. I think it's a smart decision to release games in the latter half of the year. They will often have a hard time making sales during the first three months after the holidays. (Unless people have high income). Releases between June and December generally are the best times so they can capitalize on the Summer Holidays and Christmas.

Besides. Some of us welcome drought periods so we can finally work through our backlogs. I still have games I haven't even touched on Steam that I purchased about 3 years ago.
    Sony, Capcom and Square Enix have all proven this notion wrong that first half of year is bad for sales.

In fact you're likely to see FFVII Remake, TLOU2 and Cyberpunk 2077 all probably releasing in Q1/Q2 of 2020. Only Nintendo has droughts during these months. In fact Nintendo should know better more then anyone since the Switch itself and BoTW where Q1 releases and BoTW is the most successful Zelda game in terms of sales, ever. Even managed to sell a few mil on the dead Wii U ffs.

- - - Updated - - -

So, the best approach would be to simply wait till the release of the new pokemon game and find a bundle with the switch to avoid the 50$ price tag for the game. Do I get that right?
    Probably, if you don't want one until Pokemon you're not risking much by waiting. They won't be sold out like it's launch, pretty sure we can guarantee that lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    Wasn't there also a bundle that came with like a $50 gift card? Close enough also to being able to pick what game you want.
    Also yea this, I think it was target and gamestop that both offered this.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2019-06-04 at 06:10 PM.

1. The games were never hard, but there were definitely earlier games and even later games like B/W2 that had some challenging gyms/elite 4 in them.

2. Does it really matter if they were only hard because I was a kid or not? Hell, that's actually my point. The original fans of Pokemon, the 90s kids, are now older but GameFreak is choosing to cater to the kids of the modern day and are leaving behind their original fanbase, which is idiotic since games have had multiple difficulties forever, so they could cater to the kids who may want an easier experience or the older fans who don't care about difficulty and the older/newer fans who want a more challenging experience. Bump up the levels of all trainer pokemon by 2-4 levels, give Gym leaders 6 pokemon, maybe give regular trainers an extra Pokemon or two and boom, you've got an experience that will put up somewhat of a challenge and keep the game engaging.

Hell, if anything GameFreak is regressing in this regard. The Exp Share change was something I wasn't really on board with, but ultimately I could turn it off so it's fine I suppose, but in LGPE you can't turn it off, which leads to you being crazy overleveled in an already easy game.

Not opposed to having difficulty options in Pokemon, more so skeptical they would actually do anything. Most turn based JRPGs end up being easy once you understand their mechanics no matter what difficulty you pick and I don't think Pokemon is any different. SMT is probably the hardest in the genre, and even then something like Nocturne is difficult mostly due to RNG bs being turned up to 100 on hard.

It's really not a genre that lends its self to difficulty.

Quote Originally Posted by Chickat View Post
    Predictions for the pokemon direct?
    Armor forms, box legendary.

No word about Megas or Z-Moves. Those could be dropped entirely this time around.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vineri View Post
    Astral Chain. It's gonna be a sleeper hit. It's gonna be big though.

A cross between Xenoblade, Cyberpunk, and Technopunk (?) RPG. Due at the end of August. Devs are very silent on reveals.
    It is a Platinum Games game. If it has any RPG elements, those be very supplemental stuff.

Platinum does character action games.

- - - Updated - - -

Sword and Shield are bound to have a Switch bundle option.

Dunno if it is gonna be any cheaper than Switch+game separatively, but at least you'll get nice custom Joycons and/or dock.

Quote Originally Posted by VGAddict View Post
    Serious question, how is Nintendo still successful? Any other company would have gone under by now if they made the decisions Nintendo has. It feels like they're successful in spite of the decisions they make, rather than because of them.
    1. Rabid fan base and superstars in the industry work for/at/with the company
    2. High quality games
    3. Only mobile gaming besides terrible, terrible cell phone games, ugh
    4. Innovation in hardware and software over many generations
    5. Crazy metacritic review scores for first party games
    6. Most well known IPs in gaming
    7. Also sells toys to fanbase
    8. Artificial scarcity
    9. Wii-U wasn't well known, many thought it was an expansion pack for Wii, and fans were hungry for new console
    10. Handheld mode promotes rebuys of ported or remastered software
    11. Crazy popular in Japan(and everywhere actually but especially Japan/USA), which is a trendsetter in gaming
    12. Super high quality early games this gen. Zelda, Mario, Mario Kart, Smash all very highly rated and popular with fans.
    13. They also get lots of additional sales, due to the broader age appeal of their top franchises. These games are often E for everyone.

So here's the thing, you may own a Switch. If so you have already played the early games. People who don't own a Switch will need to play Mario and Zelda first to get caught up. So those games are new to them. No reasonable amount of time passing is going to ever devalue those games. Some people dislike this. They want to move past Nintendo's first big successes with the Switch and focus on "what have you done for me lately."

People who don't yet own the console will be buying for years on the strength of some of those early launch titles. The quality of those games is banked. Nintendo owns that now. Early perception is cemented as a console with high rated goat exclusives(even though of course BotW/Mario Kart isn't exclusive, we are talking perception). Just look at the goty praise for botw(I loved it as a goat, but I understand that any big game will have fans and detractors).

For me personally, I really love the machine. I think it is my favorite jrpg system ever because of handheld mode. Right now I'm playing FFXII:Zodiac Age. I also own a PS4 Pro and a pc with a 2080. I haven't played the computer since I bought the card except for the odd WoW session. I play the Pro everyday, and when I can't play the Pro I play the Switch.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen is another excellent port that released on the console recently. Not just an excellent port, but an amazing game. I'd love to advertise my pawn here, but he is on PS4.
    Last edited by Zenfoldor; 2019-06-05 at 06:51 PM.

Not opposed to having difficulty options in Pokemon, more so skeptical they would actually do anything. Most turn based JRPGs end up being easy once you understand their mechanics no matter what difficulty you pick and I don't think Pokemon is any different. SMT is probably the hardest in the genre, and even then something like Nocturne is difficult mostly due to RNG bs being turned up to 100 on hard.

It's really not a genre that lends its self to difficulty.
    This is a pretty random opinion tech.

Its quite easy to put challenge into turn based combat, in fact its probably easier than most games because you can fine tune the dials so much easier without worrying about response time and player ability/technical skill. Most turn base games are a challenge that have the option of gaining levels to out gear/dps the content if you struggle to get past it. Similar to gaining item level in a raid in WoW. The content gets easier as you get stronger. Pokemon never had a good balance of this though, the game begins easy and gets easier.

Pokemon has always been a joke though I agree. One ember is enough to destroy a bug pokemon or one thunder is enough to nuke a water pokemon. The entire strength vs weakness of the game needs a rework so its not so dramatic.

They also need to fill the world with actual pokemon. Random spawns is the way of the dinosaur now.
    Last edited by RobertoCarlos; 2019-06-05 at 06:23 AM.
    Suri Cruise and Katie Holmes are SP's.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    This is a pretty random opinion tech.

Its quite easy to put challenge into turn based combat, in fact its probably easier than most games because you can fine tune the dials so much easier without worrying about response time and player ability/technical skill. Most turn base games are a challenge that have the option of gaining levels to out gear/dps the content if you struggle to get past it. Similar to gaining item level in a raid in WoW. The content gets easier as you get stronger. Pokemon never had a good balance of this though, the game begins easy and gets easier.

Pokemon has always been a joke though I agree. One ember is enough to destroy a bug pokemon or one thunder is enough to nuke a water pokemon. The entire strength vs weakness of the game needs a rework so its not so dramatic.

They also need to fill the world with actual pokemon. Random spawns is the way of the dinosaur now.
    You name a turn based JRPG and I have played it.

Almost none of them are difficult, and the ones that are rely on you having bad RNG to do so(SMT looking at you).

So yea, it's not really an opinion. I mean sure you can go full SMT and have your characters regularly whiff attacks on higher difficulties, have insta kill abilities and the full 9 yards. I call that wasting my time though. When you get "SMT'd" half of the time you couldn't do anything about it and the other half of the time you would of had to of had the proper read, which is still a small chance.

Pretty much everything outside of SMT is an absolute joke difficulty wise. Trails on nightmare difficulty is a joke, Persona 5 on hard is a joke, Persona 4 Golden on Very Hard is a joke, DQXI with stronger monsters... absolute joke. If you're playing turn based JRPGs for a challenge you're playing the wrong genre or are just bad at games no offense.

Outside of SMT the last JRPG I played that posed any challenge was Persona 3, and that's because it basically was an SMT game lmao.

This is not to be confused with TBS games, as I have been handed my ass a few times in FE and Disgaea over the years but there is so much more going on in those games then what happens in turn based JRPGs like the above.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2019-06-05 at 07:02 AM.

I was thinking about picking up Xenoblade Chronicles 2 along with the DLC for additional difficulty settings. How does that fare using the Bringer of Chaos mode, is there a lot of challenge playing it that way?