Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    very few artists get royalties unless they are also producing, or such a big name they can get projects created and financed on the back of their name alone.

That aint happening for voice actors in video games anytime soon
    Not every VA should get royalties. But important characters who are featured throughout the entire game, who's performances help sell games should absolutely be getting royalties and it's bologna that's not industry standard like it is in hollywood.

Same is true of important senior devs, designers and artists on gaming projects. They should also be getting royalties. Instead execs line their wallets with the vast majority of the profits.

Thing is though, VAs are actually unionized and can fight for things like this way easier than devs can. Funniest thing is people are up in arms about getting paid more than what a union says you should get paid right now, imagine what the VAs would be getting paid without the union. It wouldn't be pretty.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2022-10-16 at 07:12 AM.

If you choose to be an American voice actor, it's not because you want secure, easy living. The recording studios are located in California, which has an obscenely high cost of living (not to mention American health insurance). American VAs have to be constantly taking jobs, and even then it's not uncommon for them to take a part time job at retail to help pay the bills.

Working from home could allow voice actors to live in much more affordable places, but it's a nightmare for the audio engineers as they have to deal with people who have different microphones and recording setups, which creates noticeable audio inconsistencies for the player listening to it (especially with headphones on).
    Last edited by Val the Moofia Boss; 2022-10-16 at 07:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Not every VA should get royalties. But important characters who are featured throughout the entire game, who's performances help sell games should absolutely be getting royalties and it's bologna that's not industry standard like it is in hollywood.

Same is true of important senior devs, designers and artists on gaming projects. They should also be getting royalties. Instead execs line their wallets with the vast majority of the profits.

Thing is though, VAs are actually unionized and can fight for things like this way easier than devs can. Funniest thing is people are up in arms about getting paid more than what a union says you should get paid right now, imagine what the VAs would be getting paid without the union. It wouldn't be pretty.
    Royalties are not the industry standard in hollywood. Only example I can think of is Robert Downy Jr managing to negotiate royalties into his Iron man roles making him the highest paid actor during his stint. Now the The Rock is the highest paid actor and even he doesnt get royalties he just gets paid a casual 40-50mill per film. Streaming has changed the game where DVD sales are no longer a thing and the power is in the hands of streaming companies who largely keep their data in house and shows on networks like friends, seinfeilds which were the dream for residuals is a thing of the past.
    Last edited by RobertoCarlos; 2022-10-16 at 07:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    Royalties are not the industry standard in hollywood. Only example I can think of is Robert Downy Jr managing to negotiate royalties into his Iron man roles making him the highest paid actor during his stint. Now the The Rock is the highest paid actor and even he doesnt get royalties he just gets paid a casual 40-50mill per film. Streaming has changed the game where DVD sales are no longer a thing and the power is in the hands of streaming companies who largely keep their data in house and shows on networks like friends, seinfeilds which were the dream for residuals is a thing of the past.
    The Rock gets 15% gross on most of his movies on top of his flat payment. If a star of a movie is not earning royalties on it it's because they negotiated a higher base payment and sacrificed them they are absolutely offered. The Rock is just an absolutely asinine comparison to bring up because the man is literally getting a larger cut from his movies than Disney does from spider-man films. Put that into perspective. Most actors in prominent roles are offered a lower base payment with residuals, or a higher base payment without. The Rock straight up gets both.

https://www.sagaftra.org/membership-benefits/residuals

Not standard in hollywood he said, yea not standard for random background actors I guess. Even then some of them get residuals- dude literally earned more money from 2 lines in detective pikachu than he did from voicing 3 characters in BoTW cutscenes all from residuals pretty much.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2022-10-16 at 08:13 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    They replaced her with Jennifer Hale or all people. They pushed her out by just offering her $4k.
    If the gig and pay was OK for an actress of Hale's caliber, I'm sure it was being compensated fairly. Hellena was just being greedy.

Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post
    If the gig and pay was OK for an actress of Hale's caliber, I'm sure it was being compensated fairly. Hellena was just being greedy.
    If Hale was being offered the same 4k, I agree. But it's also possible they low balled hoping she wouldn't take it so they could get Hale? Idk, they also could have just went to Hale with an offer first and sidestepped Hellena too if that was the case. It's all a very strange situation and we don't know both sides of it.

It's also weird she's coming out with this info now instead of earlier in the game development when she might have had more leverage.

So someone is mad they got offered money and now gamers should boycott something? Gamers will buy non existing games, will buy tons of microtransactions, will spend insane amounts of money on p2w and other shitty products, because it's A VIDEO GAME MUST SPEND MUNEY. So they will fucking make these developers rich, what is she even doing, jesus christ.
    My nickname is "LDEV", not "idev". (both font clarification and ez bait)

yall im smh @ ur simplified english

Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    If Hale was being offered the same 4k, I agree. But it's also possible they low balled hoping she wouldn't take it so they could get Hale? Idk, they also could have just went to Hale with an offer first and sidestepped Hellena too if that was the case. It's all a very strange situation and we don't know both sides of it.
    That seems to be the obvious read on this: they wanted someone different, for whatever reason. Lowball and getting them to walk probably for a contract reason or just to be able to say they tried.

I enjoyed her as VA on the first two, but I doubt I’ll notice a big difference. It’s going to be about the gameplay, as it always is.

Quote Originally Posted by everydaygamer View Post
    It's also weird she's coming out with this info now instead of earlier in the game development when she might have had more leverage.
    Eh, in some fairness, if she came out with it too early people probably would have settled down/forgot by the time the game came out.

Judging by Kamiya's general attitude on twitter too....well, I highly doubt any protest like this would change his mind in the first place anyway

1) The job would have taken 8 hours or less. This is NOT up for debate. These are facts coming straight from her own mouth. All the voicework for bayonetta 1 AND 2 was done in 4 days of 4 hour shifts. Not just bayonetta's lines, but others too. Again, HER OWN WORDS. This isnt some shitty sony movie-game. there is very little dialogue here.
    And I'm being extremely generous here by assuming the game doesnt pull a "its not the real bayonetta is alternate dimension bayo", meaning her role would be even less significant.

2) As per the above, what she got offered was more than fair and WELL ABOVE the union standards (which is 250/hour)

3) "I cant live of this!!!" Not my problem. Platinum is not your financial planner. Maybe you should have taken more than one role in the last 8 years.

4) "I AM BAYONETTA" Not anymore, because you fucked it all up. Also your performance in smash was dogshit. Maybe they got rid of you because you cant do the voice anymore?

5)You have publically insulted bayonetta fans on twitter for spending money on bayonetta merch. Not a good look.

6)You're also a known obnoxious biblethumping zealot. Maybe thats why they dont want to work with you?

7) "I SHOULD GET PAID MORE BECAUSE THE GAME MADE 450 MILLION DOLLARIDOOS." Lol. Lmao even. Pulling numbers out of your crusty hag asshole isnt going to do you any favors sweetie. 450 million yen maybe lol.

8) "BOYCOTT THE GAME" No )) Why should everyone that worked on it suffer because you're a greedy cunt?

its funny you know, because every VA not called david hayter is coming out and calling her on her bullshit. Saying how that offer is totally fair for the amount of work it would have taken, and clearly, Hale agreed.

all you tweetards may now proceed to seethe seed sneed and dilate. Have a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by SavoirFaire View Post
    That seems to be the obvious read on this: they wanted someone different, for whatever reason. Lowball and getting them to walk probably for a contract reason or just to be able to say they tried.

I enjoyed her as VA on the first two, but I doubt I’ll notice a big difference. It’s going to be about the gameplay, as it always is.
    The most likely scenario(and this is 100% speculation on my part so don't take it as fact) imo is due to the nature of the game her role is significantly reduced to begin with and no one is going to come out to say this because it would be a "spoiler" for the game. I doubt they low balled her considering #1 union production and they can't offer her below union wages combined with #2 they came back with an increased offer meaning even if the first offer was just union minimum they came back with a larger offer than that.

Some people with the "Hale must of been paid more" takes are entirely clueless. Hale has a networth of 500k, how much do people actually think she makes per role? VAs just aren't paid well, that's the most useful knowledge the gaming community should gain from this and it's an industry wide issue not a "boycott 1 game" issue.

VAs should still be paid more and shouldn't have to take on 100 roles a year yada yada, she's definitely leaving out significant details though and flat out lying with comments like the franchise earned $450 million dollars. Yea if it did Sega would be funding multiplatform Bayo games and not licensing them out to Nintendo as prestige products for Nintendo. Niche product is niche.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2022-10-17 at 02:29 AM.

I’ll be honest, I skipped the cut scenes in Bayonetta anyway. I mean, the games are incredible, but that story… it’s not like we’re talking David Hayter or Kevin Conroy here. We are talking, maybe, the Lara croft voice actress for the new trilogy level. As in, it ain’t bad, but I wouldn’t mind an upgrade.

I’m liking the look of that new blonde character, looks incredible character design!
    Last edited by Zenfoldor; 2022-10-17 at 02:34 AM.

>get paid 4k for 10 hours of work at most
    >va should be paid more
    Lmao stfu cracker. Actual skill based jobs don't even pay that well. I can guarantee you the actual Devs ain't making anywhere near that much.

These cunts are making double or triple per hour of what a fucking SURGEON earns. That's right. The goy that went through atleast THIRTEEN years of intense and difficult studies, and now performs a highly skill based job where he is literally holding human lives in his hands gets paid ONE THIRDof what some douche talking in a mic gets.

Get the fuck outta here with your "poor widdle Va doesn't get paid enough" tripe.

She wants more money? Then work more, cunt. You literally haven't had a role in EIGHT years. You are not a prominent VA.

And people love bringing up the Jap VA scene, claiming they get paid more' which is blatantly false. They literally have to take on all sorts of jobs such as events, talkshows, meet n greets, handshake event, signings. And even then only the top 5% are getting these huge paydays, and they had to fucking slog for years to get there by doing all of the above.
    Last edited by Zawarudo; 2022-10-17 at 03:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zawarudo View Post
    >get paid 4k for 10 hours of work at most
    >va should be paid more
    Lmao stfu cracker. Actual skill based jobs don't even pay that well. I can guarantee you the actual Devs ain't making anywhere near that much.

These cunts are making double or triple per hour of what a fucking SURGEON earns. That's right. The goy that went through atleast THIRTEEN years of intense and difficult studies, and now performs a highly skill based job where he is literally holding human lives in his hands gets paid ONE THIRDof what some douche talking in a mic gets.

Get the fuck outta here with your "poor widdle Va doesn't get paid enough" tripe.

She wants more money? Then work more, cunt. You literally haven't had a role in EIGHT years. You are not a prominent VA.

And people love bringing up the Jap VA scene, claiming they get paid more' which is blatantly false. They literally have to take on all sorts of jobs such as events, talkshows, meet n greets, handshake event, signings. And even then only the top 5% are getting these huge paydays, and they had to fucking slog for years to get there by doing all of the above.
    Nice fresh account, post it on your main to tell us how you really feel.

Let's just say you're absolutely clueless if you think top VAs are more wealthy than top surgeons in the US. I can say with 100% certainty that is false. "but but but the dollar per hour!" Use critical thinking and maybe you will find the flaw here.

I'm not even that sympathetic to Hellena because she threw a VA that has fought for better pay and work conditions for the entire industry under the bus just to try to farm sympathy for herself. She also discredited the devs who are the reason the game is a success 1000x more than her as if she is the main reason Bayonetta is an iconic character. If she didn't try to attack Hale, the devs nor cite bullshit like Platinum sets the budget for the game nor make complete bullshit claims about how much the franchise earned I would be more in her corner.

Even with that said, your posts are so far out of line and reality that you even knew it and had to make an alt account just to post them. Amazing.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2022-10-17 at 04:18 AM.

Nice fresh account, post it on your main to tell us how you really feel.

Let's just say you're absolutely clueless if you think top VAs are more wealthy than top surgeons in the US. I can say with 100% certainty that is false. "but but but the dollar per hour!" Use critical thinking and maybe you will find the flaw here.

I'm not even that sympathetic to Hellena because she threw a VA that has fought for better pay and work conditions for the entire industry under the bus just to try to farm sympathy for herself. If she didn't try to attack Hale nor cite bullshit like Platinum sets the budget for the game nor make complete bullshit claims about how much the franchise earned I would be more in her corner.

Even with that said, your posts are so far out of line and reality that you even knew it and had to make an alt account just to post them. Amazing.
    >B b but the dollar per hour doesn't count because.... It just doesn't okay.
    Want more money? Put in more hours. Surgeons put in actual time. A surgeon has to do a full month's work for what she gets in 16 hours. Now seethe you lil fagboi.

You're just as retarded and insane as Helena is
    >Literally quoted the book of Lazarus and condemned platinum to burn in hell.
    This is the totally stable woman you're simping for

Bonus points the most hilarious part of this is twitter warriors thinking Kamiya blocked them for their out rage.

Its his thing, was literally a fucking kickstarter goal. Don't @ him if you don't want blocked.

The above poster is basically the opposite of these guys also for the record, neither one is a good look lol.

Bonus points the most hilarious part of this is twitter warriors thinking Kamiya blocked them for their out rage.
    Its his thing, was literally a fucking kickstarter goal. Don't @ him if you don't want blocked.
    I mean, I don't know who thinks they blocked him out of rage.

But that doesn't exactly excuse his general attitude, like insulting people and mocking them. It's whatever that he blocks people instantly, but just because it's "his thing" doesn't mean it's exactly stellar behavior.

Especially when he's blocking people for "responding in English" when...he tweets in English. While ridiculing people. I'm not sure he's exactly someone worth defending either. I don't know him outside of twitter but if that's the introduction people get, he's going to draw flak even if it's a "joke".

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    I mean, I don't know who thinks they blocked him out of rage.
    Literally the entire thread was full of them.

But that doesn't exactly excuse his general attitude, like insulting people and mocking them. It's whatever that he blocks people instantly, but just because it's "his thing" doesn't mean it's exactly stellar behavior.
    His general attitude is hes an asshole. People acting like it's some new revelation or it devalues him as a game dev is hilarious. At least he's not trying to put on a fake front like hes anything but an asshole.

Especially when he's blocking people for "responding in English" when...he tweets in English. While ridiculing people. I'm not sure he's exactly someone worth defending either. I don't know him outside of twitter but if that's the introduction people get, he's going to draw flak even if it's a "joke".
    He mostly tweets in Japanese, very rarely tweets in english and even warns people when he does lmao. It's also not a joke, its 100% real and people that think it's because of their tweet crusade like that tweet thread is full of are beyond overrating their importance to the man.

Literally the entire thread was full of them.

His general attitude is hes an asshole. People acting like it's some new revelation or it devalues him as a game dev is hilarious. At least he's not trying to put on a fake front like hes anything but an asshole.

He mostly tweets in Japanese, very rarely tweets in english and even warns people when he does lmao. It's also not a joke, its 100% real and people that think it's because of their tweet crusade like that tweet thread is full of are beyond overrating their importance to the man.
    All I saw was a bunch of people saying they don't care about his "rules", not that they thought he was rage blocking.

And I mean, his Wikipedia page says that apparently he's a soft spoken and nice guy in person, and his Twitter account is a joke mostly.

If his account is how he really acts, then I don't find much sympathy for him, regardless of his accomplishments. I do not think the end justifies the means.