Any hype for DioField Chronicles? Still trying to decide if I want to play it on Switch or PC

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Goblin View Post
    Apart from the obvious one in SF2, Killer Instinct has held up remarkably well.
    Absolutely. There were some gems that stand the test of time. But there were definitely plenty of derivative attempts to capture the success of their peers, which just didn't hit the mark.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mysterymask View Post
    I mean as far as SNES fighters go can't go wrong with Weapon Lord
    We are likely two of the few who ever played that game.

This is a great example of a game attempting to break the mold. Where I believe it fell short was the complicated, and unfamiliar inputs. Pulling off special moves in that game was quite challenging. Felt like going from a Capcom fighter, to an SNK fighter, but even more complicated.

Example, the character Korr's firestorm: Hold B (forethrust) or C (forestrike), Up, Jump towards enemy, Down.

Not quite as simple as quarter circle, or a charge attack. It took real skill to play Weapon Lord well. Which likely turned a decent amount of people off as it wasn't quite as easy to just jump in and have a baseline level of knowledge of how to play based on previous games experience. Not saying that it is bad to not be a clone though. I have a very special place in my heart for Weapon Lord, and rate it in my personal top 10 of greatest fighting games of all time.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by Mysterymask View Post
    Power Rangers Fighting Edition
    I swear so many people seem to have either forgotten or never realised this game existed, it's slightly imbalanced because the Green Ranger is OPAF but it was a stunning game.

Sports and Fitness mod, Brit with weird sleeping hours.
    Has good taste in ale, bad taste in D&D choices.

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Goblin View Post
    I swear so many people seem to have either forgotten or never realised this game existed, it's slightly imbalanced because the Green Ranger is OPAF but it was a stunning game.
    This topic has me watching 'Top Fighting Game on X Platform" videos. I sort of remember this game, and am interested in trying it out.

I have picked up a few roms recently to try some older games I remember loving, and I have been slapped back and forth with nostalgia not being reality.

Some of them were good at their time of release, but boy oh boy do some not hold up today. We have been spoiled with how gaming has evolved so much so that it is a bit difficult to go back and appreciate the games that were not the leaders in their genre.

Even some PS2 fighters that I remember loving, and hard to revisit for me.

Those rose tinted glasses I was wearing were nearly blinding.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    This topic has me watching 'Top Fighting Game on X Platform" videos. I sort of remember this game, and am interested in trying it out.

I have picked up a few roms recently to try some older games I remember loving, and I have been slapped back and forth with nostalgia not being reality.

Some of them were good at their time of release, but boy oh boy do some not hold up today. We have been spoiled with how gaming has evolved so much so that it is a bit difficult to go back and appreciate the games that were not the leaders in their genre.

Even some PS2 fighters that I remember loving, and hard to revisit for me.

Those rose tinted glasses I was wearing were nearly blinding.
    Oh I agree...like I absolutely CANNOT play any of the older Tekkens anymore even 3 feels super sluggish to me now and playing Virtual Fighter on the Yakuza games felt so to me despite playing them in their prime. 3D fighters and non Capcom 2Ds really don't stand the test of time too well

Quote Originally Posted by Hotmail View Post
    Any hype for DioField Chronicles? Still trying to decide if I want to play it on Switch or PC
    Yes, but honestly I decided to wait for a sale. I think it’s going to be great, and I can’t wait to play it, but it is pretty expensive at launch(which I don’t mind, that is not a criticism of the game), and I have a huge backlog! I’m already playing Xenoblade, so yeah….one day soon!!!

Sad that I can’t find it in myself to support this game day one. Basically, if I’m not the target audience for that game, who is, lol?
    Last edited by Zenfoldor; 2022-09-24 at 07:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenfoldor View Post
    Yes, but honestly I decided to wait for a sale. I think it’s going to be great, and I can’t wait to play it, but it is pretty expensive at launch(which I don’t mind, that is not a criticism of the game), and I have a huge backlog! I’m already playing Xenoblade, so yeah….one day soon!!!
    I know! I ended up buying it on Switch, and with taxes the total shot up to 92 CAD$. Imagine paying a hundred bucks for a video game, inflation is craaaazy.

Turns out, it's a Strategy RPG with only 4 player-controlled units on the field, which is very bold from the devs. But the depth and complexity gradually builds up to what is ultimately a fairly satisfying tactical experience with okay political intrigue to back it up.

Good luck with your backlog!

lol here I am with backlog of more games than I have ever played and did some drunk shopping over the weekend, lol. Both Switch Zelda games(skyward sword, links awakening), a loftwing amiibo and this book:

https://www.amazon.com/Infinite-Cris...s%2C107&sr=8-1

All of which at the time were/are on sale. I'm actually pretty happy with these purchases, which is a rarity after drunk shopping, lol.