Bought the switch lite over the weekend just for Metroid dread. Wasn't disappointed.

I also got diablo 3 and smash bros (obviously), what are some other good switch games?

Quote Originally Posted by Al Gorefiend View Post
    Bought the switch lite over the weekend just for Metroid dread. Wasn't disappointed.

I also got diablo 3 and smash bros (obviously), what are some other good switch games?
    Switch only or overall good games that are on the Switch?
    Given you mentioned Diablo 3, i think the 2nd, so: CrossCode, Fire Emblem: Three Houses, Astral Chain, Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE, Golf Story, Hades, Hollow Knight, Stardew Valley, Rune Factory 4 Special (also soon-ish Rune Factory 5), World Ends With You (haven't played the 2nd yet "Neo World Ends With You"), Valkyria Chronicles 4, Bayonetta 1+2 (you get 1 when you buy the 2nd, usually), Shin Megami Tensei 3 (or just skip for 5 in 2 weeks) and best for last, Xenoblade Chronicles (Definitive Edition, 2 and 2 Golden Country of Torna)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    Where'd the Wii U go
    The what...?

Quote Originally Posted by Shakzor View Post
    Switch only or overall good games that are on the Switch?
    Given you mentioned Diablo 3, i think the 2nd, so: CrossCode, Fire Emblem: Three Houses, Astral Chain, Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE, Golf Story, Hades, Hollow Knight, Stardew Valley, Rune Factory 4 Special (also soon-ish Rune Factory 5), World Ends With You (haven't played the 2nd yet "Neo World Ends With You"), Valkyria Chronicles 4, Bayonetta 1+2 (you get 1 when you buy the 2nd, usually), Shin Megami Tensei 3 (or just skip for 5 in 2 weeks) and best for last, Xenoblade Chronicles (Definitive Edition, 2 and 2 Golden Country of Torna)
    Hollow Knight Ive heard nothing but praise for, definitely adding that one. Stardew Valley I heard was a great game but it's not for me, because neither was Animal Crossing or Harvest Moon which I see mentioned alongside it often.
    The other ones I haven't heard of aside from having Smash reps but I'm eager to dip into Nintendo again, haven't owned a Nintendo product since the Nintendo DS

I'd also recommend Trails of Cold Steel 3 and 4 if you're into long winded JRPGs but you need to have played the first two games and they don't have switch ports and at this point probably never will.

Dying Light got a update where it caps the FPS to 30 and improves resolution and draw distance (by a small bit). It does hold the 30FPS cap most of the time and only dips huge busy area's but overall it is a solid 30fps.

Its a amazing port imo and a solid zombie game if anyone wants to check it out.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

3D World + Bowser's Fury + Odyssey if you like fun when you game.

My must own games, in no order:

1. XBC2+Torna
    2. 3D World + Bowser's Fury
    3. Odyssey
    4. Dread
    5. Hollow Knight
    6. Bayonetta 2
    7. BotW
    8. Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition
    9. Fire Emblem 3 Houses
    10. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

You might swap Hollow Knight with Hades. You can also get smash bros, AC, pokemon, snap, mh rise, smtv, y's viii, zodiac age, and many, many other games, but those above are my MVPs. I also...didn't get a chance to play these on Wii-U so that makes a pretty big difference I would imagine. Switch has been 2 gens in 1 for me. There are also plenty more cross platform games I consider must play that are on Switch and other platforms, like Dark Souls and Dragon's Dogma. Switch has a great library.

Nintendo has been my "second console" since Gamecube and I always like the consoles and games on them, but I don't think I've ever played a second console as much as I have the Switch. That portability and library combo.
    Last edited by Zenfoldor; 2021-11-08 at 10:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    I'd rather play good games on the Switch then play bad games on better hardware and seeing as how every good game releasing in this part of the year is a switch exclusive... I'll play SMTV and Metroid Dread over dude driver 5 and Call of Duty 500000. Also Dread is a locked 60 fps like quite a few Switch games are on the "30 fps console". Almost like framerate is a developer choice and not a power issue, who knew?
    Why is it either or?
    I'm no fan of CoD but people like it and better hardware will allow certain things to be done gameplay wise that older hardware just wasn't/isn't capable.
    stable framerates or more active combat system all are possible because of better hardware. A bigger and more immersive world is only possible because of stronger hardware compared to 15 years ago

This isn't any judgment towards Nintendo or appraisal towards Sony/Microsoft but just that the argument of " pretty pictures" is a massive oversimplification of what better hardware provides.

Quote Originally Posted by ati87 View Post
    Why is it either or?
    I'm no fan of CoD but people like it and better hardware will allow certain things to be done gameplay wise that older hardware just wasn't/isn't capable.
    stable framerates or more active combat system all are possible because of better hardware. A bigger and more immersive world is only possible because of stronger hardware compared to 15 years ago

This isn't any judgment towards Nintendo or appraisal towards Sony/Microsoft but just that the argument of " pretty pictures" is a massive oversimplification of what better hardware provides.
    Bigger worlds?

What specific mechanics are possible on PS5 that are not possible on Switch? What PS5 game has good AI?

Not being contrary, I'm legit asking. I can't think of any. Loading times, graphics/fps, and raw compute I'll grant, but that's really "pretty pictures" honestly. Trivial(but perhaps they will take more visual advantage of the improved computing power as the gen progresses and we start having less ps4-ps5 crossover games, and I'm sure there is some PS5 AI coding in games that impress, and I just haven't played them, how is the AI in Deathloop?).

Graphics either matter or they don't. I'm not saying that "pretty pictures" is a bad thing. In fact, if anything, I think you've marginalized the importance of probably the biggest reason we even upgrade hardware. Pretty pictures.

Don't get me wrong, I love my PS5 and my PC, but it ain't really reliant on the horsepower, the games matter exponentially more for me, and I just don't see any deficiency trading off horsepower for portability when the horsepower doesn't add a lot of function. That said, I often play docked on a LG OLED with a mclassic and everything dialed in from the reddit post, so it is a surprisingly beautiful gaming experience and imo probably the best possible way to play the Switch to make it look good. Switch is also my second console, and I definitely play the PS5 a bit more...I just don't mind gaming on either console. They are fine, and Switch looks and works good enough imo.
    Last edited by Zenfoldor; 2021-11-09 at 03:05 PM.

Switch 2 in 2023, they will show it by this E3 mark my words.

Quote Originally Posted by ati87 View Post
    Why is it either or?

The best games on the PS5 currently are Demon's Souls(same world size as PS3 game just looks better), Miles Morales(same world size on PS4), Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart(smaller level based game) , Returnal(smaller level based game), Tales of Arise(looks almost identical on PS4 but slightly more consistent 60 fps on PS5).

Wow bruh look at these massive worlds only possible on new hardware.

Xenoblade Chronicles X is a bigger more immersive world then anything on the PS5 or Switch for that matter and it's on the Wii U lmfao. Please never quote me to reply with some dumb shit like this ever again. Power has nothing to do with world size at all, it makes games look prettier. That is it. Like did it ever dawn on you that GTAV ran on the PS3 and 360 and is a more detailed and large open world then the majority of shit released in the past gen and start of this one?

Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    Switch 2 in 2023, they will show it by this E3 mark my words.
    That would be massive. Are you assuming the rumors about a new Nvidia SoC for Switch earlier this year, assumed at the time to be a pro model, was actually the Switch 2 all along?

Quote Originally Posted by Zenfoldor View Post
    That would be massive. Are you assuming the rumors about a new Nvidia SoC for Switch earlier this year, assumed at the time to be a pro model, was actually the Switch 2 all along?
    Well, at this point a successor is just more likely and makes more sense. Make it like the DS > 3DS where the general idea of the console doesn't really change, is backwards compatible (because we know they WILL port everything again if it isn't compatible and fk that) and we're golden, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenfoldor View Post
    It makes sense if we look at the limitations developers are starting to hit with the Switch itself. Also if you look at where the X1 chipset is compared to current gen offerings from nvidia mobile chipsets on the development side they have come a long long way, like a really long way since the X1.

There was also mentions of nvidia working closely with Nintendo to develop a fully custom chipset and you would not do that for a simple revision.

Just from an investor standpoint too it would worry me if Nintendo wasn't starting to plan a successor to the Switch, sales will begin to slow as less 1st party titles release which is happening already.

which is happening already.
    It's not happening already. Nintendo can't even meet demand had to cut their switch shipments for this FY from 24 to 21 million projection based on chip shortages. The Switch is going to out sell the Wii before its 5th birthday and the Wii took 6 years to reach 100 mil. Nintendo is obviously going to have a new system out around 2023, because it's what they do- release successors every 6 years or so. Switch sales however are a non issue for them since they can't even meet their expected demand.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    It's not happening already. Nintendo can't even meet demand had to cut their switch shipments for this FY from 24 to 21 million projection based on chip shortages. The Switch is going to out sell the Wii before its 5th birthday and the Wii took 6 years to reach 100 mil. Nintendo is obviously going to have a new system out around 2023, because it's what they do- release successors every 6 years or so. Switch sales however are a non issue for them since they can't even meet their expected demand.
    First party title releases which is what I specified are indeed slowing down and it has nothing to do with covid on that end. Has nothing to do with consoles. Anecdotally I have 3 switches personally, 1 hacked (for filthy pirate stuff), one for legit stuff/online play and a Lite for the wife.

Of course they aren't going to stop selling current systems they never do until a couple years into the next gen unless it flops (Wii U Cough..Cough..), they want to sell as many of the current gen systems as they can before even announcing the new system as it is good business sense to not slow sales by announcing the successor just yet as many people will just wait. Just look at how rumors alone made many people consider waiting for their Pro that isn't coming and turned out to be a slight revision lol.

15+ Year Old Account
    First party title releases which is what I specified are indeed slowing down
    Lol, no

A combo of mp4, xb3 and a 3d mario would make 2022 the switches best year. There's also a big probability of a fire emblem too

A Switch 2 like going from the DS to the 3DS makes sense, but right now I don't think it'd be a good business move. There is a microchip shortage that is also affecting consoles. Sony released the PS5 but no one can actually get their hands on a PS5 for a reasonable price right now, and at this point it's looking unlikely that GPU and PS5 prices will go all the way back to normal. Because nobody has a PS5, nobody is buying PS5 games (not that there are any really worth buying right now). Which means very little profit on that front. Right now, it'd be better for devs to work around Switch 1 limitations. People already have Switches, so they will be able to play the games.

Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    Lol, no

A combo of mp4, xb3 and a 3d mario would make 2022 the switches best year. There's also a big probability of a fire emblem too
    First Party means in-house Nintendo teams, which there is like 4 titles on that list. Generally when first party software winds down it means they are starting to work on next gen titles because they need that time to have games ready at launch.

My guess is Metroid Prime 4 and Breath of the Wild 2 will be cross generation releases with a new Mario game with the Switch Next launch so they can avoid the backlash of completely moving them to the next generation Switch.

15+ Year Old Account
    First Party means in-house Nintendo teams, which there is like 4.

First party means they own the ip and for 2022 there's 6 on that list and there will be more. They are not slowing down