15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    Yeah, I get people had issues with like, the ease of the game or not having all the Pokemon, but the Wild Area is something I've never heard complaints about outside of the tree comments.

You left out Dynamax raids. Or that there's an entire story to explore in the two extra Wild Areas. Visuals being lackluster though doesn't change that it is new.

What the hell kinda false equivalency is this lol

Story has nothing to do with voice acting. A great story can have terrible voice acting, a terrible story can have great voice acting. Guess what though, the story will still suck if it sucks. Never mind the fact that you're just retorting to the whole "cope" nonsense which usually gets thrown out when there's no way to actually prove the point without insults.
    I didnt leave them out. I said capturing, which is what the are. It needs MORE

10+ Year Old Account
    What the hell kinda false equivalency is this lol

Story has nothing to do with voice acting. A great story can have terrible voice acting, a terrible story can have great voice acting. Guess what though, the story will still suck if it sucks. Never mind the fact that you're just retorting to the whole "cope" nonsense which usually gets thrown out when there's no way to actually prove the point without insults.
    I wrote story delivery for a reason.

Although it's definitely true that with Gamefreak's general attitude to not doing more than they absolutely have to, it could easily get dragged down by poor voice direction instead if they tried to, I'll grant you that, at least.

10+ Year Old Account
    BD/SP were also outsourced.

And Sw/Sh was literally the building blocks for Legends, the existence of the Wild Area and the DLC isn't "bare minimum effort".
    Doesn't matter whether they were outsourced or not. Compared to all of the other Pokemon remakes, they were 100% the bare minimum effort.

Hmm Monster Hunter World didn't need a game to create "building blocks." They just put in a lot of time, money, and effort to create a game that was far more open and had way higher production values than any other Monster Hunter game. Plus, an open area with very little in it is the bare minimum to qualify as an "Open World" game. But regardless, we've already had this conversation and it's clear we don't agree. I don't feel like rehashing it with you.
    Last edited by Poppincaps; 2022-02-12 at 05:35 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post

Although it's definitely true that with Gamefreak's general attitude to not doing more than they absolutely have to, it could easily get dragged down by poor voice direction instead if they tried to, I'll grant you that, at least.
    The show has had fine enough voice acting and even medicore acting is better than the absolute cringefest of that silent concert in spikemuth. I never cared too much about voice acting in the series till that moment where i realized it's way past time for it.
    Last edited by Video Games; 2022-02-12 at 05:37 PM.

People acting like it's acceptable for Gamefreak to not invest in even the most basic voice overs is just another way to phrase that you're trying to cope with Gamefreak being reluctant to do more than the bare minimum for story delivery.

These games sells 15+ million copies with each and every release, they're not some one man indie dev that can't afford things bigger budget games started doing on a wider scale over 20 years ago now.
    They really should add voices at this point. No excuse not to.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    The show has had fine enough voice acting and even medicore acting is better than the absolute cringefest of that silent concert in spikemuth. I never cared too much about voice acting in the series till that moment where i realized it's way past time for it.
    Yeah between the anime and Masters they already have extensive voice cast.

Granted new region with new characters would require new casting, but for any remakes or returning characters? Just pick from existing actors.

I didnt leave them out. I said capturing, which is what the are. It needs MORE
    Dynamax raids are more than just capturing. The storylines too aren't just capturing.

It doesn't change that it's silly to act as if voice acting an issue. Or to act as if people who are okay with no voice acting are just "coping". Especially in chatbox based games where you can read the lines faster than they're delivered, which just leads to constantly awkwardly cutting off the voices.

Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post
    Doesn't matter whether they were outsourced or not. Compared to all of the other Pokemon remakes, they were 100% the bare minimum effort.

Hmm Monster Hunter World didn't need a game to create "building blocks." They just put in a lot of time, money, and effort to create a game that was far more open and had way higher production values than any other Monster Hunter game. Plus, an open area with very little in it is the bare minimum to qualify as an "Open World" game. But regardless, we've already had this conversation and it's clear we don't agree. I don't feel like rehashing it with you.
    Monster Hunter World was literally based off the rest of the games though. What it changed was hated by quite a bit of the community too, myself included. Not exactly the best example in that regard honestly. I'll give it credit for thrusting MH more into the mainstream, but honestly that's about it. Mind you, the game was also majorly criticized for having a lack of unique monsters, since the resources were put elsewhere.

15+ Year Old Account
    Dynamax raids are more than just capturing. The storylines too aren't just capturing.

It doesn't change that it's silly to act as if voice acting an issue. Or to act as if people who are okay with no voice acting are just "coping". Especially in chatbox based games where you can read the lines faster than they're delivered, which just leads to constantly awkwardly cutting off the voices.

Monster Hunter World was literally based off the rest of the games though. What it changed was hated by quite a bit of the community too, myself included. Not exactly the best example in that regard honestly. I'll give it credit for thrusting MH more into the mainstream, but honestly that's about it. Mind you, the game was also majorly criticized for having a lack of unique monsters, since the resources were put elsewhere.
    You battle it to weaken it and then throw a ball to capture it. Please tell me how that is different. We need dungeons with puzzles that give cool items, map exploring like ys 8, hidden areas with rare boogermen. Something, anything with substance

You battle it to weaken it and then throw a ball to capture it. Please tell me how that is different. We need dungeons with puzzles that give cool items, map exploring like ys 8, hidden areas with rare boogermen. Something, anything with substance
    If you boil the game down to "battle it and capture it", then yes every single Pokemon game to exist has been the same exact thing. Just like pretty much every Mario game is "Jump and collect things". And before anyone tries to get wise and point out all the spinoff Mario titles like sports games and rabbids, just realize Pokemon also has a MOBA, puzzle games, dungeon exploration games, and even pinball.

Dungeons with puzzles is Zelda stuff. It hasn't been Pokemon. There's a rare exception here and there, like the "lol learn braille" meme, but the vast majority of them have simple "slide around" or "push a rock a right way" puzzles at most.

Hidden areas though I can get behind and that's fair. Ultimately the game should be expanded in a way that focuses back to the core of it, Pokemon collecting and raising. Having Pokemon that are more elusive makes sense with their nature and makes them feel more unique.

10+ Year Old Account

Pokemon Sword and Shield and Legends Arceus were also based off the old games as well so I don't see your point here. Also, I personally don't think Monster Hunter World is the best Monster Hunter game either. I much prefer Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate to it. My point was, that regardless of personal feelings about the game, you can't say they didn't put in a lot of effort. The game launched with the least amount of monsters of any main series game I think, but that effort clearly went into improving the models and animations of the monsters, creating better AI and interactivity between the monsters, and creating far more expansive and detailed areas that you hunt in. You yourself said that they put the resources elsewhere.

In Sword and Shield they said they removed the national dex to improve the graphics and animations... except Sword and Shield look pretty bad even for a Switch game, the game doesn't even run well in the wild area, and the animations are really not noteworthy. So either they lied or they have terrible project management skills, because removing a large chunk of the Pokemon for a negligible increase in models and animation quality clearly wasn't worth it.

Also, you're crazy if you think Monster Hunter World has nearly as many naysayers as Sword and Shield. If they had made that decision and the graphics were amazing and the animations were incredible, then I would still ultimately be disappointed in the decision to get rid of the National Dex but I would at least feel like the game wasn't rushed out.

15+ Year Old Account
    If you boil the game down to "battle it and capture it", then yes every single Pokemon game to exist has been the same exact thing. Just like pretty much every Mario game is "Jump and collect things". And before anyone tries to get wise and point out all the spinoff Mario titles like sports games and rabbids, just realize Pokemon also has a MOBA, puzzle games, dungeon exploration games, and even pinball.

Dungeons with puzzles is Zelda stuff. It hasn't been Pokemon. There's a rare exception here and there, like the "lol learn braille" meme, but the vast majority of them have simple "slide around" or "push a rock a right way" puzzles at most.

Hidden areas though I can get behind and that's fair. Ultimately the game should be expanded in a way that focuses back to the core of it, Pokemon collecting and raising. Having Pokemon that are more elusive makes sense with their nature and makes them feel more unique.
    Mario is jump and collect but there is a massive amount of substance in how to do that, whether it be because the developer made them tricky to get or autistic speedrunners figured out how to 360 no scope clip through the wall to get it 5 hours early.

And no. Gen 1 and 2 had warp puzzles, block puzzles, slide puzzles, mazes, door puzzles and probably other things ive forgotten about. Dont memoryhole a feature that should be in modern games that they cut because they are awful, lazy developers

Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post
    Pokemon Sword and Shield and Legends Arceus were also based off the old games as well so I don't see your point here. Also, I personally don't think Monster Hunter World is the best Monster Hunter game either. I much prefer Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate to it. My point was, that regardless of personal feelings about the game, you can't say they didn't put in a lot of effort. The game launched with the least amount of monsters of any main series game I think, but that effort clearly went into improving the models and animations of the monsters, creating better AI and interactivity between the monsters, and creating far more expansive and detailed areas that you hunt in. You yourself said that they put the resources elsewhere.

In Sword and Shield they said they removed the national dex to improve the graphics and animations... except Sword and Shield look pretty bad even for a Switch game, the game doesn't even run well in the wild area, and the animations are really not noteworthy. So either they lied or they have terrible project management skills, because removing a large chunk of the Pokemon for a negligible increase in models and animation quality clearly wasn't worth it.

Also, you're crazy if you think Monster Hunter World has nearly as many naysayers as Sword and Shield. If they had made that decision and the graphics were amazing and the animations were incredible, then I would still ultimately be disappointed in the decision to get rid of the National Dex but I would at least feel like the game wasn't rushed out.
    The Wild Area isn't in any other Pokemon game, and it's more than just a one-off or a different mechanic. It was a new way to explore and interact with the world. It wasn't perfect and it was rough of course, but it's still something no other game had or attempted for Pokemon. So to say Sw/Sh did the bare minimum while ignoring that they actually did change something pretty drastic is just weird.

And that's kinda the point though? People are just expecting Pokemon to have improvements every time, and you even used an example of a game that had to cut back to improve in the way they wanted. It's improbable to expect just an increase, despite people's insistence of just "throw more money at it". I could imagine that a bulk of the work actually went into the wild area, and yes it was rough in the end. But we're talking about a company that had to go from making solely handheld focused games to now full environments. It's quite a jump, like skipping puberty and being told to be an adult suddenly. People nowadays are used to the quality of console games, but expecting GF's first attempt to be perfect is unreasonable. It was fun for what it was in my opinion at least.

And I didn't say it had as many naysayers, but the point is there was still and it wasn't exactly a trivial amount either. It was pretty clear people disliked how casual they made MHW.

- - - Updated - - -

Mario is jump and collect but there is a massive amount of substance in how to do that, whether it be because the developer made them tricky to get or autistic speedrunners figured out how to 360 no scope clip through the wall to get it 5 hours early.

And no. Gen 1 and 2 had warp puzzles, block puzzles, slide puzzles, mazes, door puzzles and probably other things ive forgotten about. Dont memoryhole a feature that should be in modern games that they cut because they are awful, lazy developers
    Warp "puzzles", as in "oops you went in the wrong one, better try again!" wasn't fun. It was hardly a puzzle because the only solution WAS brute force.

Sw/Sh had gym layouts like that though. There was the whole maze in the 6th gym with the detector for pitfalls.

15+ Year Old Account
    The Wild Area isn't in any other Pokemon game, and it's more than just a one-off or a different mechanic. It was a new way to explore and interact with the world. It wasn't perfect and it was rough of course, but it's still something no other game had or attempted for Pokemon. So to say Sw/Sh did the bare minimum while ignoring that they actually did change something pretty drastic is just weird.

And that's kinda the point though? People are just expecting Pokemon to have improvements every time, and you even used an example of a game that had to cut back to improve in the way they wanted. It's improbable to expect just an increase, despite people's insistence of just "throw more money at it". I could imagine that a bulk of the work actually went into the wild area, and yes it was rough in the end. But we're talking about a company that had to go from making solely handheld focused games to now full environments. It's quite a jump, like skipping puberty and being told to be an adult suddenly. People nowadays are used to the quality of console games, but expecting GF's first attempt to be perfect is unreasonable. It was fun for what it was in my opinion at least.

And I didn't say it had as many naysayers, but the point is there was still and it wasn't exactly a trivial amount either. It was pretty clear people disliked how casual they made MHW.

- - - Updated - - -

Warp "puzzles", as in "oops you went in the wrong one, better try again!" wasn't fun. It was hardly a puzzle because the only solution WAS brute force.

Sw/Sh had gym layouts like that though. There was the whole maze in the 6th gym with the detector for pitfalls.
    I will take it over the literal nothing we get now. But yes, we used to get world AND gym puzzles but they took them out because why design a world when you can put a straight line to the next city and fill it with 3 trainers with 800 bidoofs that spam tail whip

We need dungeons with puzzles that give cool items, map exploring like ys 8, hidden areas with rare boogermen. Something, anything with substance
    I miss something like the regis in gen 3
    man that were good times and so satisfying when you did it yourself the first time without any help

Quote Originally Posted by rarhyx View Post
    I miss something like the regis in gen 3
    man that were good times and so satisfying when you did it yourself the first time without any help
    Gonna be honest, I highly doubt many, if any, people did that without any help.

Not only would it involve knowing braille, but it was also the most convoluted nonsense ever with the vaguest instructions ever.

When I stumbled upon the puzzle, I whipped out the dictionary and read the braille section to decode the puzzle. The puzzle also gave pretty clear instructions.

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    When I stumbled upon the puzzle, I whipped out the dictionary and read the braille section to decode the puzzle. The puzzle also gave pretty clear instructions.
    Again, I doubt it. Maybe I've been looking at the wrong dictionaries, but I've never seen one with a braille section. And I cannot find any online that mention it either, only ones that are braille based in the first place.

10+ Year Old Account
    Again, I doubt it. Maybe I've been looking at the wrong dictionaries, but I've never seen one with a braille section. And I cannot find any online that mention it either, only ones that are braille based in the first place.
    Maybe not in a dictionary as such, but there used to be braille charts sold together with gen 3 games in the box. They didn't trip that on people without providing the means to handle them, at least.

Not only would it involve knowing braille, but it was also the most convoluted nonsense ever with the vaguest instructions ever.
    idk
    I mean back then Internet wasn't really a thing
    your only help were magazines or friends

and you didn't really have to know braille you just had to look at your mini magazine that was inside the game's box
    that's how I got that puzzle, by sheer coincidence, I was radnomly looking through that and noticed I saw that pattern (braille, being 12 years old I didn't know it what it was) somewhere ingame and the hunt started
    after that I learned what braille is

The game manual did come with braille alphabet in it.

I caught regis without guides.

Especially since there isn’t any multiplayer battling, the one thing I wish they added to Arceus is cloud saving. It would be so nice to be able to pick up and play on our Lite when someone else is using the normal switch on the tv. The lack of voice acting and things such as that don't really bother me, but no cloud saves in this day and age is ridiculous. It’s bad enough Sony restricts it behind a pay wall just like Nintendo but at least they don't limit it as much.