https://imgur.com/a/dFso2

Highlights from the Splatoon GDC 2018 panel. Includes concept art for the original rabbits concept.

Ark on the Switch?

Good God whats it going to be 240p 20 fps? Doesn't the game run at 720p on the PS4 Pro ffs? Literally the shittiest game developers known to man.

Ys VIII for the Switch launches June 26th.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Ark on the Switch?

Good God whats it going to be 240p 20 fps? Doesn't the game run at 720p on the PS4 Pro ffs? Literally the shittiest game developers known to man.
    To add to this.

This is what it took to make the game "playable" (with pro fallowing behind) and after sooooo many patch's.

For the love of god do not buy Ark on Switch.

I think Ark will be the first game on Switch to use the already demanding Crytek Engine. Its going to look and run like shit.

(As they point out in the video there is actually moments Pro runs better)
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    To add to this.

This is what it took to make the game "playable" (with pro fallowing behind) and after sooooo many patch's.

For the love of god do not buy Ark on Switch.

I think Ark will be the first game on Switch to use the already demanding Crytek Engine. Its going to look and run like shit.

(As they point out in the video there is actually moments Pro runs better)
    I've taken a look everywhere and what I've seen is Ark is an UE4 game and not a CryEngine game.

- - - Updated - - -

Nintendo Wire compares Hyrule Warriors between Wii U and Switch.

Holy shit that comparison above is the worst thing I have ever seen. Did someone with a complete lack of display knowledge do it? The Wii U side is capturing at RGB full while the signal is providing RGB limited. The crushed blacks made me smh a few seconds in. I guess we can at least take from it that the frame rate is improved. Doesn't look solid 60, but better.

Holy shit that comparison above is the worst thing I have ever seen. Did someone with a complete lack of display knowledge do it? The Wii U side is capturing at RGB full while the signal is providing RGB limited. The crushed blacks made me smh a few seconds in. I guess we can at least take from it that the frame rate is improved. Doesn't look solid 60, but better.
    How can you tell? Are you thinking it's because the Wii U version is dimmer? The Wii U version is clouded, while the Switch version has a sunny day.

Also, render distance is greatly improved. In the first battle sequence, you could see the Bokoblins in the distance behind the debris in the Switch version, but you can't in the Wii U version.

Also, GameXplain might have done it better:

Technicalities aside it's a transformation.

We don't need Comic Book Guy to teach all the super srs pokemon lore and talk about what kind of transformation it is. I doubt most people care. People have wanted Ash-Greninja in Smash 4 already, it's probably a change that has a high chance of happening.
    I’m not arguing that’s it’s not a transformation. Merely pointing out that the other poster was wrong in saying Greninja had a Mega Evolution.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    yeah and primal reversion is also completely different from mega evolution
    See above.

ANd oh yeah, clip of Ark: Survival Evolved running in portable mode from the GDC stream:

That thing barely holds together on PC and they're trying to fit it in Switch?

Quote Originally Posted by johnhoftb View Post
    I've taken a look everywhere and what I've seen is Ark is an UE4 game and not a CryEngine game.
    Wow your right mybad, Now I am more impressed with how shitty it runs.

- - - Updated - - -

ANd oh yeah, clip of Ark: Survival Evolved running in portable mode from the GDC stream:

I'm going to laugh my ass off if the Switch Port actually runs better than the PS4/XB1 versions.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

15+ Year Old Account
    https://twitter.com/kitosan/status/976567007498784768

GDC: Clip of early ARMS and a prototype JoyCon.
    Dang, was hoping the prototype would be ps3 boomerang style type of weird.

How can you tell? Are you thinking it's because the Wii U version is dimmer? The Wii U version is clouded, while the Switch version has a sunny day.
    No, I'm thinking that because there are literally crushed blacks in the Wii U footage. Not the overcast.

The Wii U only out puts RGB limited, if you capture it at RGB full that is what happens. Same as if you have the display it's set to at full on your TV. Wii U doesn't have the option of either like more modern systems do.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm going to laugh my ass off if the Switch Port actually runs better than the PS4/XB1 versions.
    Hard to judge based off that but from the amount of input lag present I'm going to guess that is running at 15-20 FPS. Not showing direct feed footage for a reason.

Hard to judge based off that but from the amount of input lag present I'm going to guess that is running at 15-20 FPS. Not showing direct feed footage for a reason.
    From my understanding, they still have a few months to optimize a number of things and are currently working on making sure things like the UI, controls, and content are suited for the Switch itself.

From my understanding, they still have a few months to optimize a number of things and are currently working on making sure things like the UI, controls, and content are suited for the Switch itself.
    They have had over a year on the PS4/XB1 version and it still runs like shit. The PC version even still runs like shit (but better than it did at release).

Here are a few quotes on some of the issues they needed to look at for the Switch port from the Game Industry.biz article I linked last page:

"In some locations you need to downsize a bit on the distance you're able to view. But not as much as you'd think compared with Xbox One and PS4. Obviously, in terms of Xbox One X and PS4 Pro, that's a different story. But compared with the base platforms, Switch is not that bad."
    "Performance is not really the issue. The issue instead is in the size of carts. The 32GB carts are expensive, you shouldn't be wanting to do that. So we need to fit everything on 16GB, whereas the standard game on PS4 is much, much larger. It's a crazy ratio we're talking about. However, thankfully, there are a lot of opportunities for reduction without changing anything anyone will notice. Another thing we can do is do a cartridge version and then do staggered downloads to make the game complete. That's probably the hardest part. Finding all the new technicalities and quirks that you get with a new platform.
    "Of course, with the runtime memory footprint, there's not as much as PS4 or Xbox One, so that means you need to reduce the content that is being used at any one time. Partially that's a case of having fewer dinos here or there, and downsizing on actual content experience. But that's only a bit. The rest is just from clever compression algorithms."

Wow your right mybad, Now I am more impressed with how shitty it runs.
    Yea and PUBG runs bad on unreal too. Fortnite on the other hand, same engine and runs great. Not to mention all the recent fighting games migrating to Unreal, where they have to be a locked 60 fps and all run at that on it.

It's mind boggling that the Ark and PUBG devs can't optimize on an engine that is clearly well optimized for every other game that uses it.

They have had over a year on the PS4/XB1 version and it still runs like shit. The PC version even still runs like shit (but better than it did at release).
    Also, this isn't the creators of Ark themselves (Studio Wildcard), this is a separate company dealing with the port (Abstraction Games).

Also, this isn't the creators of Ark themselves (Studio Wildcard), this is a separate company dealing with the port (Abstraction Games).
    It will be 10/10 gold if the port company manages to make a better running version of the game then the native studio. I have doubts however.