Have to agree. Zelda is not a proper full on RPG. It is an action adventure game with RPG elements. And puzzle solving ones.

I'd personally just call it what it is. Action-Adventure.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2017-07-30 at 05:23 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Zelda an RPG...Oh man I wish I could have the use of gifs in this forum. Theres some great facepalm ones in my library.

I saw that only 17% of Switch owners downloaded and linked to the app and i really wonder why in this case. Not enough own a phone that can run it? No interest in smart phone apps total? or negative word of mouth got out that fast?

Its a weird vaccum since existing stuff like the destiny companion app are totally optional and ignored by most. Theres a PSN app but i dont know anyone that uses that either so maybe its just a case of console owners not wanting to deal with?

My only worry is that they dont improve it and try and make it mandatory in a more in your face way with future titles.

I mean thank god theres a PS4 monster hunter on the way in case they try and lock monster hunter XX online stuff behind this nightmare.

-Thought a bunch of app developers are calling it a scam to improve the face of their mobile market. Every search/use flags it in the database and raises the company profile on the big name app stores and allows Nintendo to go "see? we told you mobage is the future!" to their shareholders. Make it mandatory for their singular home console? thats a lot of numbers to inflate app store presence.
    Last edited by dope_danny; 2017-07-30 at 09:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    Have to agree. Zelda is not a proper full on RPG. It is an action adventure game with RPG elements. And puzzle solving ones.

I'd personally just call it what it is. Action-Adventure.
    Zelda doesn't even have RPG elements. Zelda has almost no character customization, you play the game 1 single way, there is no leveling system. It literally isn't even close to an RPG. Fucking online shooters and Ubisoft tower games have more RPG elements then Zelda. It's an adventure game through and through. That guy is on my ignore list for a reason though lol... It's not even really an action game either as the combat is generally slow paced and methodical. It's mostly just purely an adventure game based on exploration and puzzle solving.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2017-07-30 at 10:25 PM.

The only three Zelda games I consider close to what we think of as RPGs are Adventure of Link, which has a simplistic leveling system, Skyward Sword with it's simplistic crafting system, and Breath of the Wild, with it's amount of gear and emphasis on stats.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Legend of Zelda to me is not a pure RPG, but it certainly has RPG elements. Zelda has always had a sense of progression with Link attaining new gear and powers throughout his adventures. To me, getting a heart container is not that different from getting extra health points when leveling up in WoW for example, since both mechanics serve a similar purpose of progression. Heck, in Breath of the Wild there are actual stats on gear and weapons, where larger numbers progresses Link to becoming stronger than the monsters he fights, eventually making certain foes a cakewalk when compared to when he started his adventure. Not to mention that consumables like food, elixirs, and crafting supplies are very similar to other RPGs.

However, the core aspects of the franchise to me are exploration, action, and puzzle solving, where the RPG elements are simply a means to enhance those elements. Also, quite a few of the games in the series have been light on the aspects that dedicated RPG fans look for in the genre, so it is somewhat understandable why some would not consider Zelda an RPG.
    Last edited by Frozen Death Knight; 2017-07-30 at 11:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Faifel View Post
    And every other game as heart containers are leveling, the character is named by the player(highly relevant to a game being an rpg) and gear providing secondary advancement. Add in the fact that you have options for progression in nearly all of them and it is most assuredly an rpg. It isn't a true D&D style rpg, but it still counts. Especially when you add in elemental resistance elements, potions and the like.
    Able to name a character = rpg!

Daddy Dating Sim RPG confirmed LUL

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Death Knight View Post
    Zelda has always had a sense of progression with Link attaining new gear and powers throughout his adventures.
    Mario attains more powers as you progress through a Mario game as well. Nobody is ever confusing it for an RPG. The straws, they be grasped at.

When the "gear" or "upgrades: you get are 100% linear and required for you to beat the game that is hardly an RPG element. The N64 Zelda games being even remotely called RPGs is in fact laughable.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Mario attains more powers as you progress through a Mario game as well. Nobody is ever confusing it for an RPG. The straws, they be grasped at.

When the "gear" or "upgrades: you get are 100% linear and required for you to beat the game that is hardly an RPG element. The N64 Zelda games being even remotely called RPGs is in fact laughable.
    The nature of Mario items is different when comparing the original Zelda and Mario games with each other. A heart container in Zelda is a permanent upgrade to his basic health pool where it flat out makes Link able to take more hits, more akin to what you would expect in an RPG. The mushroom in Super Mario Bros. is a temporary extra health in a game where one hit kills Mario every time without any items. To say that both series handle items the exact same way would be incorrect.
    Last edited by Frozen Death Knight; 2017-07-31 at 12:13 AM.

Hey look, went to 10 different stores in 4 different cities and none had switchs, what a suprise. guess nintendo is still content at being shit at marketing.

My right joy con uses more power than my left

Fuck
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

I'm curious does anyone find this console uncomfortable to use? I like playing games in bed and have done so with my Vita for ages so I was playing Mario Kart on it last night in portable mode and it was rather uncomfortable to play, I could feel my hands cramping up which is unusual as i've never had this issue before. I dunno if it's something to do with the fact that it's a wider and heavier console than i'm used to? (I've played my vita for thousands of hours and not had an issue)

Does anyone have any tips for making it more comfortable to hold? do things like the trigger grip cases help and even exist?

Thanks to Shyama for this beautiful signature <3

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post

Fuck
    huh, wierd
    my left seems to be losing more power than my right

Fuck
    That's because pretty much everything is in the right JoyCon. Outside of the standard controls and HD rumble, you also have the IR pointer, gyro controls, and the NFC chip.

But it's incredibly annoying when you have a near constant low battery on the damn thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Nasriel View Post
    I'm curious does anyone find this console uncomfortable to use? I like playing games in bed and have done so with my Vita for ages so I was playing Mario Kart on it last night in portable mode and it was rather uncomfortable to play, I could feel my hands cramping up which is unusual as i've never had this issue before. I dunno if it's something to do with the fact that it's a wider and heavier console than i'm used to? (I've played my vita for thousands of hours and not had an issue)

Does anyone have any tips for making it more comfortable to hold? do things like the trigger grip cases help and even exist?
    Honestly, no. I don't find it uncomfortable at all. But that's just me.

I am sure there are grips you can buy, but I doubt there's anything official. If you find the console uncomfortable in hand-held, there is probably not much you can do about it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    Kinda have to agree. The Wii was basically sold as exercise equipment and collected dust.
    It had galaxy 2 and xenoblade which are 2 of the best games ever made. At least it had those.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    TBH the Wii U has a top 3 library for Nintendo home consoles IMO. Only the SNES and Gamecube top it for me. Wii literally only had 4 games I would ever want to replay, and the N64 really fucked up having absolutely 0 RPGs outside of Paper Mario.

The Switch should surpass the Wii U, if it actually gets ports of 90% of the good games as well as builds it's own solid library.
    The wii has only 2 games that I replay. It's funny because I always say I love n64, but outside of b&k and the zeldas, I have never, and probably will never, play/replay any n64 game ever again. I guess I didn't like it as much as I thought I did. I'm a bit skeptical for switch, but it is getting ok 3rd party with fate and senran. Hopefully sales and attach rates keep going up so it doesn't just end up being a female corrin/xenoblade 2 simulator.

Fuck
    Its got more shit in it, amiibo reader in the stick and the IRF reader on the bottom. Left is just rumble and buttons with the green light display.

Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    Its got more shit in it, amiibo reader in the stick and the IRF reader on the bottom. Left is just rumble and buttons with the green light display.
    Also when they are paired as single controller, the right one is only one using gyro.

Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post
    Also when they are paired as single controller, the right one is only one using gyro.
    All that extra crap and the left is the desynching one when its got less hardware in it than a Wii-mote

Bought Pro Controller...haven't touched Joycons outside of using it while portable since....

Though considering using them for Splatoon....have a feeling using one hand to aim, and one to move may feel better than having to move the entire pro controller (I'm assuming it uses the right Joycon for motion like BotW does).
    There is a thin line between not knowing and not caring, and I like to think that I walk that line every day.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    It had galaxy 2 and xenoblade which are 2 of the best games ever made. At least it had those.

The wii has only 2 games that I replay. It's funny because I always say I love n64, but outside of b&k and the zeldas, I have never, and probably will never, play/replay any n64 game ever again. I guess I didn't like it as much as I thought I did. I'm a bit skeptical for switch, but it is getting ok 3rd party with fate and senran. Hopefully sales and attach rates keep going up so it doesn't just end up being a female corrin/xenoblade 2 simulator.
    on the 64 I played the fuck out of Chameleon twist. That game is a classic